General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

SR20 DET or upgrade stock internals???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 08:57 PM

yea, i'd just do wut u want and do wuts in yur price range
Old 11-19-2005, 08:58 PM

i got a question though, would it be cheaper and better to tubo a ka instead of gettin a sr20
Old 11-19-2005, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by iluvdrifting
i got a question though, would it be cheaper and better to tubo a ka instead of gettin a sr20
SEARCH!!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:06 PM

good god vinnie is right in his "DAMN did the biggest...." thread
Old 11-19-2005, 09:33 PM

OK Price Range: about 7000$ right now. What i want outta the set-up is a car with as close as i can to 300whp thats drivable everyday and reliable as possible. Now i will be takin it to do quarter-mile times cause im gonna be curious what i can do. Anyways back to the $. im lookin at an old 93 240 cheap, yes its gonna need work but i fill have a bunch of new parts in there and then money left over for the engine build. I want a turbo on there plain and simple... So thats why i was wondering like in my first post, what would be more whp for the buck? An upgraded Ka turbocharged or a SR20 with a turbo upgrade???
Old 11-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by iluvdrifting
plz search. I think I just got 2 IQ points dumber for having posted in the same thread as you.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Well if you get a turbokit for your ka for about $2000-$4000 you will also need a new clutch $400 that can handle the horsepower you will be putting out. Also spend some time/money working on the internails of the ka changeing the head gasket etc, so you can run boost safely.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:45 PM

ok that sounds about right, i really have no problem putting in the wrench time to change the internals. Its gonna be worth it to see the before and after difference. My friend just got a SR20 installed into his 96 sentra. I mean yeah it took awhile for the shop to do it but its not impossible on your own. With the money ill save doing it myself, ill go get a stage 2 ACT clutch.

CowboyTurbo, if you dont have anything constructive to say, well just keep your mouth shut and save whatever intelligence you have left i guess. Im asking for help to make a decision, and your posts arent really helping...
Old 11-20-2005, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

for starters there are no push rods. its an overhead cam motor. are you referring to the connecting rods? if so, to save some money and still get a pretty strong set-up have your old ones straightened, shotpeened, and have largerarp rod bolts put in. do a ka-t, get arp head studs, metal head gasket, minor rebuild such as new bearings, rings, maybe some fairly decent pistons, like arias if they make em for ka. new pumps, belts and so on. 300rwhp is easy to get to.

with a ka motor rebuilt you will have more potential for a lasting motor than say the sr route, only due to the fact that it is used.

dont blow all your money on the motor, you might want to look at the complete project. like suspension, new tires, and brakes.

Last edited by bottombunk; 11-20-2005 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

and by the way 240 tuner, you might not want to tell poeple to shut up considering you dont know much at all about cars. if you come on here asking dumb questions its inevitable you get flamed. just deal with it and youll get better results. just a suggestion.

Last edited by bottombunk; 11-20-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 240SX_Tuner
CowboyTurbo, if you dont have anything constructive to say, well just keep your mouth shut and save whatever intelligence you have left i guess. Im asking for help to make a decision, and your posts arent really helping...
Remember this?

Originally posted by 240SX_Tuner
K thanks, that should be just about perfect cause i got about 6 500$ to spend so the car, then i guess just basic intake, exhaust, headers to start...
I believe that was in response to my first post in this thread

And in regards to this~

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
Big V is talking about getting ECU upgrades and cam upgrades for the KA. Together, they can provide more than 10% hp gains. If you don't know, then you really really need to just keep reading and learn some more until you do know. As far as I know there isn't a cam that fits both engines~ they're different engines after all.
that's just a clarification of what Big V was getting at. My next post was to goad you into learning some more because if you don't know that cams aren't interchangeable in 2 completely different motors, then you gotta learn some. And as for my post prior to this one, well that one wasn't targeted at you~ so don't get your panties all in a jumble.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:49 PM

Alright turbo, yes i know i got a lot to learn, sorry bout that but **** man, all you had to say was check this forum, you will find some answers there... I have decided to go with the upgraded ka and hopefully make it turbocharged. Does anyone know the proper cam duration, or the valve over-lap to make the most power out of the KA. Big V im sure you would know a lot about that :P you suggested it in the first place. Also i dont know how much a good performance cam is or what cast of metal is best. Please let me know if u do. Thanks
Old 11-20-2005, 12:52 PM

If you are going turbo, I would hold off on the cams till I am actually doing the turbo install due to most cams I have seen being either designed with N/A or turboing a car in mind, not designed to work with both platforms, someone can correct me if I am wrong though.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Well in reference to KA. CAMS are not always the best route to take when turbo charging. Alot of people that have used the Jim Wolfe and PDM cams had claimed that there wasn't a large difference in significant power gains, but rather larger more significant changes in the power band where power is made with the cams, and turbo charging. There is a cam designed specifically for turbo charging with the KA that is more of an aggressive cam unlike the PDM or the JimWolfe which are only mildly aggressive.
It is called the crower V series cam and they are regrinded from your original cams, (which means you have to have your cams sent off). You can call crower and ask for the V3 cam which is an exlusive cam designed for http://www.ka-t.org/ members. I believe it is $300 to get them regrinded.
Another trick that turbo guys are doing besides the swapping of cams is an ecu tune and an advancement in the stock cam settings using an adjustable timing gear sprocket. Shifting the power band to pull more power earlier in the ignition cycle.
I believe the whole purpose in proper cam design for FI I believe is to prevent overlap from the intake to the exhaust. It's all a matter of using the the right combination in lift and duration of the cams. I believe shorter durations with higher lifts are preferred for most FI applications. Although some cams do justice such as the hot cam set up which is still mildly aggressive, but makes pretty good power.