Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

black paint maintence

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 05:59 PM

black paint maintence

iam painting my car glossy glossy black in about a week, wahts the proper way to maintain it. what is a good soap to use when washing, do i have to dry the car, and how can i keep it from getting ruined by rain etc etc.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:44 PM

Well, let me ask you this? Are you one of the people who keeps paint maintance on your car at a good level? Or do you just never wash your car and do it on occasion. If your gonna paint your car black, then expect to wash your car every weekend unless you garage your car. Black cars also show EVERY little defect in the paint, scratches, swirl marks, everything! Keeping the car like glossy black is very hard, I would safely say black and white cars need the most attention.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

i have a black car.. .and your right... the littlist spec of dirt and stuff show... they require alot of maintanance.... which i dont care about much cause i live in ny, where the pigeons run loose...i try to wash my car once every 2 weeks... sometimes the rain takes care of business
Old 10-14-2002, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by malicex000
i have a black car.. .and your right... the littlist spec of dirt and stuff show... they require alot of maintanance.... which i dont care about much cause i live in ny, where the pigeons run loose...i try to wash my car once every 2 weeks... sometimes the rain takes care of business
I own currently own two black cars and owned a third at one time (2001 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition).

They are a pain to keep clean but can be fun if you enjoy washing your cars with your friends. It is a local thing I do with the guys. They are running competitions for coats of wax. I am waaay behind.

I found this site on a quick search and it might help you out.

I use Mothers products myself. I like the mag/aluminum polish. It can save most anything. The California Gold line from Mothers is great. The soap rinses really well and leaves no spots.

They also sell a Carnauba wax that is off the hook. It is a cinch to apply but a ***** to take off. I apply extremely thick coats. Up to an eighth of an inch thick. Hand removal will tire you out. A rotary waxer will be better. I have an Eleven-inch Craftsman waiting for me to get a garage to get busy.

I would do the Carnauba once a month and liquid waxes weekly. That will help with swirl marks from the heavy wax and give you some protection from the elements.

I don't know if you have ever heard the saying but your paint is going to be soft. It will be new and will need extra protection. You do not want it to eggshell or spider web. Apply generous amounts of wax.

When rinsing do not use high-pressure water. Running water of great volume works better.

Garaging the car will help like wonders. I garaged the Civic for the first 4 months I owned it. It was near perfect. Once I moved and lost my garage the paint went to hell. I have the task of bringing it back to showroom when I get the house. I will be ordering Clay Bars buy the case.

You can pick up a book on Detailing from Haynes. I got it. It is pretty damn good.

Post any other questions if you have any. Sorry for the long post but I like to wash my cars. I can do another saga on the interior.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:38 PM

It is a local thing I do with the guys. They are running competitions for coats of wax. I am waaay behind.
You do know you can get wax build ups from applying too much wax and your really only suppose to wax your car like 5-10 times a year and wash in-between.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SilvaPwr
You do know you can get wax build ups from applying too much wax and your really only suppose to wax your car like 5-10 times a year and wash in-between.
Wax buildup saved my co-worker's SST. Hey had the full sized Dodge, black with silver stripes. He rides quads and catches hell for having all the nice mods. Some jerks stole his ride and spraypainted "250R" in red paint on his tailgate. It was buffed out by a body shop and there was no damage to the paint. Wax saved the day.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by StanBo
Wax buildup saved my co-worker's SST. Hey had the full sized Dodge, black with silver stripes. He rides quads and catches hell for having all the nice mods. Some jerks stole his ride and spraypainted "250R" in red paint on his tailgate. It was buffed out by a body shop and there was no damage to the paint. Wax saved the day.
when u get your car detailed do they wax it ?
Old 10-15-2002, 07:37 AM

Well wax build up really didnt save the day for him, just wax. Paint will only stick to your paint if you have a rough paint surface/clear coat. In which his case he did not so it buffed right off. But you shouldnt need more than 12 coats of wax on your car in a year (once a month).
Old 10-15-2002, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Too much wax is not a good thing. I remember reading a article, wish I could find it and they said to use wax stripper every so often to remove the old wax before applying new wax.

When I find it, I'll let you know.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Import Fanatix
Too much wax is not a good thing. I remember reading a article, wish I could find it and they said to use wax stripper every so often to remove the old wax before applying new wax.

When I find it, I'll let you know.
Very good idea...
Old 10-15-2002, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

i need to get my car waxed again... if u get it in the winter is that good for the car ?
Old 10-15-2002, 02:20 PM

well wax is harder to apply in the winter, unless you have a heated garage, it takes longer for the wax to dry in the winter (unless you live in tropical weather) because it is not warm. but it doesnt do any harm.

Last edited by SilvaPwr; 10-15-2002 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

I mentioned clay bars in the writeup. They remove wax as well as inbedded dirt. There is a step by step system which includes most of Mother's products.

I will be waxing them all year round when the house comes thru.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:21 PM

I mentioned clay bars in the writeup. They remove wax as well as inbedded dirt. There is a step by step system which includes most of Mother's products.

I will be waxing them all year round when the house comes thru.
your gonna need a heater in the winter, especially in the cold *** winters you guys get....
Old 10-15-2002, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Garage is going to be heated. I am not going to freeze my ***** off out there in the winter.

Quick Reply: black paint maintence