Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Project 240sx one color

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Project 240sx one color

well today was nice.... so i decided to start.. only thing is, i didn't start until 6pm so i was rushing to see if i could get done before lights out..... but meh i didn't.

I just took my time and covered all the things i didn't want to paint.

prep takes a while.. just to cover it and sand it took about 2-3 hours alone.

as you can see by the pictures, i didn't get to the spray part until sun down... I finish with the first coat of primer at about 11pm.

tomorrow, im going to grab some more cans and touch up some spots along with additional sanding.

Note: the obvious color difference you see is due to me spraying there before taking the pictures

Old 05-23-2008, 09:21 PM

im liking those rims. are you keping it primer or are you going to do a little color action?
(*cough cough satin black)
Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

it will have color 2mar

Last edited by Biggamehit; 05-23-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet man. I like it so far and that blue will be nice. I'll be spraying mine hopefully soon too (although not rattlecan). You can make rattlecan jobs look really good though and it looks like you're being pretty meticulous. wetsand, buff, you know the drill
Old 05-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Contributing Member

hahh yea.. however bro.. i love your stock color..... its like that was one of the colors that the factory got right lol
Old 05-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

is it raining there today? let's hope not
Old 05-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

good luck painting it outside, i hope a bird dosent poop on it during the night haha
Old 05-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

ya rustoleum is the way to go. wetsand and a buff with some rubbing compound. it can look just like a stage 1.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Make sure you use one of those spray can handles, your results will be MUCH nicer.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

^^ well that spary can handle was nice and THEN... the one i got... started to flood and drip so i got ride of that right after the bumper.. lets just say... my finger hurts bad right now lol.

1st coat done.

as you would expect , i had big inconsistencies with the distance at which i was spraying..this was my first attempt at painting a car.. learned a bit... but it's not totally bad... my prep work paid off. I only had a slight bit of over spray due to my papers shifting over night via the wind.

some time next week ill go back to the booth for the second coat

Note.. the pictures with the sun down is after i washed the car ( all the over spray dust )

driving to the booth

After wash

I know the hood is by far the worst... i think im going to lay it flat next time.... i stood it againt the wall and sprayed it. ( Any ideas??)

ready to drift 2mar
Old 05-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

you should have used more paint, over spray can just be buffed out but the light spots are not so easy to fix. seeing as the entire car has light spots i'd recommenced sanding it with some 320grit or 400grit but no finer and repainting.

prepping and ambient temps are just as important imo, i've had the bets results in 65-80 degree weather. when using rattle can paint you want to spray using one slow continuous pass and not many small quarts. also holding the can farther rather than closer will give you better results.

a trick i learned a while back is to set the spray cans in hot water like in the sink or bucket until you're ready to use them. this will give you a smoother finish and at time eliminate the need to buff. if you use a clear coat be sure to use an enamel and not lacquer based paint.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

ahh cool.. yea i did use long passes... i know that much.. however issue with the damn both was... the lights didn't work... so i was using the lil sunlight to help paint lol

yea ... always a learning experience... this car will only be driven for another month.... im done putting money into it for now
Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit

I know the hood is by far the worst... i think im going to lay it flat next time.... i stood it againt the wall and sprayed it. ( Any ideas??)
i work at a body shop. anytime i spray primer or paint on a hood i always lay it down flat. if your going to try to lay down more color, wetsand with 400-600 grit. i usually use 500 because its right inbetween the two. 320 is too rough and will leave too many deap scratches. the first coat of paint doent need to be as heavy as the second two. maybe hold the can away from the car a bit further to reduce the inconsistant lines your getting
Old 05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

yea will do... i kept going from about 6in to about 12 or so....
Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 PM

Not too bad with the painting...props

Quick Reply: Project 240sx one color