West Coast/Hawaii CA, NV, WA, NM, UT, CO,AZ

CA blues

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:45 PM

CA blues

hey I live down in SD and I was wondering what the laws about placement of the front license plate were, mine was sort of wiggly so i took it off and put it inside on the dash on the right side, I just want to make sure that this is legal, i have seen it done, but that doesnt really mean much.

Also I am planning on getting 4 pt harnesses soon to get rid of the annoying auto belts, and I thought it would be a good idea to check if those were legal too. I heard from a friend on the mirage forums that they werent due to non DOT approval, but I have heard otherwise as well, so I thought maybe somebody would know,

Thanks in advance for any help i get from yall, Im not really super worried about everything being legal on my car, because CA is generally pretty lame about their car laws, but stuff like that could get me pulled over pretty easily,

Dan
Old 10-27-2003, 07:52 PM

I suggerst that you put your plate back on immediately. The cops especially down in Diego are really strict in enforcing even the meanealist (sp?) of laws.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:58 PM

yes put your front plate back on. having on the front window is still illegal. my 1st ticket in high school was cause no front license plate.-dave
Old 10-28-2003, 09:25 AM

crappers~!! i should my license plate back on too... does anyone know how much the fine with one in the front??
Old 10-30-2003, 05:10 PM

It's not illegal to have it on the windshield, it just has to be "securely" mounted and clearly visible. Haha, I went to court and had the judge used that against me since I didn't "securely" mount it on the windshield. Now I just don't give a damn, if they pull me over I just put it back on and have it sign off since it's just a $10 fix it ticket. Here's the think to California License plate mounting locations.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm
Old 11-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

I'd say it depends on just how strict *cough bad *cough a cop you run into. Some will just tell you to put it on and give you a warning... others will go into detail about how "...the license plate MUST be mounted securely on the forward-most part of the vehicle". I think the actual law says something like that, as it was a CA Highway Patrol officer that told me that one.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Xren17
It's not illegal to have it on the windshield, it just has to be "securely" mounted and clearly visible. Haha, I went to court and had the judge used that against me since I didn't "securely" mount it on the windshield. Now I just don't give a damn, if they pull me over I just put it back on and have it sign off since it's just a $10 fix it ticket. Here's the think to California License plate mounting locations.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm
Yes, it is 100% illegal if is not mounted on the front of the car, no in-the-windshield tricks. I know people who have gotten ticketd for the windshield thing. And is it really worth the legal trouble?

I've gotten 2 tickets in SD for that. Once was when I got pulled over for incomplete stop at a stop sign, and the cop decided to slap on the front plate ticket. Another time was when my car was parked in the UCSD parking structure over the weekend (free parking on weekends) and the parking enforcement ticketed me. Yes, they are authorized to ticket people that are not in compliance to the CVC.

My personal recommendation: save yourself the trouble because cops (especially in SD) will definitely ticket you no front plate.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:49 PM

Not to be a dick, but did any of you guys check out the link I posted up. Yes a cop can and will cite you for not having a front license plate. But does that necessary make it illegal, no. That's why we have a court system so we can argue about the legality of things. Just to make it clear, I live in SD and go to UCSD, so I've met my share of lame cops because those are the ones that will pull you over for minor ****. On the other hand I've many cool and decent cop, just like in any profession there are both. So what I'm trying to say is that technically it's not illegal, it's just that ppl are 1) too lazy to read what the law says and 2) feel it's not worth their time to go to court to argue their case over a $10 fine.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:06 PM

hmm, well I dont really want to deal with any hassle from cops around here, last thing I need is a ticket full of fix-its,
im working on a custom intake and I have an apexi dual N1 exhaust with hotshot headers, They could probably give me a lot of headache for all that. I realize that its not ILLEGAL, but going through the court system to fight something as worthless as having a license plate in a more aesthetically pleasing spot for me doesnt seem like its worth my time.

anything about the 4 point harnesses tho?
Old 11-02-2003, 11:21 PM

I hear you man, but so far, I haven't even bothered putting my front license plates on or having it on the windshield, I figured it's less likely to attract their attention not to have it than seeing it on the windshield. The previous owner didn't make any holes on the bumper and I'm not about too either. But I'm more worried about that custom intake though, I used to have a civic with a ghetto intake and one day I had to pop my hood for a cop and since it was CARB approved I had to go to a referee to get it smog. More hassle than it's worth. Hey do you drive a black S14 zenki? I saw one a couple of weeks ago on the 805 with the apexi N1 dual and I was loving it. I can't decide between the N1 dual or the greddy DD. What's your take? As for the harness, I haven't heard anyone being ticketed for it but I don't know.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:51 AM

i didnt have holes on my front bumper either...i just used zip ties and mounted in on the grill
Old 11-11-2003, 07:07 PM

nah I dont drive an s14, my car is a red s13 fastback.
but Ive been really happy with the n1 duals, though sometimes they can be a bit loud, but that should be better when i get the silencers, only time I ever get on 805 is usually saturday nights if I go up to hang with san diego f bodies crew for a while,

as for my take on exhausts I have never heard the greddy DD, and for good sound I like having those headers on, they came before the exhaust so I dont know what it sounds like with the original manifold but stock exhaust sounds pretty nice with headers. Hopefully I dont have to pop my hood for any cops after I do my intake, but if I do I still have all my original parts so I shouldnt have any trouble with getting it all taken care of. I havent had any trouble so far with my license plate, or with my 4 pt harness, I really like the feel of the harness over the original belt. feels a lot more secure.