Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

California Crackdown on Modified Cars ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 09:55 PM

California Crackdown on Modified Cars ?

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Article Excerpt:
"We're looking to make a heavy impact on speeding and street racing in this area," Sacramento Police Deputy Chief Steve Segura said during a press conference with local and state officials on Del Paso Road in North Natomas.
Source: Area law enforcers to receive training to combat street racing (Sacramento Bee, 8/4/2005)

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp
Old 08-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

That's gay.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l3ooherS14
That's gay.
Quiet Jake your in TN
Old 08-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Contributing Member

You sure that's true? they can't even spell exhaust.

btw, who the hell cares if you're car is "modified".. as long as you have an emissions sticker or whatever in california you should be fine... it doesn't mean you're going to be driving fast... I hate this, this country is going to shït.. god damn George Bush,. he sucks. lol I know he doesn't really have much to do with this I guess, but he still sucks.

Last edited by lrb_2000; 08-10-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

It is gay, but I've heard/seen of people gettin pulled over just because the car looks modded. A friend of a friend told me that he was pulled over because the cop saw that he had a FMIC. FMIC means you have turbo.....the thing is, he was driving an evo 8. So they are cracking down on people with FMIC because only a select few cars have stock turbos. Only greddy (correct me if I'm wrong) is the company that offers street legal turbo kits. A few friends have gotten pulled over because their cars have loud exhaust and lowered. They have SRs, but they've been able to BS their way out of the ticket because the cops who pulled them over didn't know any better(red top SRs but painted black valve cover). Out here where I live, I see cars all the time pulled over with their hoods up and the police officer checking out the engine. I was pulled over once for having my license plate on the dash and my car was lowered. BS'ed my way out of a ticket and got a "warning."
I think it's all because of the people who don't keep it off the streets. Dumbasses who ruin it for everyone. Majority of them are ricers.....bastids!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:28 AM

i call them people Hot Import Nighters. hahaha yea keep it off teh street. cops are smarter now about the drift scene.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:45 PM

SEMA - along with the goverment alows the aftermarket to servie. You can't get a ticket for modified parts with DOT or fedral stickers. As far as i know they can't stop a 5billion industry with 5mill
Old 08-10-2005, 12:47 PM

and also i say it's time someone starts making sleeper motor kits to make valve covers look like the orignal motor , and black FMICs for the cali people. Nice to live on the east coast though now =)
Old 08-10-2005, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by lrb_2000
You sure that's true? they can't even spell exhaust.

btw, who the hell cares if you're car is "modified".. as long as you have an emissions sticker or whatever in california you should be fine... it doesn't mean you're going to be driving fast... I hate this, this country is going to shït.. god damn George Bush,. he sucks. lol I know he doesn't really have much to do with this I guess, but he still sucks.
it's the republicans :-p and the Arnold , thats what you all get for ellecting that idiot.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:00 PM
PNG

Originally posted by Shri222
it's the republicans :-p and the Arnold , thats what you all get for ellecting that idiot.
You're blaming Republicans for environmental regulations? Are you high?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

as far as I see it... we'll run out of oil before the exhaust gases from our little cars pollute the air anymore than big trucks, ships, trains, different types of mills, ects... it's retarded... it's just something else people can complain about, because that's all people in this country do.. .nothing can ever be left alone.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by PNG
You're blaming Republicans for environmental regulations? Are you high?
yea the smell of lower priced east coast gass dose that to me. still freakin almost $3 a gallon, thats all republican rigth there.
plus its they who pushin the conservative movment. this just falls into it. Who ever listened to the tree huggers. They broke..

Last edited by Shri222; 08-10-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

well yeah... maybe in 2008 things will get better? hopefully.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

yeah CA used to be the place .. but its getting bad.
I had a video somewhere of the local San Diego police crushing an Iroc with an aftermarket 506 in it.

They confenscated it, crushed it, and played the video on the news. Saying "this is what will happen."

Thats Bull****. I live in Ma, the cops around here, they don't really give a ****. They ask to see us do burnouts sometimes lol. Cuase they like the cars!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Damn CARB *****....the reason why I have to stay KA

Quick Reply: California Crackdown on Modified Cars ?