Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

ka24de turbo drift setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:57 PM

ka24de turbo drift setup

Im looking to build a drift set up for my 90 240 and want to swap out the sohc for the dually. car is being built in my garage with the help of my cuz just looking for input on this turbo kit http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0404tur_kit/ and anything i should look out for when swapping out the motor thanks, anything will be greatly appreciated. i
Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Contributing Member

i havnt seen a good KA drift setup yet...
Old 06-13-2005, 11:26 AM

so your saying KA's aren't good for drifting?? i would think they'd kick *** with more torque
Old 06-13-2005, 05:41 PM

No, the KA is an excellent motor to drift in. The torque is there and the hp is low in the powerband where you need it for drifting. I'm sure what Catharisis meant was most pro drifters go with motor swaps, hence he has not seen a good drift setup. To have a professional style drift setup it takes money and if you have money most 240 enthusiasts go with either an sr or an rb. There are much more aftermarket support with these motors than the ka. the ka is not professionally proven and in the eyes of alot of enthusiasts that's what it takes to call a motor a performance motor. The ka is still looked at as a truck motor to the majority of the aftermarket.
I know what the ka could do because that's the motor I started off with. specifically the single cam ka. Alot of street racers in the area would swap in the sr without learning the drifting techniques and when they would race a ka who knows technique they would get killed on the downhill. Not saying that you should think that the ka is a better motor than the sr and start challenging sr's to race but some kids have deep pockets and think that the sr is the only 240 engine worth working on. My car had stock exhaust, stock intake, all stock exept for kei office coilovers and kaaz lsd. It don't take much hp to get sideways.
The dual cam swap into the 240 is very basic when it comes to motor swaps. assuming you have swapped a motor. The block is the same so no motor mounts are needed and you could even keep the soc tranny, assuming it is still good. The ecu does need to be swapped with a doc ecu but wiring is simple and everything is just bolt into place. I'm not sure if it's been done on this forum but swapping the de head onto a e block would bolt right on. This way you could just buy the stock de head and ecu instead of the whole enigine. Just throwing that out there.
I would love to see a ka pro drifter!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

anyone actually have that kit on their car? it looks like a nice setup
Old 06-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Thanks alot for the replies guys. Ive always enjoyed going the route less traveled so thats why im so interested in working on a ka cause when i comes down to it an engine is just an engine. its what you plan to do with it that makes a difference. and no matter what it comes down to theres no replacement for displacement. you can always fortify an engine to withstand what you have in mind and make it rev to your desires it always comes down to displacement and Thanks again for your time guys ill be asking more quetions in the future if you dont mind and by the way i always do it right the first time or i wont do it at all. so please
keep giving me as much useful info as possible and feel free to email me at fulanitodtl@yahoo.com if you have any suggestions. Thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Eyeceman2000
No, the KA is an excellent motor to drift in. The torque is there and the hp is low in the powerband where you need it for drifting. I'm sure what Catharisis meant was most pro drifters go with motor swaps, hence he has not seen a good drift setup. To have a professional style drift setup it takes money and if you have money most 240 enthusiasts go with either an sr or an rb. There are much more aftermarket support with these motors than the ka. the ka is not professionally proven and in the eyes of alot of enthusiasts that's what it takes to call a motor a performance motor. The ka is still looked at as a truck motor to the majority of the aftermarket.
I know what the ka could do because that's the motor I started off with. specifically the single cam ka. Alot of street racers in the area would swap in the sr without learning the drifting techniques and when they would race a ka who knows technique they would get killed on the downhill. Not saying that you should think that the ka is a better motor than the sr and start challenging sr's to race but some kids have deep pockets and think that the sr is the only 240 engine worth working on. My car had stock exhaust, stock intake, all stock exept for kei office coilovers and kaaz lsd. It don't take much hp to get sideways.
The dual cam swap into the 240 is very basic when it comes to motor swaps. assuming you have swapped a motor. The block is the same so no motor mounts are needed and you could even keep the soc tranny, assuming it is still good. The ecu does need to be swapped with a doc ecu but wiring is simple and everything is just bolt into place. I'm not sure if it's been done on this forum but swapping the de head onto a e block would bolt right on. This way you could just buy the stock de head and ecu instead of the whole enigine. Just throwing that out there.
I would love to see a ka pro drifter!
yeah dude i definately know how to drift stock i've drifted the crap out of 3 different cars now all bare *** stock(the ****tiest one was a ff 1.5l, dont even make emm here in US) cus im poor as **** but its cool, nice info too

Last edited by R.Rabbit; 06-14-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:17 AM

If you were thinking of buying a turbo kit for your ka24e here's a couple of links you may be interested in
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
http://www.ka-t.org/jordan/
Old 06-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

i doubt any of you know how to really "drift" except catharsis he know what im talking about.

KA is a good engine but you cant compare it to and SR really. I know this becuase i have both.

KA is good for low to mid speed drifts. It seems to not want to keep the rpm up when doing 3rd gear.

SR is great for mid-high speed. Since you have more power at the top it makes it easier to hold the drift at way higher speeds that a KA.

KA is great to learn with but if you really want to do crazy drifts you need more power thats a fact.

When you turbo a KA you need to have relatively low boost. Other wise the head gasket will go or you could shatter a piston.

So if you have a single stick get a Dual then have more fun.
You dont need SR or RB unless you really want to go competitive.

So on the streets KA is fine. But if you are "drifting" stock *** car meaning NO DIFF, NO SUSPENSION then you arent drifting you just slighty oversteer thats all.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:56 PM

^^^ putting da smack down, hahha
Old 06-20-2005, 06:43 AM

WHAT IF YOUR REDOING THE KA TO REV HIGHER AND HOLD A MODERATE AMOUNT OF BOOST. AND IMPROVING ITS RESPONSE TIME BY USING LIGHTER COMPONENTS. IM NOT PLANNING AT ALL TO KEEP THE KA STOCK ( INTERNALLY I MEAN ) I WANT TO BUILD A KA TO HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS = BIGGER DISPLACEMENT AND JUST AS GOOD RESPONSE TIME AND REV. THATS WHY IM NOT PLANNING ON USING A LARGE TURBO I WANT SOMETHING THAT WILL SPOOL UP QUICK. OH YEAH IVE BEEN ON THIS FORUM FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND I HAVENT INTRODUCED MYSELF. IM FROM NEW YORK, 20 YRS OLD WENT TO SCHOOL FOR AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGY AND WORKED AT DEALERSHIPS FOR A WHILE BUT THAT SUCKED SO NOW IM DRIVING TRUCKS AND USING THE MONEY I MAKE THERE TO BUILD MY 90 240 WHICH I GOT LAST MONTH. AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT BUT I THINK PEOPLE LEAVE THE KA FOR DEAD TO FAST CAUSE WHEN I COMES DOWN TO IT A MOTOR IS JUST A MOTOR ITS WHATS INSIDE THAT COUNTS.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

WOW CAPS MUCH?

OKay well if you want the KA to rev higher thats a HUGE waste of time and money.
If you want quick spool then use a t25,t28,t3/t4 those spool up well.
You should check out forums dedicated to KA-T. They have great info.
If you have turbo then you dont need to rev higher. You just need to mate the best turbo for the power and response you want.
A T04 on a KA is good for at least 250 crank hp on stock engine.
Im not knock your KA-T ive built 2 of them not on my car but friends and for a shop i worked for.
I didnt leave the KA for dead she still drives me around. Its just to hard to maintain a high HP KA vs. SR.
Do more reseach then come to a conclusion.
Going to school for automotive technology is good. When my camry dies i will ask you questions.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:12 PM

thanks for the advice landho experiance beats anything so ill definitley consider yours and sorry for the caps didnt notice. what i just dont understand is if your going to rebuild the ka whats so bad about it. im not looking to make a lot of horspower at most 300 to the wheels. it will be built to hold much more but like i said i want response. and i want to do the swap myself. i've read swapping sr's are more complicated cause of them being right hand drive etc so thats whats really bugging me.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

If you want 300hp safely i suggest pistons,rods and most of all metal head gasket.

A T28 can get you that. Or something similar.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

i love you land ho!

i have never seen anyone express my fellings about a kat so well with out me writing it!

Quick Reply: ka24de turbo drift setup