S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Nissan 240SX FAQ's

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:02 AM

Nissan 240SX FAQ's

1. Can I legalize an SR20DET swap?
NO ENGINE SWAP FROM JAPAN IS DEEMED LEGAL IN THE US! That's right, no SR20DET, CA18DET, RB20DET, RB25DET, or RB26DETT swap is legal in a 240SX. These engines were not produced here and are only legal in Skylines (the RB series) that are imported and legalized here in the states. If the engine wasnt in that car, then it cant be swapped in(IE, 13B, 2JZ and etxc.)

Now, as far as emissions are concerned: will these engines pass smog? Yes, most of them will. The RB engines I know do for sure...I've taken Skylines and had them pass the sniffer....now, all you CALIFORNIA folks - STOP ASKING US IF THESE SWAPS WILL PASS YOUR REGS! They won't...visual inspection fails...hell, everything in California fails, it's a GAY state when it comes to car laws. If you find a shady smog guy, he'll pass your car for $100, $200, $300....whatever he charges! Same in other states where you have to have smog registrations.

These swaps are done every day in every state and people get away with it every day. Please don't make another thread asking if this stuff is legal...it's all right here for you to read.

-NightXCZ77

2. What parts do I need for an S14 Zenki to Kouki conversion?
Search for a proper write-up, but basically, you need headlight assemblies, a new hood, new bumper, and fenders; if you really want, a grille.

3. What's the difference between a 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 LSD?
A 1.0 LSD is fully locked when accelerating, and disengages when decelerating. A 1.5 LSD is fully locked when accelerating, and is half locked when decelerating. a 2.0 LSD is fully locked when both accelerating and decelerating.

4. What do I need to do an auto to manual tranny swap?
A write-up can be found Here

5. What do I need for a 5 lug conversion?
A tutorial can be found Here

6. How are redtop and blacktop SR's different?

7. How do I check ECU codes?

8. How do I bypass the S14 factory amps?
In order to bypass the factory amps you have to cut and rewire the input signals to the amp to the corresponding output signals from the amp, creating a direct link from the headunit to the speakers.

10. Where can I buy _____?

11. what offset do I run for ______?

12. Do I need a 2way diff to drift?
No, you can technically "drift" in a car with an open differential, although that is arguable to a point. its basically what you determine drifting that answers this question.

13. Whats better KA-T or SR?

This is the only one I can answer, and I think it's more or less a personal opinion. I say ka-t, for a number of reasons but here are just a few.

A. ka = 2.4L ( can be over bored to 2.6L) sr = 2.0L not much of a difference but a simple rule is that displacement equals power.

B. If your current engine is in good condition there is no need to swap it out and rewire the whole thing just add a turbo and a few other goodies. A piggy back or stand alone fuel management system, bigger injectors and so forth. From what I've read the stock maf is good for about 250hp, unless your looking for more I'd leave the stock maf in place.

C. In the event of a catastrophe such as you blown engine, parts are easier to get a hold of for the ka.

14. How can I legalize JDM cars?

15. Whats the difference between Blow off valve and wastegate?
A blow off valve is located after the compression side of a turbocharger, and opens up when the throttle is let off, when the engine has no demand for the compressed air, and the turbo is still providing a high boost. The blow off valve (or BOV) releases the pressure, which in turn prevents the turbo from getting "backed up" for lack of better words. A wastegate is a spring operated opening system that lets exhaust go freely without flowing through the turbine, used as a safeguard to control the amount of boost.

16. Is there any difference between a S13, S14 and S15 engine?
The S13 was the most basic the SR20DET ever was; it lacked VTC or anything spectacular for a turbo. The second generation in the S14 Silvia used Nissan's VTC variable valve timing and a ball bearing turbocharger. The final S15 Silvia version used an improved Inconel impeller wheel for its turbocharger. Each engine increased about 20hp each year.

17. Is there any difference between a S13 Tranny and an S14?

18. Are the heads of S13/4/5 red/black tops interchangeable?

19. What is the difference between the XE, SE and LE packages?
To begin with all models came with disc brakes all around. However not all models came with LSD's

XE- The most basic model. Only came on the 89-90 Coupe. This model did come with the HUD display.

SE- The sports edition. The Interior comes with power everything and occasionally a sunroof. The SE model in S14's came with 5 lug wheels, which saves you from having to convert from 4-Lug. S14 SE's were equipped with Anti-Lock brakes and a rear sway bar (which the base model of S14 lacked). 91+ The SE came with LSD and the HICAS four wheel steering system as an option. The only way to check for hicas is looking for the hicas sticker on the side or looking around for the hicas hardware (no toe arms on the back, rear steering rack, powersteering lines running to the back from the pump).

LE- The luxury edition. It's the premium model of the 240SX. The package came with leather seats and interior, power everything as well as a power sunroof.

20. How do I swap a SR20DET into my 240SX?
To begin with you should be extremely experianced before you even try this, or at least have a friend that could help you the entire time. However, a tutorial can be found at the nissanperformancemag.com a highly respected site.

Lets all work on answering these questions, then we can better help the new members of the forum... Like me!

Last edited by Unreal; 05-26-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:17 PM

Bump.

Is anyone going to help me with this?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

honestly bro.. everything that you have listed can be found by searching.. i hate to say it, but its true brother.... its all there.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
honestly bro.. everything that you have listed can be found by searching.. i hate to say it, but its true brother.... its all there.
It saves lots... and lots of time. Searching is slow
Old 05-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

I bet noobs will still ask. Haha
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by yarou
I bet noobs will still ask. Haha
Well then you can just post the link, problem solved
Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

1. Can I legalize an SR20DET swap?
NO ENGINE SWAP FROM JAPAN IS DEEMED LEGAL IN THE US! That's right, no SR20DET, CA18DET, RB20DET, RB25DET, or RB26DETT swap is legal in a 240SX. These engines were not produced here and are only legal in Skylines (the RB series) that are imported and legalized here in the states. If the engine wasnt in that car, then it cant be swapped in(IE, 13B, 2JZ and etxc.)

Now, as far as emissions are concerned: will these engines pass smog? Yes, most of them will. The RB engines I know do for sure...I've taken Skylines and had them pass the sniffer....now, all you CALIFORNIA folks - STOP ASKING US IF THESE SWAPS WILL PASS YOUR REGS! They won't...visual inspection fails...hell, everything in California fails, it's a GAY state when it comes to car laws. If you find a shady smog guy, he'll pass your car for $100, $200, $300....whatever he charges! Same in other states where you have to have smog registrations.

These swaps are done every day in every state and people get away with it every day. Please don't make another thread asking if this stuff is legal...it's all right here for you to read.

-NightXCZ77

2. What parts do I need for an S14 Zenki to Kouki conversion?
search for a proper write-up, but basically, you need headlight assemblies, a new hood, new bumper, and fenders. and if you really want, a grille.

3. What's the difference between a 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 LSD?
A 1.0 LSD is fully locked when accelerating, and disengages when decellerating. A 1.5 LSD is fully locked when accelerating, and is half locked when decellerating. a 2.0 LSD is fully locked when both accelerating and decellerating.

4. What do I need to do an auto to manual tranny swap?

5. What do I need for a 5 lug conversion?
A tutorial can be found Here

6. How are redtop and blacktop SR's different?

7. How do I check ECU codes?

8. How do I bypass the S14 factory amps?
you have to cut and rewire the input signals to the amp to the corresponding output signals from the amp, creating a direct link from the headunit to the speakers.

10. Where can I buy _____?

11. what offset do I run for ______?

12. Do I need a 2way diff to drift?
no, you can technically "drift" in a car with an open differential, although that is argueable to a point. its basically what you determine drifting that answers this question.

varies on personal opinion, and what you want to do. the SR has its limitations in its smaller displacement and its rocker arm design. the KA has limitations in its long stroke, its half counterweighted crank, and it has less aftermarket support, although support is growing.

14. How can I legalize JDM cars?

15. Whats the difference between Blow off valve and wastegate?
a blow off valve is located after the compression side of a turbocharger, and opens up when the trottle is let off, when the engine has no demand for the compressed air, and the turbo is still providing a high boost. the blow off valve (or BOV) releases the pressure, which in turn prevents the turbo from getting "backed up" for lack of better words. A wastegate is a spring operated opening system that lets exhaust go freely without flowing through the turbine, used as a safeguard to control the amount of boost.

16. Is there any difference between a S13, S14 and S15 engine?
The S13 was the most basic the SR20DET ever was; it lacked VTC or anything spectacular for a turbo. The second generation in the S14 Silvia used Nissan's VTC variable valve timing and a ball bearing turbocharger. The final S15 Silvia version used an improved Inconel impeller wheel for its turbocharger. Each engine increased about 20hp each year.

17. Is there any difference between a S13 Tranny and an S14?

18. Are the heads of S13/4/5 red/black tops interchangeable?

19. What is the difference between the XE, SE and LE packages?
To begin with all models came with disc brakes all around.
XE- The most basic model. Only came on the 89-90 Coupe. This model did come with the HUD display.

SE- The sports edition. The Interior comes with power everything and occasionally a sunroof. The SE model in S14's came with 5 lug wheels, which saves you from having to convert from 4-Lug. 91+ The SE came with LSD and the HICAS four wheel steering system. S14 SE's were equipped with Anti-Lock brakes and a rear sway bar (which the base model of S14 lacked).

LE- The luxury edition. It's the premium model of the 240SX. The package came with leather seats and interior, power everything as well as a power sunroof.

20. How do I swap a SR20DET into my 240SX?
To begin with you should be extremely experianced before you even try this, or at least have a friend that could help you the entire time. However, a tutorial can be found at the nissanperformancemag.com a highly respected site.

Lets all work on answering these questions, then we can better help the new members of the forum... Like me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

this is the only one i can answer, and i think it's more or less a personal opinion. i say ka-t, for a number of reasons but here are just a few.

1. ka = 2.4L ( can be over bored to 2.6L) sr = 2.0L not much of a difference but a simple rule is that displacement equals power.

2. if your current engine is in good condition there is no need to swap it out and rewire the whole thing just add a turbo and a few other goodies. a piggy back or stand alone fuel management system, bigger injectors and so forth. from what i've read the stock maf is good for about 250hp. unless your looking for more i'd leave the stock maf in place.

3. in the event of a catastrophe such as a blown engine, parts are easier to get a hold of for the ka.

like i said this is more or less an opinion.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 05-26-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

91+ SE did not come with lsd or hicas. only way to check for hicas is looking for the hicas sticker on the side or looking around for the hicas hardware (no toe arms on the back, rear steering rack, powersteering lines running to the back from the pump).

hicas was a factory option "handling package" which has lsd, thicker rear swaybar and the obvious hicas system.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:23 PM

Alright updated

Thanks guys, it's almost done
Old 05-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

here's the write up for #4
http://www.club240.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33633
Old 05-26-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
Awesome! Thanks!