S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

im new,just got my first car (240sx) and need help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

c'mon now, guys. initially, everyone deserves a chance.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:46 AM

hes 15 remember

when i first got my car i ran to autozone and bought a blinking shift ****

give him some time and a chance lol
Old 01-16-2004, 12:17 PM

show me the light guys show me the light...lol thanx
Old 01-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

RIMS-17" 5 SPOKE CROME OR BLACK W/ POLISHED LIP-$800

2 SEATS-BLUE AND BLACK-$400.00

EXAUST SYSTEM-Apexi, HKS etc...
CD DECK-PIONEER OR X-PLODE
SUBS-2 12"
TINT-REAR 3 WINDOWS
SHOCKS-ADJUSTABLE

TURBO-( BEGINNER ) Or swap...

I modified ur list a little bit hehe. First off..i would suggest looking around the FAQ forums, there might be some good info for you there. You going for show and some performance correct? Check the style forum to find out an idea of body kits and etc.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

also, there's something u'll want to consider about the direction u wanna take ur car. there are three general categories:

- comfort
- performance
- style

in short, if ur gonna go all-out, pick one. if ur gonna go semi-hardcore, pick any two. bottomline, there isn't a realistic way to have a jack-of-all-trades car to be the best in each category. not to mention, that won't all happen for a budget of $2000. take ur time, and be realistic about ur goals and ur means to achieve said goal. if u want an award-winning show car, don't think ur gonna get there w/$200 eBay seats, $400 American Racing wheels, and a $350 Maaco paint job.

if ur gonna do some racing (i.e. REAL racing, on a track or auto-x course), concentrate on getting seat time. experience will make u a better driver. Tein HE's and a KAAZ lsd won't. along those lines, racing can prove to be harmful to the car's exterior (dents, chips, perhaps the occasional cracked bumper). that would be a shame if something were to happen to a $2300 bodykit and $4000 worth of color changing metallic candy paint. well, u get what i'm saying...

and, unless u are truly hardcore, daily driving in a car w/a stripped interior, no sound-deadening material, a rollcage, racing buckets w/harnesses, no radio, on-off hard sprung racing clutch, and a super stiff suspension will be a little bit of a bother.

so the point of this long and drawn out post? try to get a good, clear idea of what u want to do and how far u want to go with it. then break down each aspect and approach it sensibly and methodically. it's better than going *****-to-the-walls out of the gate and figuring out later that money was wasted.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:09 PM

alright then thanx alot for the info. i'll definetley keep that all in mind i want to go pretty much equal right now, the things i am worried about most right now are:shocks(it is so uncomfortable in the car as it is right now) and a c.d player rims and paint and an exaust system. that is what i am most determined to buy right now the others will come later, as far as looks and major perormance like turbo etc... thanx -tom
Old 01-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by speedsleeper
alright then thanx alot for the info. i'll definetley keep that all in mind i want to go pretty much equal right now, the things i am worried about most right now are:shocks(it is so uncomfortable in the car as it is right now) and a c.d player rims and paint and an exaust system. that is what i am most determined to buy right now the others will come later, as far as looks and major perormance like turbo etc... thanx -tom
when u say that it's uncomfortable, what exactly is the problem? is the ride too harsh, bouncy, or what? just to let u know, if ur used to the smooth floating ride of a Cadillac, u won't find that in a 240. even the stock suspension is fairly stiff compared to most other cars. do u know if the shocks and springs on urs are stock? if not, u might wanna find out what's on there. adjustable shocks and a good spring set will offer the best compromise between responsive handling and ride comfort.

cd player? i can't recommend anything in particular. try drnovascotia (he's pretty sharp w/audio stuff)

as far a paint goes, it depends on what ur after. decent (stock replacement) paint runs about $1K and up. of course, the fancier, the costlier. there's a thread in the style section about getting what u pay for when paint's involved.

with rims, an important (and often overlooked) aspect of rim selection is offset. i'm no good at explaining that, so i'd suggest going to justtires.com or tirerack.com and looking up offset. what i can tell u is that it plays a part in fitment where the brakes, suspension, and fenders.

i hope that helps somewhat.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:18 PM

ok thanx ill check all that out but ya my car is really stiff when i go over a bump in the road i thing the car is gonna flip lol.

TOM
Old 01-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, the stiffness is normal w/these cars. however, i fear that softer settings would reduce the car's cornering effectiveness.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

Hey you guys dont worry im hist best friend, Ive been trying to show him the light lol, he jus needs someone else to back me up on everything I say. Im fully dedicated to cars, hes not. Just dont call him a ricer or ne thing.
Ryan
Old 01-17-2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by drnovascotia
adding what your plans are will help. Painting the car isn't cheap if you wanna do it right. How about prepping and black primer? heh

Dr.
hey man welcome i just started work on my car, and i found out 4 painting my car and for the work i want put into it its gona run me about 3,000, so yea its not cheap but i think in the long run it will be worth it. Hyjynx still tryin to decide on a color i want to see more pics of white ones so i can decide
Old 01-19-2004, 01:37 PM

ya thanx for all the help guys, i was really thinking about doing black primer but i need to know what it would lookk like. that would be my last resort though. i want to try to see if i can fix my problem(the clearcoat is coming off and that is what is making it look so crappy) by putting more clearcoat over it or something do you guys have any suggestions? i have these like sunspots or something all over my paint and it looks really bad.

thanx -Tom
Old 02-06-2005, 06:08 AM

I guess the first question is do you like the original color of your car? If so you might be able to restore some of the luster to your paint. Try this page

Under Car Care 101 and it will show you how restore old paint. I did it to mine and it looks great. It'll save you the trouble of painting the whole car, but if you don't like the original color there's no point in restoring it.