NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Cooling fan spinning too fast...ever have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 06:43 PM

Cooling fan spinning too fast...ever have this problem?

You know the cooling fan that's right behind the radiator? Well until now, I believe it usually just spun at a constant rate (even though it seems to be part of the pulley connected to crank and power steering.

Well, recently it seems the fan is now spinning the same speed as the crank, thus it gets really loud as you accelerate.

I almost get the feeling that there's some kind of sensor that when it notices the fan is reaching a certain rpm, it stops spinning the same speed as the crank. because if i rev it high enough, it's like it realizes it, and the fan will go at a constant rate until i stop again. Then it's the same thing all over until i rev the engine high enough.

any ideas?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:48 PM

Well I did some research and found out it's the fan clutch. Didn't even know there was such a thing. I'm used to honda's with their electric fans. :P

Anyway, i took the old fan clutch out and I couldn't spin it with my hands. It's all clogged up or something. I ended up getting a new one from Napa for $80. Sucks cuz I know I could've found it cheaper elsewhere but oh well. Problem solved and car's back to running nice and smooth without a loud fan anymore.