Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

which intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:43 AM
j-z

hey i have a tyrus intercooler core ill sell you. make me an offer. also, i dont know why alot of people get the biggest intercooler they can get their hands on. its worthless if youre running the stock turbo and stock boost. they think since they spend alot of money on it its gonna make their car faster when in reality it makes it slower.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:35 AM

http://www.streetimports.com/boost/IM001619.jpg

ohh thats nice..me need that..
Old 11-20-2003, 06:38 PM

im in no pos. to buy it yet especially since x-mas comin up but if u still have it in a few mnths ill buy prolly.btw tell me how much you bought it for!
Old 11-21-2003, 08:02 AM

has any one heard of hybrid(brand) ic's ?
Old 11-22-2003, 03:55 PM

ok heres is the whole intercooler basics with your s13>>>

make life easy , save money do it right the first time, call up enjuku racing and have them ship you the greddy vspl for $750 or whatever it is now... all you w/ill need is the other 90$ hot pipe and whatever blow off valve you want...kit includes all hose clamps and silicone couplings all pipes are made to fit and all you need to do is a little chop chop on the bumper support...

BUT if you happen to have good deal on pipes and you can get ahold of a welder... look for a NEW core itself example spearco...
cut and weld your pipes or hell if you can find a mandrel bender... only do this if you have HOOK UPS...

basically i have pipes supply like crazy for very very cheap... and access to tig welder... i sat down one night, did some cut and welding and my set up was done... i ended up buying my friend spearco intercooler core... 26x 9 x 3 with 2.5 inch end tanks... i bought 10 pieces of 2 1/4 side pipings and 5 pieces of 2 1/2 size piping and i had an extra injen intake from my friend that i used as a cold pipe... ordered some silicone couplings...

basically i spent a total of $275 for my intercooler set up... it loves 1 bar and has no heatsoaking problems...

so like i said if you dont have hook ups go with greddy, if you do become mcgyver and make your own stuffs...
Old 11-22-2003, 03:56 PM

full boost at 2500
Old 11-22-2003, 03:58 PM

better becareful with those intercooler from street imports... they coils look like the vspl...but ive heard a few bad things from the company...

i was considering that ic but idk i got a better deal on my current ic...
Old 11-22-2003, 06:36 PM

well ive been savin and looks like ill be able to buy my first round upgrades and im gettin greddy.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by tegg_gsr
well ive been savin and looks like ill be able to buy my first round upgrades and im gettin greddy.
trust me it will be worth it in the long run, from personal experience, half assing stuff gets you into more crap to begin with and probably will cost you more money in the long run
Old 11-22-2003, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tegg_gsr
ahh thanks ,are you the only guy that helps others?
Not to be a dick or anything but posts like that will not make others want to help.

Hybrid intercoolers: I have three friends with them. Two are waiting on installs and one has it installed in a S13 coupe. The verdict from Rudy is that the core is great and the piping is fine "bling bling" but the brackets could be way better. It is more of a "Generic" fit item.

I think I will be going with the Greddy kit if my guy can ever get me my price list back.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:10 PM

dood, if we dont get to your questions fast enough you have to keep in mind alot of us are not on the www 24 hours a day... we do have to work school etc etc lol so come back later on at night and check your threads again... doesnt mean we dont want to help
Old 11-24-2003, 07:29 AM

well i talked to my friend about the whole i/c thing he told me that he has an upgraded inter cooler for a gsx and he would give it to me if i bought him lunch lol.well i did and we mounted it.but now i dont have all the pipes so i called another friend of mine who put the large greddy i/c and he told me i could have his old piping ,but he only had the piece from the throttle body to the i/c.sonow heres my question can i use flex hose for piping from the turbo to the i/c and a little from the throttle body to the pipin?
(just somthing that was suggested to me......)thanx every one
Old 11-24-2003, 09:48 AM

lol, absolutely not... dont use that much flex stuffs... basically... with this intercooler you have RIGHT NOW... what are the end tanks inlet sizes???

what you need to do it hit up enjukuracing and buy their hot pipe for $90 i beleive... the hot pipe is the pipe from turbo and halfway to your intercooler, and then you need another piece for that... i told u man... better find someone now who can weld you some pipes... good luck
Old 11-24-2003, 10:14 AM

I am running a Greddy FMIC currently

Dyno numbers:
SMIC 10lbs 195hp 205lb/ft
FMIC 14lbs 230hp 252lb/ft

Spool is the same as with the SMIC and I am using the stock hot pipe with an HKS SQV

The car is just insanely faster. I would make the FMIC one of your first mods. I had cooling issues when I put the FMIC so I upgraded to a Koyo. Not everyone has cooling issues w/ a FMIC though.

I sourced my core from a friend who upgraded for $250
I sourced my piping from Project Silvia for $200
I sourced my BOV off of ebay for $120
=$570
Not bad for a 35hp and 50lb/ft gain

[Edit added pic] I know my engine bay is dirty and needs organized but I have been way too busy with work.

Last edited by nrcooled; 11-24-2003 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:38 AM

what other mods do you have...

Quick Reply: which intercooler