General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Sea Foam Wonders

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

oil change is coming and i wanna try this
Old 03-07-2005, 08:15 PM

NEW VIDEO SOON with other installs

oil change is coming soon so ill post a new video with the new paint job and wheels... ill do the oil change after showing off some miles when i finish installing the z32 calipers, brembo slotted rottors, and hawk pads in the front as for the rear im doing rotora (now discontinued for 5 lug SE rear) rotros, with 240sx rear hawk pads.

very excited about all the work so i gotta let every know

I hate the fact that i ordered 18x9 (with 2" lip all around) wheels so i have to roll the rear fenders cause i ordered 275 tires, and in the front i gotta buy spacers and longer wheels studs to fit the 9 inch wheel that rubs on the nissan letters of the caliper.

ill keep posting
Old 04-02-2005, 11:04 AM

hey I wonder what is in seafoam? how come it can be put in every place in car?
Old 04-02-2005, 01:53 PM

petroleum, but im not sure what else is in there.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:17 PM

^^ grandma's secret sauce maybe... ?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:09 AM

I've used in both of my cars.Works great.My s13 was just dyno-smogged a couple of weeks ago and it read cleaner than the avg by a lot. I put it in my s13 last year
Old 04-05-2005, 06:08 PM

I work at a nissan dealer and the mechanics do it to cars all the time, it works amazingly well, i drove a Max before and after, could easily tell a difference. It's funny to watch them drive around the parking lot while letting the white smoke billow out of the exhaust, i reccomend this to everyone ;D
Old 04-11-2005, 05:24 AM

i use this stuff but i don't put it in my oil any more.. cuz if your engine never leaked before it will after you use seafoam... especially your rear main seal..stuff is brutal on those... plus your oil loses its lubricity.... so having it in there for mor than maybe 3-5 minutes may be hariming yout crank and stuff.. plus you never can get it all out when you change your oil... that decresases your oil's abillity to cling things.. and how heat affects it... .. sefoam is ok to do once in an enngine's life span (in the oil) .. i would't do it more though...

it is an excellent, excellent intake, valve and injector cleaner... it is a mixture of toluene 10% and xylene 8% METHYLE ETHYL KETONE (MEK) 2% in a light oil base (kerosene) (a petroleum engineer on the mx6 site says thats what it is anyway..)

i do it a little different though...i pull a small vacume line (non ported) off . pour seafoam onto a cup .. start my engine and let it suck through the vacume line. don't submerge the line completely just slurp it off the side of the cup until it is gone... you'll have to have your hand on the throttle linkage to keep it going though.. then turn the engine off after i get it all in. let it sit for 15 minutes then start and let idl for 15 munutes then drive the **** out of it for a while.. then change oil just in case any made it past your rings... don't doo this too often though.. it is a solvent and it washes the thin oil layer off of your cylinder walls and could cause some scoring... like anything moderation is key...
Old 04-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by ol'skool
i use this stuff but i don't put it in my oil any more.. cuz if your engine never leaked before it will after you use seafoam... especially your rear main seal..stuff is brutal on those... plus your oil loses its lubricity.... so having it in there for mor than maybe 3-5 minutes may be hariming yout crank and stuff.. plus you never can get it all out when you change your oil... that decresases your oil's abillity to cling things.. and how heat affects it... .. sefoam is ok to do once in an enngine's life span (in the oil) .. i would't do it more though...
I just bought some but have been scared to use it on my 135k mile stock SOHC KA since I have no leaks as of right now *knocks on wood*! But I did plan to use it in the brake booster and gas tank. You say let it set for 15 minutes and some say 5 minutes?! How much did you feed into the brake booster, I have read 1/3 of the can?! And did you use in any your gas tank? And lastly even though im not using it in my motor oil, you think it is key to change my oil after running it through my vacumn line? I just did my oil change! Thanks!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:23 PM

i use half a can in my tank and half through a small vacume line not the brake booster i dont think it will run with that big of a vacuum leak use another one off of the manifold just make sure it has constan vacume... you can get away with it but if you didn't use synthetic really it doesn't cost that much to be safe... don't worriy about the filter tho...
Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by ol'skool
i use half a can in my tank and half through a small vacume line not the brake booster i dont think it will run with that big of a vacuum leak use another one off of the manifold just make sure it has constan vacume... you can get away with it but if you didn't use synthetic really it doesn't cost that much to be safe... don't worriy about the filter tho...
Ok thanks for the reply. I will look for another vacumn line. You know of a good specific one on the SOHC? Thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 03:59 AM

not really .. i just got this car and haven't really dug into it yet...
Old 04-13-2005, 12:06 PM

hmm i recently talked to my uncle about running the seafoam thru the vacuum line suggested and he advised me not to do it saying theres the possibility of hydrolocking the engine, i kinda took his suggestion seeing as hes been a mechanic for over half his life. after wards he suggested just putting a full bottle in the tank.
any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Mika
hmm i recently talked to my uncle about running the seafoam thru the vacuum line suggested and he advised me not to do it saying theres the possibility of hydrolocking the engine, i kinda took his suggestion seeing as hes been a mechanic for over half his life. after wards he suggested just putting a full bottle in the tank.
any thoughts?
I have heard alot of good stuff about the product, but im not going to attempt to put it in my crankcase of my 140k mile KA even though its in great condition and doesnt have any leaks. Just as they say about changing the tranny fluid when the tranny is on the last leg of its life, that old tranny fluid is probably keeping it together just as i dont want to give my motor a bath! But im definitley going to pour some seafoam in my gas tank in my 240 and corolla?! Hopefully it helps with something. But I have heard pouring it into an empty gas tank? On the fuel injector cleaner it says to pour it into a FULL tank? Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2005, 01:04 PM

I'm about to use this on my zenki and I've used it before on my 97 maxima. I've never put it in the oil but vacuum line and fuel tank work awesome. I was worried about hydro locking the engine when I first did it but it's petrolium based, it's designed to be completely combustable so I wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Sea Foam Wonders