Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

Cold Air in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 11:52 AM

CAI

I guess so... it's just like I had a CAI on my B16 and it didn't wrap around either and it gave it so much more power. I even got so much cold air when i would vent the heater, then drive down the moutains from snowboarding my motor would actually go cold...crazy Oh not all CAI are made of heat conducting metal right?

Any other basic mods to get HP quickly on the KA?
Attached Thumbnails Cold Air in the rain-nightlights.jpg  
Old 05-24-2004, 01:05 AM

word of thought

i work with this all day (install intake)[short ram][cold air] and so on and so on....the best way i'd say is MAKE A FREEKING FILTER SHIELD ... if u can cover the filter then u wouldnt have to worry about water! i see these things daily..and im the mechanic that has too work with the bs all the time ....the by pass valve can only protect the intake from soo much water u know! ...basically a scam..lol....yeah if u got a the smarts and the time i would suggest making a nice lil box too cover the filter from hazards like water!! ...water is NOT your friend it WILL dammage the engine severly....well i just wanted too share what i know..and good luck
Old 05-24-2004, 01:22 AM

ps

when comes too intake in NA application u only get soo much hp from the intake ..i Recamend short ram over cold air...nothing protects the filter when its cold air intake(dailydrivin) unless u have a sr20 turbo then intake CAN make a big difference in hp
soo what im trying too say is if u drive with NA application simple design is best
cold air is ight i guess butt remeber where the intake is located. (like near the tire) ..tires kicks up mad dust there fore u end up cleaning your filter like every mounth. ive seen all kinds of intakes and i think short ram is safest way too go..no need too worry about the water.
but if u do run cold air keep in mind filter is important too performance. keeping it clean is GOOD for the car!
soo for cold air intakes try too keep it DRY !!!!!!
water will cost u an engine ..no joke so make or jimmy rig a box over the intake and make sure filter can breath cause theres no point in having an intake especially if it cant BREATH right!
GOOD LUCK
Old 05-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

go CAI. just keep note of the weather outside. Any open-element air filter will need periodic cleaning no matter what, and unless you remove the splash shield from the fender well, you won't get it super dirty super quick.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:32 AM

instead of a CAI you can try an iceman box?? i heard they work pretty good in the rain.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:45 PM

Cool new info for COLD AIR AND SHORT RAM

yep new info for ALL U COLD INTAKE LOVERS~!~!
yea soem guy gave me info on how too keep your intake DRY!
yep all u have too do i go 2 a dirt bike parts dealer like sazuki (probably miss spelled) or some dirt bike store and ask for a filter cover for off road! its like a special screen type baggy completely rater proof and breaths like a new filter..just put this over the filter and thats it ..supposedly its for mud proofing but works even better on cars any way i saw this guys cold air intake filter and completely looks brand new ! said he had it for like a good 2 mounths and he smile lol im like cool but if u guys want ill try too buy a bunch load and i can sell it too people on line even u guys .just hit me up or something..well good luck again
Old 05-31-2004, 12:46 PM

Lightbulb ps

u DONT need a box if u have this special filter element! i tested it with a paper cup of water ! WOW lol
Old 06-01-2004, 04:32 PM

DO you have any pics of this cover??
Old 06-01-2004, 10:49 PM

pictures of this special filter cover please!!! =0)
Old 06-02-2004, 06:07 PM

Cool hmm

ight ight lets see as soon as i get a digi cam or borrow one ill try and buy a couple of these ok..
looks like a bag for marbles but the holes are ultra tiny !and the fabric is some sort of water proof element i guess but yea let me figure how too use this dam thing like i dun know how to post a pic on here yet and what the hell does 64 by 64 pixles mean ?
Old 06-03-2004, 03:51 PM

I think you don't really need a cold air intake becasue it won't give ur much horsepower! Some of them say that their intake system can gain 8-10 HP, for me it is unbelieveable! U can get a short ram,it works just fun. U will not feel too much different between cold air and short ram! If u want to install ur cold air, u better to change back to short ram during the rainy season!
Old 06-04-2004, 10:08 AM

I think you don't really need a cold air intake becasue it won't give ur much horsepower! Some of them say that their intake system can gain 8-10 HP, for me it is unbelieveable! U can get a short ram,it works just fun. U will not feel too much different between cold air and short ram! If u want to install ur cold air, u better to change back to short ram during the rainy season!

-- not a bad idea just swap your intake during the seasons not a bad idea hmm just buy too different pipeings and your fine ...good IDEA!
Old 06-04-2004, 11:09 AM

Hehe..... by the way, when u buy an intake system, u need to make sure it has a EO CARB # on the parts becasue if it doesn't have EO on it, more likely u will not pass the smoke! Also, the one that has EO is way more expensive than the one don't!
Old 06-05-2004, 12:10 AM

that too or just make an extension from your ram into a cold air ?
just a thought
Old 06-05-2004, 11:24 PM

You always can buy a extension for short ram to a cols air! But short ram is always convience becasue easier to install and to clean!On some car, u have to take off the fender wall to install a cold air!

Quick Reply: Cold Air in the rain