Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:08 PM

alright guys, i forgot to mention the steering issue i have. It didn't cross my mind cause i thought i would just look at it and find out what was wrong with it this morning then order the parts today, but im not sure what the issue is.
So to start, driving the car is difficult, when you turn the wheel, it doesn't center itself or even make an effort to. It just stays the direction you turned it, you have to force it back to center.
So this morning i disconnected the tie rods, thinking one of them might be stuck, but they both move freely and the wheel assembly moves freely as well (disconnected). When i connect them again, it turns hard, even in the air on the lift (car running or off, so i dont think its the p/s pump). I also disconnected the u-joint at the steering column/steering rack point, and that moves freely as well (the joint it self moves freely when off the car).
So I am thinking that it is the steering rack, what do you guys think? Has anyone out there had a similar issue like this before? I just don't want to buy a steering rack to find out its the p/s pump or vice versa.
Oh, and heres some pics of the underside!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...-1.jpg
Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...-2.jpg
Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...-3.jpg
Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...-4.jpg
Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...-5.jpg
Old 10-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

I dont know, but I'm pretty sure that that 2nd picture is what they call "not good"
Old 10-29-2007, 04:18 PM

yea, if i can't find one of those, im just gonna have my dads friend (who's an awesome fabricator) just fix it. But i'm gonna search a lot for one before i do that. But for the condition of the body I still think its a great start for my project!
Old 10-29-2007, 04:35 PM

I like the wheels. Very nice looking car.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by MunsonAuto
yea, if i can't find one of those, im just gonna have my dads friend (who's an awesome fabricator) just fix it. But i'm gonna search a lot for one before i do that. But for the condition of the body I still think its a great start for my project!
-no thats a REALLY good excuse to buy the nismo power-brace.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM

thanks clubred, i was wondering what its called and if there were any aftermarket upgrade ones out there. Looks like i'll be ordering one of those in the near future.
Any ideas as to the steering issue anyone???
Old 10-29-2007, 09:42 PM

Ok what you have there is just the front bracing for the car. The reason your steering is messed up is because ifyou notice one of the main suspension pieces for turning the Tie Rod connects to it.

That is a very vital piece of your car. Also the Nismo power brace is the biggest waste of money ever. If you want a nimo power brace just buy some 3/4 or 1 inch round bar that will span between the two front supports and have them welded on and Ta Da Nismo Power brace for 1/100 of the cost.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by ryguy
I dont know, but I'm pretty sure that that 2nd picture is what they call "not good"
yup thats no bueno!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:36 PM

small update.
I'm going to New York on Saturday to pick up some parts for my car! Mostly things to get it running and basically completely driveable the way I want it, well a step in the direction of the way i want it. lol
Anyways, here's what I'm getting: new carpet (cause mine has some tears and stains, as well as an unpleasent tabacco smell), new drivers door panel with window switches, sunroof parts, new s13 seats (just until i can afford the race seats i want), new hood with hinges, body kit, 17" wheels, steering rack and pinion, struts with eibach 2" lowering springs (really want coilovers, but these will do for now, especially with the deal i got on them), new steering column with racing wheel (my key jammed the other day and doesn't wan't to come out now) and I believe thats it. I might be forgetting something small, but oh well.
I'll have pics of it all loaded in the truck, and of course, pics of the progress of it all being installed in my car!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

The key getting stuck is probably one of two things. It's either you have to turn the steering wheel a little bit (so that it's not resting on the steering lock) or you forgot to push the key release button, or it's broken. Pull off the little trim piece around the ignition and you can release it with something pointy.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

or maybe you stole the car....
Old 11-02-2007, 10:53 AM

first off, if i had stolen the car, why and how would i even have the key? but oh well.
And I'm 99% sure its a second hand key (meaning its been recut at a hardware store or something) and it wasn't made exactly right and its worn out the tumblers inside and is now stuck. I've tried moving the shifter around, pushing the button and trying to get it out the whole time, it just doesn't want to come out.
So i just figured it'd be easier to get the whole steering column and wheel and hub, than get a new ignition and key and all that stuff.
Thanks guys
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

maybe you stole the key too
Old 11-02-2007, 03:01 PM

lol^^^
Old 11-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

I'm telling you, that isnt your problem. If the tumbers were worn down the you would be able to take the key out of the ignition while the car was running (i can do that with my car.) You are doing something wrong taking the key out or your release is broken. If you have an automatic, look under the dash. There is a green box bolted to the bottom of it. Make sure it is plugged in.

Quick Reply: Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...