S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

just got a 90 240

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 12:40 PM

just got a 90 240

Well I just aquired this car as a daily driver while I continue to work on my other car. It is a fun car, (even though it is automatic) but I want more out of it. Not knowing much about the Nissan family, what are some of the better bang for the buck performance mods? What intakes do you guys recommend? I doubt I put an exhaust on it, just some unseen performance mods here. Any help is appriciated, I dont plan on spending much $ on this car because like I said, it is my daily driver now and most my money is going into the other car. Thanks is advance guys!

Adam
Old 10-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Re: just got a 90 240

Originally posted by Juicedgsr95
Well I just aquired this car as a daily driver while I continue to work on my other car. It is a fun car, (even though it is automatic) but I want more out of it. Not knowing much about the Nissan family, what are some of the better bang for the buck performance mods? What intakes do you guys recommend? I doubt I put an exhaust on it, just some unseen performance mods here. Any help is appriciated, I dont plan on spending much $ on this car because like I said, it is my daily driver now and most my money is going into the other car. Thanks is advance guys!

Adam
Welcome to the family. For daily driving I would suggest some H4 bulb converters. They change the solid lights to the H4 type.

Change the tires to 205 width or wider if you are running smaller.

I enjoy my Broadway mirror. The stock 240 mirror is way to small.

You might want to take a look at the TC busings. They are liquid filled and can be a headache if they leak. The car will make noise when turning and will pull to one side when braking.

I would stay away from intakes and performance mods if you are going to use it for a daily driver. You will get more bang for the buck with the mods I listed.

Nothing like being able to see at night. See behind you and not be blinded by HIDs or highbeams. Wider tires help you break, turn and take off easier plus 240s can be a handful in the rain. TC bushings are a pain in the ***** but are an easy fix to making the car ride a lot better.

Good luck.

I will list more power mods if you would like but I think these offer the most bang for buck. I find intakes to be cool for the first day or two. Then they wear off.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:16 PM

Thanks for your input. I am only looking for minor power gains, as I know on my Acura the intake made a big difference, esspecialy in throttle responce. Are you guys getting this difference on the Nissans?

I am not bug on broadway mirrors or really the looks of the car, I will be putting a larger wheel with lower profile tires to help with handleing. I know doing this will leave an UGLY wheel gap so who make a DECENT shock/spring setup at a good price?

Why would you say stay away from an intake on a daily driver? Is the performance gain inmeasurable? I figure if anyhting an intake should help with the torque to get better 60ft (pulling out in traffic) times. also better gas milage as well.

The only reason I ask for performance mods is the 135hp I need a little more than that!

Again thanks for your reply. also being new to this car, and reliable/best price websites you can point me to to purchase some of this stuff?
Old 10-19-2002, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Juicedgsr95
Thanks for your input. 1.I am only looking for minor power gains, as I know on my Acura the intake made a big difference, esspecialy in throttle responce. Are you guys getting this difference on the Nissans?

I am not bug on broadway mirrors or really the looks of the car, I will be putting a larger wheel with lower profile tires to help with handleing. 2.I know doing this will leave an UGLY wheel gap so who make a DECENT shock/spring setup at a good price?

3.Why would you say stay away from an intake on a daily driver? Is the performance gain inmeasurable? I figure if anyhting an intake should help with the torque to get better 60ft (pulling out in traffic) times. also better gas milage as well.

The only reason I ask for performance mods is the 135hp I need a little more than that!

Again thanks for your reply. also being new to this car, and reliable/best price websites you can point me to to purchase some of this stuff?
1. I don't have an intake on my car. I feel that there are more worthwhile mods that can be made. I like bang for buck. I have had filters and intakes on cars. There are more areas for improvement that warrent money.

2. There are discussions on spring/shocks going on right now in the suspension section.

3. I say so because you have a greater amount of torque than your honda (don't worry not a flame I own a honda).

3b. Again I have been there and they seem to up the "pep" for the first day but soon the pep is worked into what seems to be normal power and you loose the feeling. Yeah it will sound better but that is why there are stereos.

3c. I don't know about the traffic times. Again I am not big on the air intakes. I see that the cold air without water bypass is close to $300. Lets say the bypass is another $40 (just guessing). ST sways cost the same or go with adjustable Whitelines front and rear. I would go with them.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:36 PM

sell your gsr and buy the jdm sr20det that is supposed to be in a 240sx (comes with the 5speed tranny) these engines range from 205-245hp stock (stock at 5psi and super restrictive intake and exhaust ) . just think about , sr20det=$2-3,000, new bov, intercooler and boost controller=1,000, the look on an unsuspecting punk when you smoke him=priceless.but hey if already dumped alot into the gsr, 240's are great daily drivers, you can buy a pacesetter header for it for $150 and an injen intake for about 100, and do a electric fan conversion for next to nothin.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the help, but selling the GSR is definatly out of the question WAY too much money in it. Thanks for the info on the header and intake. Pacesetter considered one of the better brands for the 240? At heart I am definately a Honda man, but the more I drive this 240, the more I like it....on the other hand it would cost alot less to upgrade the 240. It will probably go in small stages, buit the header/ intake sounds like a reasonable first step. How about the stock exhaust? pretty restrictive? Also, stock basic bolt on's, what is the largest safest NO2 shot I should be able to run? I have been thing about buying new lines and cylinoids and swaping the tank between cars. Just for the surprise factor! ...Anyway thanks for your reply.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

All I hear is Pacesetter is garbage. You'd be better off buying Hotshot or Greddy.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:58 PM

well all i can say is ive had a pacesettr on mine for over 2years now and never had a problem, no rust or anything, and gave a pretty good power increase. i thought of paying 3-400dollars for at hotshot but i plan on eventually swapping motors and last time i checked greddy only makes headers for the ka24de, 89 -90's have a ka24e , but of course that was 2 years ago greddy might make one for it now
Old 11-15-2002, 12:04 AM

240 factory exhaust on 89-90 are pretty restrictive, i put an apexi n1 catback on mine and it opened it up pretty good