S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

buying a 1991 240 next week

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 01:17 PM

buying a 1991 240 next week

i am buying a 1991 240 sx next week, it has just under 81k on it and i getting it for a grand but it's an auto i got a dui and i have to sell my 96 maxima se so that i can afford to pay for the fines, court costs, lawyer fees, ard program, and probably some drivers classes. but atleast there is a few positive things here. i will drive my 240 until i pay off all of my costs of my dui and then buy another max and keep the 240 for a project car. i know nothing about 240's so if some of you can enlighten me on the 240 about some things, about how much will it cost for an sr20det and manual tranny swap cost me when this becomes a project car?? what can i do to add some power until i can afford the swap?? i seen some headers(pacesetter) in jc whitney for $160, are they any good??( iknow that for the most part pacesetter isn't awesome quality, but acceptable??? all i've seen as far as intakes are short ram, are there any cai's?? what else can i do to add some cheap($$$$) power to tide me over until i pay some things off. danm the trunk on this 240 is soooooo small i'm gonna have to buy new subs and new front door speakers, but i can use the rear speakers from my max still, i'm not sure what model 240sx this is?? it has a trunk and not the hatch, heads up display on the window for the speedometer, electronic speedometer in the dash, tape deck, manual climate controls, alloy wheels, it's in pretty good shape for a 13 year old car, a few, very very minor rust spots where the door hinges are and one minor rust spot under the door.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:25 PM

oh yeah crutchfield says the front door speakers are 4x6's or 4"s, is there room to cut and fit 5 1/4's or even 6 1/2's ???? how easy is it run power wire from the engine compartment to the trunk??? i know some cars are really easy and some are really hard to get through the firewall. my max was extremely easy and my ex gf's neon was almost impossible.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:32 PM

oh and i just read something somewhere about a rb25det what's the difference between that and the sr20det?
Old 11-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Ok dude calm down so many questions so lil time. Your question can easily be answered with searching (search in forums and on google)Ill give u sum info though.

For a SR20DET it will cost ya..2500+ shipping, then for the manual buy the master cylinder, pressure line and driveshaft and u should be set, that will cost ya around..100-200 (Clutch pedal and slave cylinder should come with the front clip, DONT GET A MOTOR SET)

For a lil extra power get intake and exhaust...dont spend to much. i wouldnt trust pacesetter at all!

the 240 ur lookin at is a coupe

Im not good at audio so just search around for that stuff..or sumone will help ya out.

And on the RB25..search around, u will find A LOT of info on that. We have covered that and a lot of the stuff many times, before u post something please try and search before u ask a question
Oh yea Welcome to the forums
Old 11-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Dude, searching, or even looking at the threads already up would have answered every one of your questions.

But, i'll try and help. Hyjnx did the engine stuff, i'l do the audio.

First off, DUI is totally not cool, driving while drunk isn't smart and I hope you don't do it again. Grr.

Pacesetter is JUNK, don't get it. And you need to decide if you want to do a SR20 swap, or go NA ka, or KAT, because you don't want to buy hotshot headers and injen and then swap your engine, thats a total waste of $$.

A manual swap, the parts can be bought for $400-700, and you'll be looking several hundred to be installed, but if you search you can find more. Many people have done it.
Here's a link on a write up,

Auto -> 5 spd Swap

your best bet would be to do the manual swap if you get a SR20, the front clip would come with almost everything you'd need, and most install shops would install the swap for cheap because you're already paying them for the sr20 install.

For the audio, the fastbacks have 4X6's the whole way around, which totally sucks, and coupe's have 4x6's in the front, and 6.5" in the rear I believe. If you read the audio forum, you would see someone put 6.5" speakers in the front, and even was kind enough to make a write-up. I also included the link on how to take the doors off, complete with pics. You can put 5.25" ot 6.5" with a bit of modding, in the front or back.

The rears I just bought 6X9's and put them in boxes, perfect mid-bass. However your coupe stick with 6.5" or 6", whatever they are.

hope that helped.

Dr.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

i'm late to the party again. anyways, welcome aboard. congrats on the car, shame on u for drving drunk , and seach the forums for answers. that's the condensed version since JynX and the Doc beat me to it already...
Old 11-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

what can I say, i'm a machine. heh

Dr.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by drnovascotia
what can I say, i'm a machine. heh

Dr.
ur not the only one hehe
Old 11-04-2003, 05:51 AM

thanks for the replies. is there a faq's sticky somewhere for noobies like myself ?? i guess i need to get to work with the search function.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by noobie_to_ka24
thanks for the replies. is there a faq's sticky somewhere for noobies like myself ?? i guess i need to get to work with the search function.
methinks the site admins are working on the faq issue. in the meantime, searching is the best bet. remember to use the boolean "AND" to use multiple words and each word should be (i think) at least three characters long...
Old 11-04-2003, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

yes, ********** and go to the FAQ's is a damn good place to start.

Dr.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

If the Admins havent started yet i dont mind making a 240 FAQ..might take me awhile but im sure i can do a pretty damn good one.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
If the Admins havent started yet i dont mind making a 240 FAQ..might take me awhile but im sure i can do a pretty damn good one.
hell, i'll even through my two cents in (and even get change back)!!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

I think the 240sx faq's are a damn good place to start, but they need to be updated and given steps. If we re-did those, maybe even added some pics I think it would definately help.

You two ****** can start them up, lol. Heck i'd even help with a couple.

Dr.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by drnovascotia
I think the 240sx faq's are a damn good place to start, but they need to be updated and given steps. If we re-did those, maybe even added some pics I think it would definately help.

You two ****** can start them up, lol. Heck i'd even help with a couple.

Dr.
Ok well ill try and start the FAQ up thursday..probably will be up by the weekend if i dont get lazy. Ill write as much as i can bout the 240 (S13 and S14)

Quick Reply: buying a 1991 240 next week