General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

what octane should KA use 87 or 89?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 12:29 AM

So if I use 93 octane what am I doing to my car?
Old 03-18-2005, 12:43 AM

Losing HP and gas mileage.... If the engines compression isn't higher 9.7:"what ever", and the timing isn't advanced, 9.7/8.5 will run 89 octane just fine....
Old 03-18-2005, 12:46 AM

So is agreed that 89 is the best octane to use? except for everyonce in a while when you should use 93 for the cleaners.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Chiefgmsr
So is agreed that 89 is the best octane to use? except for everyonce in a while when you should use 93 for the cleaners.
Never use a fuel that isn't recomended for your vehicle's engine. If you want to clean your carb or MPI just buy STP injector cleaner for your car it cost under $2.50, to make sure you don't get deposite's on the valves/valve train just change your air/or fuel filter when recomended by chilton's/haynes manual. Nice trick too know : if you can get a hold of 190 proof alcohol dump a half pint into a 15 gallon mixture of gasoline, that will also clean your fuel injectors, and valve train.
Also mandatory for oil changes, change your oil every 3000miles as recomended by the oil filter manufacturer. That will prevent oil viscosity build up, and loss in HP do to age and degredation of internal moving components. Do "NOT" ever use 5minute engine flush at you local auto store "kragen" to name a few, and they only sell crap anyway's that they claim is performance for your AVG. moron. The chemical compound in 5minute oil flush destroys the engine during the 5 minutes of idle rev, killing your bearing's and piston rings, also including damage to the valve train.
Yes; 89octane is only to be used on a stock "trim 240sx" unless you have either advanced your timing 4degress on the distributor for 91 octane, or had a performance rebuild with higher compression pistons, fuel injectors, etc...., or an engine management upgrade that will allow to dump more fuel,"other wise known as a rich fuel/air ratio.....
It is unecessary to use a fuel at any other rating, your not really hurting the engine on higher octane's, your just eating out your pocket bookMy 2 cen'ts.....
Where is Raine when ya need him on the fact's......
Just a reminder to you noobs buy the chilton's/hayne's manual that is the bible to your engine...........
Old 03-18-2005, 12:43 PM

i own the chiltons, but in michigan premuim is 91 octane. so that could make sense then if your premuim is 89. but our regular is 87 and our silver is 89 and premuim 91. so then should i just use silver (89)? what does 87 do?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:24 PM

you need to use a higher octane if you have a high compression motor or force induction and engines perform best at a certain octane. goif a engine is designed for 89, then it'll work best with 89. doesnt mean putting 91 will make it better
Old 03-18-2005, 04:43 PM

so how about sea foam. is it one of those 5 mins flush as BigVinnie said? or is it better?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by s13_peacekeeper
i own the chiltons, but in michigan premuim is 91 octane. so that could make sense then if your premuim is 89. but our regular is 87 and our silver is 89 and premuim 91. so then should i just use silver (89)? what does 87 do?
87 octane is bad and has the lesser oxygen of all the octane fuel's, using 87 octane can let the engine run too hot causing early detonation before TDC, it can cause damage to the valve train, knock and ping, it can also cause bent rods. It is dangerous....
weither or not if 89 octane is called silver "in very few U.S states" or premium "in most u.s states", it is still only 89 octane that you are to use for all stock trim KA24de's. "Almost" all cars manufactured in the U.S since about 1987 have been built to the California smog emission standard to simplify the production line of the vehicle's.......
You will also notice this manufacture type of production when you read your chilton's/haynes manuals.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by jackyliem
so how about sea foam. is it one of those 5 mins flush as BigVinnie said? or is it better?
Any additive added to your motor oil degrades the quality of the oil, Cleaning process as far as chemical additives is not recomended for your engine. If you become too concerned about viscosity switch to synthetic oil instead, and have little to zero viscosity, and a longer life engine...
Old 03-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Contributing Member

I run 87 w/o any problems.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by ArticDragon
I run 87 w/o any problems.
Yike's man........ Stick to the recomended fuel. I don't suggest you rev your engine too high for too long on that fuel. You will "SERIOUSLY" F@#K your shiat up........
But then again you have the 91-94ka24de engine which has the lower of the 2 compression ratio's I believe 8.5:1?
That to me is a "border line" regular 87octane engine, you also have to keep in mind that the factory advancement in timing is already preset at 20 ATDC, believe me you will do better on 89...
Old 03-19-2005, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I don't run the hell out of my engine or keep the revs up too high. The highest I ever continually rev it at is 4k on the highway is anythng. It doesnt ping at all and runs just fine. It also has 76k on it if that means anything.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:00 AM

so what about the ka24e? i now know that the ka-de is best for 89 but is the ka-e the same with its lower compression?
this is fun im learning all kinds of new stuff i never even thought about! thanks big vinnie.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:16 PM

octaine??? the higher the better i always use 93 and if i dare find 98 in NYC man ill go there
Old 03-19-2005, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by chiroke
octaine??? the higher the better i always use 93 and if i dare find 98 in NYC man ill go there
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Dude I am no longer posting in this thread...... Somepeople know nothing about the compression chamber "obviously", or of the internal combustion engine.....For the last time the chiltons/haynes recomends 89!!!!!!!!! What don't you understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Geez some people are just born stupid. Shiat like this is F@#KIN' up my thizzle high RIGHT NOW. If you wan't to be dumb and add higher or lower fuels that is your perogitive..... But don't preach you negative uneducated opinion that it is alright to use higher octanes, you are not helping the performance, so you might as well buy the "correct" cheaper fuels.......I swear too many teenagers in these forums that really don't know jack about engines. I bet almost none of you read your repair manuals.....

Quick Reply: what octane should KA use 87 or 89?