Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

ca18det vs sr20det

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 04:32 PM

ca18det vs sr20det

which is the better engine and why
Old 08-19-2003, 05:22 PM

Re: ca18det vs sr20det

Originally posted by ilsha
which is the better engine and why
use the search button
Old 08-19-2003, 07:00 PM

maybe you should use the search button and realize my question is not answered.

now someone that knows what they are talking about instead of acting like they know when they dont and posting search could you please answer this simple question.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:01 PM

Reply (I'm slightly biased towards the CA)

The different between the 2 engines
SR...............CA
2.0L............1.8L
91+.............89-90
8.5:1...........8.5:1
16 Valve......16Valve
205HP.........175HP
$1599.........$899
( According to J-Spec Auto)

Most importantly the aftermarket parts are just as abundant but the CA's generaly repair parts do not need to be impoted all the way from Japan. Just search for an 88 Pulsar NX and most parts are the same. Also the SR is really populair and the CA is not. SCC has a comparison but the thing they said about CA head gaskets going in totally false.

Hopefully that helps
Old 08-20-2003, 07:37 PM

you forgot the most important arguments between the 2.

ca has 1 cam lobe per valve, uses a belt for timing, cast iron block no resleeving needed,

sr has rocker arms, which is one lobe per 2 valves. they tend to pop off at hi revs and cause the motor to tap a valve. uses a chain for timing,has a alum block which needs sleeving "usually" about 400hp.

ca is easy to work on. little less hp but turn up some boost and it's fine. less torquey tho.

sr is a pain in the *** to do alot of things ,like head gasket or timing chain swapping.

the ca is basicly a rb with the block chopped down to 4 cyl.
same people designed it aswell.

sr was made by different eng. was basicly made to save money and to bring something new to the nissan community. and more torque.

but if you want other opinions use google there is a ton of info on the argument mentioned above. i guess this is the first one on this forum.

try nico,240sxforums,freshalloy and others. i think there is even a web page on this subject....so there i know what i'm talking about so go search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:30 PM

thanks for the replys they helped and i did read many posts on the subject on nico still got alot more to read...

isnt a timing chain better then a belt ?
Old 08-20-2003, 09:20 PM

thanks for the help SHIFT_Lock

I can not find a swap guide on the net tho. I had mine done buy a shop ( but i do all my maintenence) and i was wonderin if you know a site that has a guide to help ppl to swap a CA?

Ur da MAN
Old 08-20-2003, 10:53 PM

not a guide that i know of...there is just now a dvd for the sr swap. one is not really needed. the ca and sr are a very easy straight forward swaps. if you got a clip then you have a guide, except for the wiring.

the swaps are easy but time consuming. not like a honda swap.
i am about to move and start school, but after i get settled in i am planning on making a site dedicated to the nissan swaps, ca sr and rb's. i've done them all so i have the info needed.

and probably start doing wiring service...seems alot of places that do it are on a back log of atleast a month or 2.

if anyone needs help or info if i can help shoot me a email.

rubberhammer@hotmail.com
Old 08-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Me and my friend have done the wiring on my RB..And it isnt all that difficult. Time consuming and all..but its fun ahha.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:42 PM

I know how to fit it in ans everything but i just don't know how to wire it. i know i can probbly send my harness off to JWT or someother company but i still don't know where to plug all the **** into.

I HATE WIRES
Old 08-22-2003, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member

it really isnt all that complicated dude, its just plug the plug into the right place or the right plug.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:07 AM

REALLY????

i thought u had to splice wire and everything and find out wht wire is what cuz in japan their wire colors r different
Old 08-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Well me and my friend took out the wire harness from the KA and most if not all the wires are on the old KA harness so we took it off of there and put it on the RB harness. Then again we havent finished the swap yet so we dont even know if it works Dont get me wrong, u do have to splice sum wires together and all, but it isnt all that complicated if u have a idea wut ur doing.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:46 PM

well lets see. there is 6 wires that need to be spliced under the dash and then there is the chassis interface which i think is 8 wires that need to be spliced then extend the maf and o2 sensor wires and that should be it. oh and i think the fuel pump relay. let me look and see if i can find that ca info.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by SHIFT_Lock
not a guide that i know of...there is just now a dvd for the sr swap. one is not really needed. the ca and sr are a very easy straight forward swaps. if you got a clip then you have a guide, except for the wiring.

rubberhammer@hotmail.com
i have heard of this dvd. does anyone know where i can find it? i will be willing to pay. Please!

Quick Reply: ca18det vs sr20det