Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Maaco Auto Painting

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 01:51 AM

alright, sounds like a good plan. I guess if more than 2 or 3 people say Maaco sucks ***, then it probably does. Is that why they are so "Cheap"????

Anyway, I'ma give it a shot. I'm gonna buy a old piece of **** fender and try it out first before i go any furthur. If it looks nice on a piece of **** fender, then i'll go ahead and do it myself.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys
Old 07-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

I know someone who went with the full maaco service, cost around a grand. Three years latter and the paint is still holdin strong.

The secret is you get what you pay for in most cases, plus the quality will vary from one maaco to another.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:27 AM

If you are going to paint it yourself, make sure you have a super clean area you can paint. You don't want the pressure from the air compressor blowing all kinds of **** in your paint and don't forget about bugs, they love the fumes. Also, don't paint in the wide open if you live anywhere close to someone else where you could possibly get overspray on their house, cars, etc. Your paint job could cost a lot more than expected if you get overspray on someone else's stuff.

If you do your own body work, although time consuming and very tideous and have someone else paint it, it shouldn't cost more than $300-500. Not to mention, a professional would be spraying it in a booth and you wouldn't have to be concerned with the above mentioned items.

I've tried going your route and it didn't work, along with everybody else I know that tried painting their vehicles their self. It usually comes out looking good, but if you get close-up on it, you can see specs of sand, bug marks, and orange peel. If you don't have the money, try it yourself, but if you're as **** as I am you won't be happy.

Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2006, 02:50 PM

maaco sucks
Old 07-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by drewman752
maaco sucks
Wow, what a worthless post. If you have no experiance with maaco, and have nothing to add, don't bother posting 2 word responces.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

yup
Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

lol 1 word posts ftw.

But anyways, as far as I see it, and in my experiences as well... Its only as hard as you make it. If you take the time to do things right, not rush it, and read up and get as much info as you can, it shouldnt be that bad. Also, good thinking getting a POS fender... thats what im doing. Except its the fender off of my car. My mom raped it with the truck.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 AM

Please do not double post, if your the last poster in a thread and have something to add, please go back and edit your post instead of making a new one.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:46 PM

I have no experience with Maaco, My mom says Go to them and get a cheap paint job lmao, She doesn't like my flat black I personally Love it, This was my first paint job, I used the proper tools, Was preped properlly, and i gave'r hell. Only two little runs, One was on the rear bumper, (fixed it) and another is on the front bumper, didn't bother with it though, cause im skirting it.

Name:  Nice.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  47.3 KB

Turned out great, I love my flat black lol, I say do it yourself man.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

flat and satin black s13s are so sex. Im doing mine satin.. for that "cant see it at night", while reflecting SOME light during the day. Sexy paint job you did
Old 08-28-2006, 10:43 PM

but hoe long does it take to get a car in that shape
Old 08-28-2006, 11:55 PM

i know you already got your answers but here's my .02'you always get what you pay for,sometimes you get luky i had maaco ruin a paint job for me and then try to fix it 3 times,my best addvice to you is if you don't whant to do it your self check out the local paint shops look at the cars their working on that should give you an idea of the kind of work they do and they usualy charge less becauce their just geting started a good painter is very important they don't come a dime a dozen hell i messed up the paint on my model cars from walmart i'm sure that real car paint is way more expencive well good luck
Old 08-29-2006, 04:08 AM

he said macco, LOL
Old 09-02-2006, 01:01 AM

first of all maaco the reason they do it so cheap is one inless your willing to spend a grand only paints your car with single stage paint, witch they get a hella deal on because they buy 55 gal drums of the stuff.

second if you paint the car your self and you go with a metalic paint be sure to keep the strokes consistint with the others other whise the paint will stripe and you dont want that to hapen also DO NOT SAND METALIC BEFORE CLEARCOATING it will take the metalic out of the paint. if you want it super deep looking spray the car making sure to tack it off in between coats. spray 3 coats of clear let dry wetsand with 1600 respray clear. 3 more coats, wetsand agian respray 3 coats clear wetsand and buff the clear. trust me thats the way i doit on all the old schools i paint for ppl and it allmost looks like candy but you will need about 2 gal. of clear for the best deal on clear go to oriellys and ask for transtar classic clear its right around 175 for a gallon but it mixes to 2 gal.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:53 PM

My friend got his car painted at maaco and they blamed the horrid orange peal on our prepping. They do bad paint jobs, they just dont give a ****, and they make excuses.

Quick Reply: Maaco Auto Painting