S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

My first 240 (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter
You sound pretty solid on your modifications, the only thing I would reconsider is adding springs to the GR2s. True, they hold up quite well, FAR better than Tokico's equivalent. However, GR2s are pretty much OEM replacements and the difference between them and stock suspension is almost immeasurable unless it's on a shock-dyno.

My suggestion . . .and this is just a suggestion mind you, if you want to stick with KYB and have a car that's streetable, handles well and is still comfortable, get some AGX's, they aren't overly stiff and will not give you a harsh jittery ride like some of the other suspension companies will. AGX's are also valved to work with a lot of spring combinations from progressive rate to linear.

If you're willing to sacrifice your ride quality, a nice pair of Koni yellows will give you a very sporty feel and will eliminate most weight transfer and body roll. The only downside, once again, is that your car will become extremely jittery, especially with low profile sport tires and some taut springs. The Koni suspension loves track usage, there for is tailored to suit that. If you don't mind shattering your spine, go for it . . .keep in mind that there's also an issue with controlled drivability . . .people seem to forget that stiff suspension ISN'T sporty suspension, it's dangerous suspension, with Koni's the slightest inflection on the surface you're driving on is enough to disrupt your momentum and send you on a maiden voyage somewhere else. So be weary of that as well.

Everything else sounds pretty much solid, I'm not much of a mechanic, but as a professional driver, I can tell you about things from driver's-point-of-view.

Take care,
-Stig
Thanks for the input. I was hoping to be able to save but I guess I will be going with coilovers again. I do want a streetable ride (no harsher than a really high end sports car) but I am confident I can get a good set of used coils for the price of a good set of shocks such as the AGX's and a good set of springs and still retain decent ride quality. Like you said stiffer is not always better.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

How did you mount your own tires? I was going to but I was afraid I'd **** something up so I took it to the shop and got raped on the price. Is it that hard to do by yourself?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ryguy
How did you mount your own tires? I was going to but I was afraid I'd **** something up so I took it to the shop and got raped on the price. Is it that hard to do by yourself?

How'd you get raped? You don't know a guy who knows a guy? I mean, I'm new in the area and because I race cars, they mounted all 4 tires for like 10 bucks a pop.

-Stig
Old 09-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Well I did get them balanced too. I know a place that will do them for 10 bucks each (without balancing) but I figured what the hell, i'll go all out and take it to Goodyear, where they charged me 25 bucks each to mount + balance.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ryguy
I work at a local Honda dealer and have good resources like a tire changer and balancer. Took me under an hour to do all four and I really wasn't rushing at all. If you lived in NC I might have been able to do it for you but I would have had to check with the service manager of course.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Can anyone help me out with the diff question. I've been searching around but I can't really find a direct answer.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

im pretty sure with the z axels its a direct swap you can also buy a factory 180sx/silvia lsd diff.

you a tech at honda? i used to work for honda for while but my boss was an ******* so i told him to suck... um nvm ill let you figure out what i said lol but now i work at mazda.... mazda's are... are.. the biggest POS ever i miss honda but i get paid more so w/e lol

but ya mounting 285/35 r18 tire on my 350z tack wheels was a ***** but ya i still did it in less then 30min
Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by battosaii930
im pretty sure with the z axels its a direct swap you can also buy a factory 180sx/silvia lsd diff.

you a tech at honda? i used to work for honda for while but my boss was an ******* so i told him to suck... um nvm ill let you figure out what i said lol but now i work at mazda.... mazda's are... are.. the biggest POS ever i miss honda but i get paid more so w/e lol

but ya mounting 285/35 r18 tire on my 350z tack wheels was a ***** but ya i still did it in less then 30min
Yeah i'm actually happy with my job for now. Honda's cars aren't too bad yet. They keep adding more and more crap but who isn't these days. The only reason I ask about the 300Z swap is I am able to pick one up way cheaper than the 180/Silvia diff. Thanks for the input though.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

if its super cheap go for it man just remember VLSD wear out at around 60kmiles like my j30lsd is all worn and it wines it has 68kmiles on it i got a replacement for it anyway so im not worried
Old 09-18-2007, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by battosaii930
if its super cheap go for it man just remember VLSD wear out at around 60kmiles like my j30lsd is all worn and it wines it has 68kmiles on it i got a replacement for it anyway so im not worried
Really? That seems like kinda low mileage. You sure that isn't only if you work it out a lot by spinning the tires on a daily basis? Seems like it should last well over 100K if treated properly. Most Z owners I wouldn't think would be replacing diffs at 60-80K. I know several people with 100K+ on their Z and they're doing fine. Any more input? Just trying to see if any one has personal experience. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:14 AM

Nice ride man...i have also just started driving my first 240 after 8 months of rebuilding the entire car...it is everything i ever dreamed it would be
Old 09-18-2007, 02:57 PM

nice pickup man
Old 09-19-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
na its not vlsd bro....

visually there is a sticker on the side.. you have a usdm 240 none of them this year came with vlsd unless you go it from canada

i have that year, and a stock vlsd...but i drive one of 3 nismo edition 240's that i've ever heard of...if i can find it, i'll get pics of the window sticker up soon...and maybe the car, too...lol
Old 09-19-2007, 10:01 PM

Picked up my first 240 with 197,xxx miles on it, and it still runs like a champ. Car looks pretty decent though, good buy for 1100 also.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tweetersbro2002
i have that year, and a stock vlsd...but i drive one of 3 nismo edition 240's that i've ever heard of...if i can find it, i'll get pics of the window sticker up soon...and maybe the car, too...lol
I call BS.

Quick Reply: My first 240 (pics inside)