Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

turboing ka24e

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 07:31 PM

I think money issue doesn't really matter here. You always save some money here because you have to spend more there.

When tuning cars, it's not how much money you spend, 'coz you spend it anyway. It's how you like your car tuned. And how you want your engine serviced & maintained.

I'm leaning toward turboing the KAs a bit more because spare engine parts are easy to find. And you can run lower boost to get to the same power level as SRs. Plus, my trucking motor runs quieter than some Y2K-plus import family sedans.

That said, SR is no doubt a better race engine due to higher rev and the aftermarket support is much larger. Also you save the weight of a whole turbo kit from your car since a SR20DET weights the same as a KA24DE (just about 3lbs difference)

So no point arguing whichever is better.

Peace~
Old 11-14-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by kcnoir
I think money issue doesn't really matter here. You always save some money here because you have to spend more there.

When tuning cars, it's not how much money you spend, 'coz you spend it anyway. It's how you like your car tuned. And how you want your engine serviced & maintained.

I'm leaning toward turboing the KAs a bit more because spare engine parts are easy to find. And you can run lower boost to get to the same power level as SRs. Plus, my trucking motor runs quieter than some Y2K-plus import family sedans.

That said, SR is no doubt a better race engine due to higher rev and the aftermarket support is much larger. Also you save the weight of a whole turbo kit from your car since a SR20DET weights the same as a KA24DE (just about 3lbs difference)

So no point arguing whichever is better.

Peace~
You will spend more in the long run with a turbo KA beacuae of internals,fuel upgrades ,,but the ka is baddass turbo and the stock parts availability is here and you can be different,Sr-turb right out of the box,strong internals,expensive replacment parts,prices are rising,theres probaly a million kat vs sr threads so do some searching
Old 11-15-2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by s13zilvia
You will spend more in the long run with a turbo KA beacuae of internals,fuel upgrades ,,but the ka is baddass turbo and the stock parts availability is here and you can be different,Sr-turb right out of the box,strong internals,expensive replacment parts,prices are rising,theres probaly a million kat vs sr threads so do some searching
I will, thanks bro.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:55 PM
j-z

my original plans were to swap a sr20det redtop into a s14. then after some researching and pricing ive changed my mind. why spend 3k for a sr swap when i can only spend 1k and get the same if not more power by turboing the ka. my decision is made. maybe if the ka took a **** on me i would consider doing the sr swap but till then its kat. the most power ive seen made out of a sr redtop is 255 to the wheels. that was with stock turbo at 1 bar. full turbo back exhaust and fmic kit. now with all those goodies its gonna cost another grand or so. now were up to 4k for 255 rwhp. i bet i can only spend 1k or less and get the same numbers out of the ka. having it be more on the moderate side of reliability.