West Coast/Hawaii CA, NV, WA, NM, UT, CO,AZ

Southern California Nightly Canyon Run Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 11:15 AM

Southern California Nightly Canyon Run Thread

This is mostly just copied and pasted from another forum.
Unlike the Mountain Run thread this is more impromptu. Not like something you all need to organize to go with a bunch of people.

If you're gonna go out or want to go out canyon driving at night, post it here! Post some daytime canyon runs too, even though those are more scarier & you have more chances of crashing & even getting a ticket.

WARNING: Canyon driving during the day is very dangerous. It doubles when you go at night. I don't recommend this activity for anyone that has never been canyon driving. As long as you stay within your limits, you'll be OK.

YOUR CAR MUST BE IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, ESPECIALLY THE BRAKES, SUSPENSION, WHEELS, & TIRES.

Some rules & disclaimers to go buy:

1) If you crash, it's your fault. That's the risk of canyon driving.

2) If you crash against another car in our group while driving, each person takes care of their own car. You'll have to make up a story with your insurance agent. Tell them you dropped your gun inside the car & that you were trying to pick it up when all of a sudden, you saw the wall coming at you or something like that.

3) If you hit another vehicle up there (in example: another car that has nothing to do with our canyon run like a parked car on the road or some other innocent driver on a canyon road) you will be responsible for the damage since they are not part of the run & it's a California law responsibility. Hit & run is a felony.

4) Try not to tailgate too much. Too many people have hit each other by doing this 'cause they have to stop all of a sudden or the person behind ends up blowing up a tire 'cause he / she couldn't see the rock that the person in front of him / her swerved for.

5) The only way I could see someone suing you for damage is that you purpously crash into another parked car. You gotta be a dumb *** or totally blind to do that. Oh yeah, & if you physically & intentionally go damage another car with a stick or rock (in example: you're standing there & some other guy / girl gives you a dirty look & to get even, you start beating on his / her car), most likely the owner will kick your *** & then sue you. That's the risk of being a dumb ***.

6) Respect the roads. They will respect you.

7) Just because the car in front of you takes a turn at XX MPH (in example: car A can do 70 MPH in that 30 MPH turn) doesn't mean you can. Take it at your own pace. We usually wait at the next turn to make sure that everyone is following & accounted for.

8) Canyon driving is a GREAT way to learn how your car controls. It's also a GREAT way to see how quick you can eat it if you're not careful!

9) Don't bring a friend if they get motion sickness. It's different for a passenger than it is for the driver. Trust me. It ain't pretty.

10) ALL PARTICIPANTS SHOULD HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER & CARRY A 2 WAY RADIO DURING A CANYON RUN. THESE COME IN VERY HANDY IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. (I dont think these are necessary but they are useful. I find that sometimes its hard to make out what each other is saying over the radio)

Last edited by Suhster85; 08-14-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:18 AM

Anyway I used to live up in La Canada and drive up angeles crest at least once a week but now that I live in LA I havent been for a while. I think that I'm gonna try and start going once a week or so. I usually drive up to Mt. Wilson, Drive around that circle thing at the top and then head back down through little tujunga. If I'm with some friends I usually stay up there longer and run Wilson a few times. Never been to Azusa or GMR but am interested in trying it out. I am in the process of selling my Zenki S14 now and am going to pick up a Kouki soon so I will start going up again when I pick up the kouki.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:39 PM

I dont even have my s13 yet but i will soon... I've been messing around the canyons near malibu with a hybrid seabring (eclipse motor) broke the tranny... My cousin and I wish to run the canyons with you guys in a CFI c4 vette... we were supposed to go to many of the meetings you guys have but somthing always gets in the way.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:00 PM

You work for RB motoring?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:05 PM

no just a friend =0) .... so when are you guys hitting the canyons?

Last edited by QR25DE; 08-14-2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:32 PM

Well I stated in my post when Im gonna start going again
Old 08-14-2004, 08:34 PM

uhh....guys...I dont think its wise to post where people canyon run. We never know who is scoping out these forums. Cops, for one. My suggestion is to PM/AIM/email each other....I just think it might bring the "heat" down on our favorite spots...just my $.02......
Old 08-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

e-spec is right...we have been doing that quite a lot lately(saying where and when) and should start doing it via PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:47 PM

^ yea man i totally agree, if ur gonna name the canyon or something AT LEAST put some *** in front of it or start coming up with some nicknames for the places or something....
and yes, talk about it via aim/pm/email....not really a wise idea to point it out to where anyone can read this...
Old 08-15-2004, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
e-spec is right...we have been doing that quite a lot lately(saying where and when) and should start doing it via PM.

although the few we've mentioned by name directly were planned as slower, easy drives during the day...
Old 08-15-2004, 11:49 AM

cool well you can post up that you are gonna go for a run on any given night and if people are gonna meet you or would like to go on one too they can PM you I guess. I dunno I got this from another forum and its worked out fine for them.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:43 PM

so basically it'll be:

Date: x/x/0x

Time: xx:xx

PM me for place.

Sounds like a great idea. Still gonna be MIA for anything until I get back to work in september probably.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:45 PM

^ no worries man, its all about being safe and having fun...the rules are completely fine...
Old 08-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by calidrifter

Date: x/x/0x

Time: xx:xx

PM me for place.

Good idea.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:34 AM

date tomorrow or today .. 1:30am lol 8/17
time .. after Tab Tuesday .. in walnut, ca @ StarBucks
mountain .. G * R .. =P pm me
putting on New Falken Tires Today ^_^