West Coast/Hawaii CA, NV, WA, NM, UT, CO,AZ

Last Minute FORMULA D Event!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

My friend Ray. He goes to PCC for like one class and sees him there on a regular basis.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

I thought Gushi still went to San gabriel High?

Whatever...I've been lazy and haven't uploaded my crappy pics. Anyone know where I can upload some small video clips?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Contributing Member

Found out what went wrong with Gushi. Before his last run, he lost his 3rd gear, so he was drifting in 2nd to 4th gear. So basically he was running without a gear in the two last runs.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

told you he's overrated lol

Round 2 Sugo Mr. Ueno almost handled *** with his Soarer, and he had no power steering the whole day. Gushi loses a gear (is it me or is there almost always something wrong with his car?) and it's wall city
Old 10-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

But power steering isn't necessary for drifting. Hell, some old school cars like FBs didn't have power steering and they're very driftable. But not having a gear is different. You don't get the power you need from fourth gear like you do from 3rd. I heard he has a new car in teh works though. The green one is totalled.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ArticDragon
But power steering isn't necessary for drifting. Hell, some old school cars like FBs didn't have power steering and they're very driftable. But not having a gear is different. You don't get the power you need from fourth gear like you do from 3rd. I heard he has a new car in teh works though. The green one is totalled.
Unfair comparison - an FB stock weighs about 2200 pounds, and is smaller in every dimension. Ueno's Soarer has countless weight saving tricks applied to it, and in its current form still weighs around 1300kg (2900 lbs) stripped down. You're telling me that trying to control an extra 700lbs without power steering is cheesecake? You're not just guiding the car during drifting; the initial weight shift to initiate a drift usually involves flicking the steering wheel quickly toward the apex of the corner, and that takes muscle without power steering.

Try driving one of the non-power steering karts at Speed Zone for about 2-3 8 minute runs (those don't even weigh more than 200 pounds) and tell me how your arms feel afterward
Old 10-27-2004, 12:51 PM

^ yea the slick track at speedzone is sick...i love those little go-karts.... and yep, my arm sorta ached after driving those things a couple of times, but i guess thats b/c i didnt stretch or anything...
Old 10-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

I have, and I do see what you mean and stuff. And I know oving the wheel w/o powersteering is hard. I've done it in my car w/o the car on just for kicks. Anyways, you gotta admit, drifting would be harder without that 3rd gear though.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:47 PM

Anyways, you gotta admit, drifting would be harder without that 3rd gear though.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

I have, and I do see what you mean and stuff. And I know oving the wheel w/o powersteering is hard. I've done it in my car w/o the car on just for kicks. Anyways, you gotta admit, drifting would be harder without that 3rd gear though.
This from a guy who barely started drifting low speed in the rain

Moving the wheel without the car on is different - the only thing you're fighting against is friction between the tire and the street. Moving the wheel without power steering when the car is pushing 60-70mph with the purpose of shifting the direction of 2500-3000 lbs is a lot harder than to skip third. How f_cking hard is it for your wrist to move the shifter anyways? ROFL

Prodigy huh? If he was really a "Prodigy" his accelerated intelligence and learning would have told him that losing 3rd gear = done for the night. The top tier D1 Drivers (in which, again, I do not see how people put Gushi in the same level as N.O.B., Kazama, etc.) don't risk anything if something is broken on their cars. Granted, Ueno went out on the track with no power steering, but he lost p/s during practice and had time to drive without it and see if he could handle it, which he could. That's not the same as losing 3rd gear - dude, losing third gear means something that is "absolutely needed to drift" as you keep trying to say isn't there anymore. Gushi lost 3rd, and his "Prodigy" intelligence didn't tell him that he's done for the night. Yeah he was going for the Z... now he has no Z and has to build yet another car for the next event.

Once again it was "go all out" and obviously he tanked another car. Um, that's not the first time "go all out" ended up in trashing a car for him... or the second... or the third...

So anyways, done with this one. If you still want to insist that it's harder with a missing gear than without p/s, then I'll say "without 3rd gear you shouldn't be trying to drift." but this all started because you said p/s isn't necessary for drifting, when in fact, depending on vehicle, it is.

go go Ken Gushi fan ROFL
Old 10-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

I never called him a prodigy. I agree he's just at the level of the other drifters. He just started earlier. The reason he got to be good at drifting is because he practice early. If any one of the otehr drifters started at his age, they'd prob be at his level at his age right now or even better.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

I never called him a prodigy. I agree he's just at the level of the other drifters. He just started earlier. The reason he got to be good at drifting is because he practice early. If any one of the otehr drifters started at his age, they'd prob be at his level at his age right now or even better.
I never said you did LOL Edgar you never respond directly to a rebuttal hahah

have a safe drive tonight with Manly Miata et al.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

You suck for not goinglol
Old 10-28-2004, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
You suck for not goinglol
waddahail?!?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

My last post was towards tonights cruise.

Sorry about the randomness haha