NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 07:55 AM

Question Timing Chain Replacement

Hi Guys. Another Newbie here. I just bought a 1993 240SX Coupe with 140K miles. I am not noticing any noises from the timing chain, but want to get it replaced just to be safe. Anyone here direct me to a shop in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that will do a good job without raking me over the coals $$$ wise? Or are there any members in the DFW area that want to earn some extra money on the side to do this job?

I thought about doing this myself, but I just don't have the time or tools to get it done - or the know how.

Thanks for your replies,
TexRauder
'99 Marauder Hot Rod
Old 03-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

you are only gona want to replace the tensioner and guides...
the chain is probaly fine..they usually dont wear or stretch.

but then again what do i know about timing issues in the S13?

if you decide to do the job your self(recomended) you will only need a handfull of tools
Old 03-18-2003, 08:18 AM

Time is more of a problem than anything else. What do I need to do to replace just the parts that you are recommending?

What is required to do the tensioner and guides?

Also, my lower seal on the front of the oil pan is leaking, what is required to fix that? Is it as simple as dropping the oil pan and putting a new gasket on?

Sorry for all the questions, but like I said, I'm a newbie to the 240SX - all my previous experience is with small block chevys! Ask me a question about a 383 stroker motor and I can build one in my sleep, but I'm just not familiar with the 240SX yet. Although, I am enjoying driving it - this is a great car to drive!

Thanks.

Last edited by TexRauder; 03-18-2003 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by TexRauder
Time is more of a problem than anything else. What do I need to do to replace just the parts that you are recommending?

What is required to do the tensioner and guides?

Also, my lower seal on the front of the oil pan is leaking, what is required to fix that? Is it as simple as dropping the oil pan and putting a new gasket on?

Sorry for all the questions, but like I said, I'm a newbie to the 240SX - all my previous experience is with small block chevys! Ask me a question about a 383 stroker motor and I can build one in my sleep, but I'm just not familiar with the 240SX yet. Although, I am enjoying driving it - this is a great car to drive!

Thanks.
to get the timing cover off you'll need a set of metric sockets
to get the tensioner and guides out you'll need the same and mabey allen keys
to get that iol leak fixed unbolt the first 4 bolts on the pan..and losen the one behind the last one on each side(feel me?)
pop the pan down a little and clean it up a little bit. then hit it with some permatex #6(blue)

the job is really easy but a pain in the A$$ because you have to remove so much shYt

http://www.**********/faq/articles/ti..._questions.htm
read up
Old 03-18-2003, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the help rudeboy! The tensioner and guides sound more like something that I can handle.

So just to make sure that Iunderstand the process - I need to put the engine at TDC, pull the distributor, remove the valve cover, take the top timing cover off and then I should be able to get to both tensioners and guides to replace them. After that, seal it all up, put it back together and reset the timing.

Sometimes it can be a real pain to be 35 and learning new tricks!

Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2003, 12:51 PM

I was going to do the Timing chain myself on the KA so I can at least drive the 240, but decided that I dont have the time and asked a shop to quote it for me...they say 13 hours of labor...does this sound odd to anyone else?
Old 03-18-2003, 02:58 PM

Yeah, I talked to several shops and they all quoted about 19 hours for labor - about $1100 I'd drop a new engine in before paying that kind of labor cost. That's one of the reasons that I posted up to see if anyone wanted to make some money on the side.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:16 PM

I was quoted today 500 for the parts (courtesynissan has them for 290 something) and 630 for labor...and this is from a friend.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

I am going to do this to the KA going into the car replacing my ailing 93KA.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by TexRauder
Yeah, I talked to several shops and they all quoted about 19 hours for labor - about $1100 I'd drop a new engine in before paying that kind of labor cost. That's one of the reasons that I posted up to see if anyone wanted to make some money on the side.
i can do it in 4 1/2
i've done it pleanty times to know what's up and the little tricks

www.autopartsworld.com

i got mine for like 250 or sumthin cheap
Old 03-18-2003, 06:38 PM

So, when you gonna be in down here in TEXAS to do it? 4 1/2 hours at normal shop rate = I'll gladly pay you $300 to do the job!
Old 03-18-2003, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

but the thing is i doubt i'll be in TX anytime soon

i'd do it for almost nuthin
Old 03-18-2003, 07:38 PM

Anyone in VA wanna do it for me? I can either get the KA fixed now or keep driving the rental car. The prelude is in the shop for about a months worth of repairs, which adds up to just under a G for rental car.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

man...just fix it yourself...
you wont believe how easy it is
Old 03-22-2003, 08:05 AM

Hey Rude!

Are you gonna be in Jersey any time soon, specifically the East Brunswick area?

Seriously, I was told by a mechanic that this was an issue, but not one that needed immediate tending to, one that could be done at a later time, but I'm thinking if I wait too long it could be disasterous. Anyone know for sure? Is this just as common on the 95s as the earlier models?

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Replacement