Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

INJEN air intake...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Contributing Member

well, unfortunately for you, I, and the rest of the state, we have to deal with (or find a way around) CARB.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by l2aine
well, unfortunately for you, I, and the rest of the state, we have to deal with (or find a way around) CARB.
Yeah, but what the state doesn't know till the day of my smog test won't hurt anybody now will it. Thats why I ride my car like a sleeper so I don't get snitched out. It looks OEM.....but is it REALLY.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by DaPCWiz
yeah, I've heard too many horror stories about water locking so I'm not gonna get any extention. I got my injen short ram cheap off some kid that crashed his 240 and I'm pretty happy with it.

water locking basically happens when you drive thru a puddle or something... and the intake being all the way down in ur fender sucks in water. the water goes into the engine. Unlike air, water doesn't compress, and it brings ur engine to a halt. If enuf water gets in there you engine won't start up again without major repairs....
The correct engineering term is Vapor Lock, not Water Lock. Not to sound like an A$$hole just thought I should make the correction. Vapor lock happens all the time to L series engines due to having the carburation on the same side as the exhaust. When in wet moist conditions the header would pre heat the moist air, causing the vapor to lock up in the carburation, not allowing a fuel to air mix.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:30 PM

^^^no, he's not talking about that. it's acually called HYDRO lock. when a lot of water gets inside the cylinder, piston comes up on compression stroke, water doens't compress, basically hits a wall and the weakest part breaks. usually the conrod. but i saw the motor from an escalade that hydro locked and he shattered his piston as well as bent, broke some rods.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by cougar10ag
^^^no, he's not talking about that. it's acually called HYDRO lock. when a lot of water gets inside the cylinder, piston comes up on compression stroke, water doens't compress, basically hits a wall and the weakest part breaks. usually the conrod. but i saw the motor from an escalade that hydro locked and he shattered his piston as well as bent, broke some rods.
Well atleast I can admit when I am an idiot here are some defenitions so hopefully it isn't argued ever again. I pulled these defenition's from google.

HydroStatic Lock : Hydrostatic lock, hydraulic lock or hydrolock occurs when liquids, typically water, enter an engine cylinder. This can occur from a coolant, oil or fuel leak, but the chief cause is drawing water into the engine through the air induction system (airbox & filter, ducting, throttle body or carburetor, intake manifold). Internal combustion engines (spark or compression ignition) operating on a two-stroke or four-stroke cycle must employ a compression stroke to compress the charge (usually an air/fuel mixture). Liquids are incompressible; the presence of a liquid in the engine cylinder during the compression stroke generates destructively high cylinder pressures.

VAPOR LOCK : When gasoline overheats and boils inside the carburetor bowl or fuel pump of a hot engine, it ceases to flow. This can cause stalling or hard starting. This is called vapor lock, and it usually happens during hot weather. If a hot engine won't start, all you can do is let it sit and cool off. You should check the cooling system to see if anything is causing the engine to run unusually hot (a bad thermostat or cooling fan, for example). Switching brands of gasoline may also help.
Attached Thumbnails INJEN air intake...-hydrobroke.jpg  
Old 01-24-2005, 08:50 PM

thats nothing. i wish i had a pic of the motor from the escalade
Old 01-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

so the coolent dosent go in the trotle body
????

J/K i have an ebay intake i got for 25 bucks then took out the lower air box and ran dryer duckting from the small grill to just about 5" from the intake
i do alot of highway driving and after i drive for about 30 mins i poped the hood and felt the intake piping and its all cold so yeah that worked for me and was cheap as hell ..
Old 01-27-2005, 07:47 PM

cold air intakes are meant for drag strips, where the car sits still for long periods of time and the engine bay gets hot. once you get moving the air under the hood is almost the same as the outside air. so driving on the highway where the rpms are low and theres no heavy driving will not prove that a cold air helps. drive hard around town for 30 minutes then see how the intake is.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by cougar10ag
cold air intakes are meant for drag strips, where the car sits still for long periods of time and the engine bay gets hot. once you get moving the air under the hood is almost the same as the outside air. so driving on the highway where the rpms are low and theres no heavy driving will not prove that a cold air helps. drive hard around town for 30 minutes then see how the intake is.
... I'm gonna wait for someone else to coment first on this one.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:09 PM

I guess I should straighten this out before Raine gets pissed. The air under the hood will never be colder than the air out side. Main factors are:radiotaor,engine, and defenitely the header. All fighting for cooler air and are always hot. Temprature within the engine bay actual gets hotter the higher you rev.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie
I guess I should straighten this out before Raine gets pissed. The air under the hood will never be colder than the air out side. Main factors are:radiotaor,engine, and defenitely the header. All fighting for cooler air and are always hot. Temprature within the engine bay actual gets hotter the higher you rev.
LOL you make me sound like some moster or something LOL

^ c'mon now, think about it - a large heat source (the engine) covered basically on 5 sides... compared to ambient air.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:34 AM

but you are a monster... everyones scared of you =0P
Old 01-28-2005, 06:39 AM

Hey Raine.... not to say anything negative about your photoshop skills, but it's really bugging me so I'm gonna go OT and go ahead and say it.

The "world" in your sig is red, but... if you see the "world" thru the windows of your car it magically turns into the right color. Did you miss a spot?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by QR25DE
but you are a monster... everyones scared of you =0P
You've seen me in person. Do I look like Godzilla or something? LOL

Originally posted by DaPCWiz
Hey Raine.... not to say anything negative about your photoshop skills, but it's really bugging me so I'm gonna go OT and go ahead and say it.

The "world" in your sig is red, but... if you see the "world" thru the windows of your car it magically turns into the right color. Did you miss a spot?
I did miss a spot... my girlfriend noticed it the other day and I thought I uploaded the "fixed" version but I guess not [checking now]

EDIT: uploaded the newer version. Now it looks like I have no glass LOL

Last edited by l2aine; 01-28-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:39 AM

i didn't say it would be cooler. but after driving for a while it's almost the same.. people have done tests with temp probes. granted it's not the most accurate but it shows it's not boiling hot as you would think after your moving along.

Quick Reply: INJEN air intake...