General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

The Top Dogs of the SR's and KA's

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 03:52 AM

Yeah, I didn't get to drive it much though.. I broke 2 rear ends and shreaded a tranny.. I gave up on it before I could finish the drivetrain like it needed to be done. I'm probably going to throw a mild (350whp) KA24DE in this summer, just to drag at the track this fall.. I haven't had time to mess around with it. I can tell you that 661whp, isn't very streetable, and isn't very fun when it does come on.. It's pretty scary, actually.

Travis
Old 05-10-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by TurboS13hatch
Yeah, I didn't get to drive it much though.. I broke 2 rear ends and shreaded a tranny.. I gave up on it before I could finish the drivetrain like it needed to be done. I'm probably going to throw a mild (350whp) KA24DE in this summer, just to drag at the track this fall.. I haven't had time to mess around with it. I can tell you that 661whp, isn't very streetable, and isn't very fun when it does come on.. It's pretty scary, actually.

Travis
I'm guessing that is some scary power for a little over a 2000LB car....
Couldn't you of upgraded to a 300ztt axle and and driveshaft with some custom cutting and welding?????????? The transmissions needed cost a little more than $3000, that is major dough to be spent for that kind of power.....
Are you going NA with the KA24de. I hear with a clover leaf weld design in the head you can get NA compression into the 12:1 and 13:1 CR's. Which is needed for a 350CHP NA KA24de......
Old 05-10-2005, 08:02 PM

I could have... I just lost interest in the car I guess... I build cars non-stop for other people year-round.. so I guess I'm just burnt out on it. I wanted to do a solid axle in the rear, with a TH400 automatic tranny.. that would have put the car deep in the 9's. Like I said, I just lost interest.

I'm going to do a light-pressure turbo setup on a pretty much stock bottom end KA, with some head work, a custom short runner intake manifold, and a custom tubular 4-1 manifold. I want to focus on efficiency to make my power, at low boost levels.

Travis
Old 05-10-2005, 10:42 PM

I could have... I just lost interest in the car I guess... I build cars non-stop for other people year-round.. so I guess I'm just burnt out on it. I wanted to do a solid axle in the rear, with a TH400 automatic tranny.. that would have put the car deep in the 9's. Like I said, I just lost interest.

I'm going to do a light-pressure turbo setup on a pretty much stock bottom end KA, with some head work, a custom short runner intake manifold, and a custom tubular 4-1 manifold. I want to focus on efficiency to make my power, at low boost levels.

Travis
Thats great Travis I'm glad your taking the KA route..........
Sorry you feel sooo burnt out.....
Why don't you do a cheap fun performance project using the KA on a Datsun 510.......
That should be a fun daily driver with great 1/4mile times......
Smog exception too........
There fun builds too, I've done 2 of them so far one with an L series and one with a KA both NA, but both were fun to build....
510's do some mean *** donuts..........
Old 05-10-2005, 10:44 PM

I've often considered trying to find a 510 chassis... I've never realy had any luck finding one in good shape. What's the curb weight on the 510 anyway? What can you get it down to once gutted?

Travis
Old 05-10-2005, 10:55 PM

well I think after it is completly stripped and gutted you can get it to about 1400LB.s, with engine,transmission, and one driver seat.........
Completly stripped with no engine and transmission, me and another friend could pick the whole sub frame and chassis off the ground........
If you have problems finding a 510 my buddy desmond has one in almost mint condition with a rebuilt L16 for $2000.......
You can probably work a deal with him that you would rather engine swap, he could sell the L series engine and tranny at the dime quarterly anyway......
If you want other options looking for 510's www.dimequarterly.com sells them in the for sale adds all the time.......
Old 05-10-2005, 11:08 PM

I might look into it... I've got a project going on right now that I have to finish, first.. I'm putting a Yamaha R1 (1000cc, 160hp) engine/trans on a modified shifter kart chassis. Once I get that done, I'll probably look at doing something either with my S chassis, or maybe a 510.

Travis
Old 05-10-2005, 11:50 PM

I might look into it... I've got a project going on right now that I have to finish, first.. I'm putting a Yamaha R1 (1000cc, 160hp) engine/trans on a modified shifter kart chassis. Once I get that done, I'll probably look at doing something either with my S chassis, or maybe a 510.

Travis
Sounds good P.M me if you ever want pics.........