General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

The Top Dogs of the SR's and KA's

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 05:05 AM

OK, to clarify things all of the KAs on that list were on forged internals so that whole little debate about the SRs being forged and the KAs being stock was unecessary.
I'm a KA man myself (Own a KA-T powered S13) so dont think I'm on the SR side or anything. I respect both motors equally and the fact is that the stock KA cant survive much over 400whp on with those weak rings and wont survive much over 500whp on stock rods. This has been proven. Duy, Rick, and Ivan all had forged internals on their high hp KA when reaching those power level listed.

BTW, Ivan's (Phat-KAT) new power level on the KA is 638whp/599wtq which is clearly the most powerful of the entire list. If you take into mind the hp and tq combined, he stands out from the rest by a huge margin.

Last edited by Will fastback S; 04-17-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by Will fastback S
BTW, Ivan's (Phat-KAT) new power level on the KA is 638whp/599wtq which is clearly the most powerful of the entire list. If you take into mind the hp and tq combined, he stands out from the rest by a huge margin.
Impressive! They're doing some awesome things over at PhatKA-T! Was that on a shot of nitrious or all-turbo? Impressive none-the-less. I will update the list!
Old 04-17-2005, 10:26 AM

All turbo, no nitrous. And Ivan says there is still room for improvement.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

is there any way to get a hold of Scott (Enthalpy). I'm curious if he can work some magic on a CA18 ECU.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

OK, to clarify things all of the KAs on that list were on forged internals so that whole little debate about the SRs being forged and the KAs being stock was unecessary.
I'm a KA man myself (Own a KA-T powered S13) so dont think I'm on the SR side or anything. I respect both motors equally and the fact is that the stock KA cant survive much over 400whp on with those weak rings and wont survive much over 500whp on stock rods. This has been proven. Duy, Rick, and Ivan all had forged internals on their high hp KA when reaching those power level listed.

i viewed the phat ka-t vid like 2 weeks ago does that guy have stock enternals, also is it tru that u can run CA cam shafts and retainers on the KA motor. I have reseached every motor ( SR, RB and CA) that can go in my 240 cause i showed intrest in all. But because of my budget i will go with a KA-T project.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

In one of the runs, where he runs a mid 11s 1/4 miles, he's boosting 18 psi on stock internals I think. I'll post up the thread when I find it. It shows a vid too.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by JDMxDrift
is there any way to get a hold of Scott (Enthalpy). I'm curious if he can work some magic on a CA18 ECU.
Email him. Be patient though, he has a LOT of people emailing him about rom tunes and ecu stuff!

enthalpy@tamparacing.com
Old 04-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Thank You FirePlug!! I seem to run into you a lot. BTW, your PM box was full when i replied to you. Her name is Nani Nicole....
Old 04-18-2005, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Biggamehit
also is it tru that u can run CA cam shafts and retainers on the KA motor.
It can be done, but it is "not easy", the KA cam shaft sprocket assembly has to be welded and retro fitted from the CA's original belt assembly "basically the removal of the CA belt assembly". It takes alot of machinig from what I understand, but is possible... More than likely you are better off regrinding the cam specs from the CA, and some people claim that you can even take the specs from the FJ20 also, since it was a hydraulic bucket assembly also.... Nissan keeps the valve train assembly's very simple, it's called the parts bin where Nissan uses same specs materials and throws together a completly new engine. For example the KA is manufactured from the specs of the NAPS-z/CA/FJ/L-Series.......
KA crank, rods, and pistons were first produced in the first NAPS-Z in 1980.........
KA bucket style hydraulic assembly was first produced in the FJ I think in 1981, and then in the CA in 1983. Also used in the VG30de in 1990.
KA engine block is a modified NAPS-Z 20/22/24e block, all parts of KA can bolt to the NAPS-Z cast Iron blocks, even the transmissions.
All Sohc valves in the "e" KA have been used since the L 20b, CA sohc engines, and NAPS-Z sohc engines. All DOHC valves have been used since the CA of 1983.......
There is the list of interchangeble parts.........
As far as I still understand phat KA-T blew the internals on boosting and has since then forged the internals. Giving the new HP dyno....
As far as piston rings are manufactured in the KA, they are manufactured the same as the SR20det "stock", "same MATERIAL" there is no weak rings in the KA.......
The weak strength of the KA is in the "BORE and STROKE" a rod will more likely snap or bend before a ring fry's.......
But due to stroke and 2.4litre's you will more than likely fry ring's on high rev after 6800RPM" on high boosting turbo's", due to it's large piston mass rubbing along the cylinder wall...... Boosting on KA under the 6800RPM is no problem on stock internals...........
If you havent noticed any engine with shot peened steel stock internals are "labelled" at the "danger level" of 400chp, but that doesn't mean that it is proven fact.........
High HP and boosting are achievable on the KA as long as the 6800RPM is not exceeded, remeber fella's KA is a stroker.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-20-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the info big V u just confirmed what i already read on Nico.

i just bought a new KA ( my third ) with 79,000, let the games began
Old 04-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ArticDragon
In one of the runs, where he runs a mid 11s 1/4 miles, he's boosting 18 psi on stock internals I think. I'll post up the thread when I find it. It shows a vid too.
Found it
http://forums.********.com/zerothread?id=84407
Here's the vid.

Originally posted by IvanAtSPRacing
I took the PK R&D car out to the track this past Sunday and made two all out passes.

14psi 12.0 @ 115
16psi 11.717 @ 118.54 mph

car is a 91 240sx with 115,500 miles. Stock long block. PK turbo kit, PK fuel system, PK intecooler, AEM EMS

This car has full interior, working AC, radio, power windows, etc. We did take the spare tire and jack out of the car tho.

The car was run on a 24.5 - 8 - 15 MT ET drag tire

http://www.phatka-t.com/phatkat11.mpeg
right click and save as

Sorry for the poor quality and the damn rotory in the background making all the noise.

Last edited by ArticDragon; 04-26-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Correct. Here's the thread and vid to prove it.
http://www.phatka-t.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=916#916
http://www.phatka-t.com/videos/638dyno.zip

I love torque.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by ArticDragon
Correct. Here's the thread and vid to prove it.
http://www.phatka-t.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=916#916
http://www.phatka-t.com/videos/638dyno.zip

I love torque.
They're already at the top of the first page. Oh well.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:09 PM

That is what I call an RB/SR killer!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 09:43 AM

Ha Ha! New record....661whp for SR20DET

Quick Reply: The Top Dogs of the SR's and KA's