S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

My first 240 (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 92nissan
Real clean lookin car. Makes me want to go home and clean mine.
The funny thing is I haven't actually washed the car since I bought it haha.. I have only cleaned the engine, polished the mufflers a little and wiped over the dash. The paint is horrible. I plan to learn how to paint on this car too.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by eroc263
The funny thing is I haven't actually washed the car since I bought it haha.. I have only cleaned the engine, polished the mufflers a little and wiped over the dash. The paint is horrible. I plan to learn how to paint on this car too.
Thats what I meant. lol. Clean up the engine bay. I'm afraid that if I wash mine, what's left of the paint will wash off. Plus mine needs new seals around the back window.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 AM

Not much progress made this weekend as far as repairs or mods. I'm still trying to locate some 12x1.25 threaded rod to make my engine mounts but I did get a few other pesky problems fixed. The previous owner screwed up the metal headlight housing the actual glass lens fits into so it was all out of adjustment. I removed it, cleaned it, polished the metal reataining ring that holds the lens in, and adjusted it so it doesn't shine into the trees now . I also added some washers to my sunroof latch to pull it tighter so it will seal better and kill the annoying wind noise . Hopefully the mounts will be made this week and maybe I can get some led bulbs ordered to replace the gauge lights. I also heard a noise coming from my A/C compressor today on the way home from church. It was making a rather loud tapping/rattling noise when engaged and was loud enough to hear over the radio. It scares me a little b/c I know most A/C problems are expensive to fix but hopefully it will either clear up or it will last until winter when I won't need it .
Old 09-23-2007, 10:46 AM

I called our supplier and they don't even make metric threaded rod. You might have to find a sae size and try it.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:33 PM

I called our supplier and they don't even make metric threaded rod. You might have to find a sae size and try it.
Well on the 240sxtech page the DIY on making your own motor mounts shows this thread pitch and the author of the write up said it could be had at ACE Hardware. I have checked Lowes, Home Depot, and even Fastenal and only Fastenal is able to get it. The problem is they said it would have to be ordered and it only comes in a 1 meter piece and cost $48.00 !!!! I have a local Ace near by but haven't been able to get there to check. I am going to call tomorrow and see what they have. If they don't have it I am going to find the finest pitch of 1/2" diameter SAE. 1/2" is basically the same as 13mm so the diameter is close enough but I just want a fine pitch for strength. Oh and my A/C noise I was having went away and hasn't came back yet. I just drove about 30 miles to stay with my GF until tomorrow and it worked like a charm so hopefully it's an intermittent problem .
Old 09-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Well on the 240sxtech page the DIY on making your own motor mounts shows this thread pitch and the author of the write up said it could be had at ACE Hardware. I have checked Lowes, Home Depot, and even Fastenal and only Fastenal is able to get it. The problem is they said it would have to be ordered and it only comes in a 1 meter piece and cost $48.00 !!!! I have a local Ace near by but haven't been able to get there to check. I am going to call tomorrow and see what they have. If they don't have it I am going to find the finest pitch of 1/2" diameter SAE. 1/2" is basically the same as 13mm so the diameter is close enough but I just want a fine pitch for strength. Oh and my A/C noise I was having went away and hasn't came back yet. I just drove about 30 miles to stay with my GF until tomorrow and it worked like a charm so hopefully it's an intermittent problem .
Yep. 3ft sticks is all we carry it in too. 1/2-20 is the finest we carry.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:01 PM

Yep. 3ft sticks is all we carry it in too. 1/2-20 is the finest we carry.
I don't mind the 3ft. part as long as it's not so expensive. I would think I should be able to get out for under $10
Old 09-23-2007, 03:10 PM

I don't mind the 3ft. part as long as it's not so expensive. I would think I should be able to get out for under $10
I doubt you'll find it for under 10 bucks. Call the greensboro oreillys and ask them them the price of a dorman 672-314.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
na its not vlsd bro....

visually there is a sticker on the side.. you have a usdm 240 none of them this year came with vlsd unless you go it from canada
Don't forget USDM HICAS 240's came with VLSD standard. Other than that SE's and and LE's could get that as a pricey option from the dealer. So yeah it is a rare find to have VLSD on a s13 240....
Cheap alternative for HLSD is the OBX helical for Open diff pumpkins.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
Don't forget USDM HICAS 240's came with VLSD standard. Other than that SE's and and LE's could get that as a pricey option from the dealer. So yeah it is a rare find to have VLSD on a s13 240....
Cheap alternative for HLSD is the OBX helical for Open diff pumpkins.
I doubt I would trust OBX LSD's. Not something I want to skimp on the price with. Maybe stuff that won't hurt me or my car if it fails such as exhaust, turbo manifolds or visual stuff but I don't want my LSD locking up or breaking apart and potentially ruining everything else in there. Anyone use an OBX?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:19 PM

I doubt you'll find it for under 10 bucks. Call the greensboro oreillys and ask them them the price of a dorman 672-314.
That's probably what I will use if I can't get the metric rod, but I need longer than 3" pieces. I need 4". Is the 20 pitch similar to a 1.75 b/c I can get that through my work for pretty cheap. I just didn't think that would be as fine of a thread as i'm looking for.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:11 PM

I doubt I would trust OBX LSD's. Not something I want to skimp on the price with. Maybe stuff that won't hurt me or my car if it fails such as exhaust, turbo manifolds or visual stuff but I don't want my LSD locking up or breaking apart and potentially ruining everything else in there. Anyone use an OBX?

Well I own one, and OBX won the 2006 SEMA product award, for best consumer products. I researched this particular product for months and spoke with people that own it as well, it's just as good as the hitachi manufactured HLSD that comes standard on the s15 that cost $1200. I payed $420 out the door for my helical, and it's a direct drop in for an open diff pumpkin and stock shafts.

PIC of my HLSD out the box
Name:  Helical.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  31.9 KB

Last edited by BigVinnie; 09-23-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm. I'm gonna buy one. If Vinnie says it's good then it's good.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ryguy
Hmmm. I'm gonna buy one. If Vinnie says it's good then it's good.
Don't believe everything I say... I just do a lot of research and review. I also deal with alot of people that go to SEMA from year to year. The OBX helical just happens to be one of those biggest bang for your buck products. OBX is just a generic patent company they take patents that have been in existence for years throw it on the Chinese assembly line because it's cheaper, and are able to sell it to the consumer at a fraction of the cost... There diff is reliable because they just take the patent from a reliable diff manufacturer and call it there own.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
Well I own one, and OBX won the 2006 SEMA product award, for best consumer products. I researched this particular product for months and spoke with people that own it as well, it's just as good as the hitachi manufactured HLSD that comes standard on the s15 that cost $1200. I payed $420 out the door for my helical, and it's a direct drop in for an open diff pumpkin and stock shafts.

PIC of my HLSD out the box
I'm a Honda freak. I've had about 15 Honda's and every one of them had an OBX LSD. I've never had one hiccup with them.

Quick Reply: My first 240 (pics inside)