General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

SR20 DET or upgrade stock internals???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 05:48 PM

SR20 DET or upgrade stock internals???

Hey ppl, Im thinking about buying a 240sx, i think their really nice cars but i want to upgrade it as soon as i can get it so im thining of buying a 240 from 91 to 93... I was thinkin a black top SR20 is like 2500$ right? well if i was planning to get a turbo upgrade anyways (guessing around 2000$), why not just rebuild the stock 2.4L with performance parts to take a turbo?? if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

depends on what you want to do with the car... if you like to rev, go SR, if you like neck snapping torque and flying straight~ $4K thrown at a KA should get you to 300-350hp easy (and yes, more than you would with the SR)
Old 11-18-2005, 06:26 PM

K thanks, that should be just about perfect cause i got about 6 500$ to spend so the car, then i guess just basic intake, exhaust, headers to start... uh should i go with hks or greddy for intake??? If i was gonna get the KA upgrades, what compression pistons should i get for optimum power?? sorry if im askin a lot of questions, its just im using this as advice for my decision.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:29 PM

If your gonna turbo the KA I wouldn't get anything that I'm just gonna have to take off when I do turbo it...i.e basic intake, headers...get the exhaust and then keep the money for other things for when do go turbo
Old 11-18-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by 240SX_Tuner
K thanks, that should be just about perfect cause i got about 6 500$ to spend so the car, then i guess just basic intake, exhaust, headers to start... uh should i go with hks or greddy for intake??? If i was gonna get the KA upgrades, what compression pistons should i get for optimum power?? sorry if im askin a lot of questions, its just im using this as advice for my decision.
If I were you I would get an ecu retune, or if you learn to tune ecu's you can get a biki rom for $300, biggest bang for you buck.
CAMS and ECU tuning show the largest gains in HP.......
Old 11-19-2005, 07:05 AM

I understand that the ECU can provide up to 10% hp gains with no mods put on, but i really dont know how to do that...and for camshafts, i might be getting the Sr20 so what cam should i get that would be adaptable for both? i dont think you can get one thats optimum power for N/A then tons more air with the sr20... I think i might stick with the KA cause im hearing that the SR20 does rev but you still need to get new rocker arms and stuff. Why buy an expensive engine just to have to upgrade it when you can rebuild the KA and have a motor with 0 KMS?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Big V is talking about getting ECU upgrades and cam upgrades for the KA. Together, they can provide more than 10% hp gains. If you don't know, then you really really need to just keep reading and learn some more until you do know. As far as I know there isn't a cam that fits both engines~ they're different engines after all.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:17 AM

KA and SR are two different engines, cams aren't swappable...you don't even know what you want and I don't want this turning into another KA vs SR thread
Old 11-19-2005, 10:54 AM

Yeah basically I was implying to build up on stock internals.
Most of you know I am a KA guy, but that doesn't mean that I don't like the SR either. SR also has it's advantages. Reason for myself going KA over SR, is just due to the fact that I can get parts at wrecking yards, and they are usually available. SR's are fun engines, but getting alot of parts that you need are usually on standby for a mail order. Just more of a convenience luxury for myself. Plus I hate the fact that SR isn't legal in Cali either. It is more of just the advantage of weighing out my options.

As time has persisted there is starting to become a pretty good aftermarket for the KA. Unlike last year, aftermarket parts were harder to get. I guess it is mostly due to the guy's in 49 other states that have been going KA-T, that have brought the larger demand for the KA after market. The after market for KA is growing and getting just as good as the SR....
Old 11-19-2005, 06:11 PM

With performance pistons, piston rings, control arms, all new valvetrain (aluminum for minimum hot spots) and any other upgrades, would the KA have the internals to become turbocharged instead of N/A??? I mean by that time, like you say bigvinnie "get the camshaft and ECU" with all new internals it should be pushing a decent number of whp. Adding a Turbo on to that should get some great numbers!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

would are you talking about 240 tuner? would the ka have internals to become turbocharged, is what you are asking. you can turbo any motor. are you asking if it will hold, depends on the state of your motor plus its tuning. that and what does control arms have to do with internals? you need to read more. do more research. with more knowledge you will have a greater understanding of what you want. then ask away.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:10 PM

sorry bottombunk i was talking about the push rods... i hear they take most of the stress anyways because of the extra air the turbo puts in... and yea i am doing more research cause i know i got a lot to learn, dont post if you dont want to im just eager to know what i should be doing to a KA or SR20 DET
Old 11-19-2005, 08:17 PM

it's up to you which route to go, if you try and turn this into KA vs SR I will close this just because that has been covered to death and there is no right or wrong answer.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by 240SX_Tuner
sorry bottombunk i was talking about the push rods... i hear they take most of the stress anyways because of the extra air the turbo puts in... and yea i am doing more research cause i know i got a lot to learn, dont post if you dont want to im just eager to know what i should be doing to a KA or SR20 DET
well what exactly do u want to get out of the setup?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
you really really need to just keep reading and learn some more until you do know.

Quick Reply: SR20 DET or upgrade stock internals???