General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Smoked stock signals

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by silviaks2nr
for the homemade red/clears I have never done it on s14, but i'm sure it would be a little more time consuming and it would involve a little more care/thought... I would love to try it if i got my hands on a pair of zenki tails. s13 fastback is as follows:

you will need a spare set of lights, some clear weather resistant silicone (black or clear), and the hardest thing to find is the prismatic lense that you can use for a new lense. finding a new lense that looks decent enough is very hard, alot of times the patterns wont match or the "squares" are too big. I used a fluorescent lamp cover that had the desired pattern and durability. these are pretty vague instructions but you should get the general idea

step one: remove teh orange lense. you can do this by baking the taillights one at a time in the oven at 250 degrees. I would reccomend covering the lenses with aluminum foil. ~10 mins watch closely

step two: remove the amber lense, run a butter knife between the lense and housing while the hot glue has softened up and slowly pry it up (It is okay to break it since you will be making a new lense)

step three: cutting a new lense. If you have an in tact amber lense you can use it as a stencil on the new clear lense material. cut with a dremel tool/ cutting wheel and sand the edges until it fits. (longest step)

step four: glue the new lense onto the housing using your silicone and hold the lense in with some masking tape. after it dries run a very thin bead around the whole lense to make sure it is fully weather proof

repeat for other side

If i ever get ahold of another set of lights i will do a write up with pics
Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

PARTI:
Supplies:
- fluroescent light cover (they have the best designs at lighting stores look for something similar too the stock pattern)
- sealant (clear or black silicone or if u can find like clear jbweld)
- an oven(or really big pot)
- dremel tool or something to cut the custom light cover with.
------------------------------------------------
If you have a big pot boil some water and place the light lense down in the water for ~5 mins. If not, preheat oven to 250F. place taillight lense up on a piece of tin foil near the bottom of the oven. let warm for ~10 15 mins (watch closeley). take out with pot holders. pry off the orange lense with a screwdriver or butter knife (slowly and make sure to "pop" the clips and screws off where the orange lense is held into the housing. if the lense breaks its not that big of a deal. Let Cool (this is I was directed to do by Spencer)
Old 11-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

you can form the new lense material with a heat gun too. as for the glue, there is this special stuff that bonds plastics to eachother i will see if i can find the name of the chemical. (we use it to "weld" plexiglass, acrylic, together and it should work in this case too.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Do i really need a spare set of lights, as long as I dont screw up the original set, and is the amber piece just a flat plastic piece? I thought there was a 'bubble' effect to it.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

no it's not flat. it's curved and has a prismatic pattern imprinted in the rear. the lense also has a ridge that fits down into the housing with the glue to keep it in place
Old 11-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet dude thanks a lot. Ima try this shizzit.