General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

S14 for sale......anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:24 PM

RB Series Motors

Iron block, Inline 6 turbo, strong, reliable, and some of the best damn sounds your ears will ever hear. The RB's have that "cool" factor. I know i would like to answer "Its a skyline motor." You're an instant cool person :thumbsup . So lets get down to it. First off there are 3 RB swaps that are known to be done( Im excluding the RB30 hybrid as it is a rare swap).

RB20DET

OK, this motor is a common choice among RB enthusiasts. This is the expection of the list order. It is cheaper than the S13 SR20. 2.0L single turbo, pretty rev happy and again, the cheapest way to say "I have a skyline motor". Your butt dyno should read about 210ps (what, like 207hp i guess). The problems with this and all the RB motors is that aftermarket and spare parts aren't quite up to the SR for the US market. You can always pay out the *** for uber cool JDM stuff though. Internals here are strong can take a good beating past 300hp. Jumping into the RB realm requies alot more know how for the DIY swappers. You don't NEED custom mounts or driveshaft, the KA driveshaft and R32 crossmember work fine, but its always nice to have a better aligned motor if you get mouts and a drive shaft.

RB20 specific site: www.rb20det.com

RB25DET

Pretty isnt it, no yours wont come with the shiny red valve cover so keep saving thoes pennies for a nice powercoat job. This and the RB20 are the usual choice of people who do RB swaps. The RB25 is a 2.5L straight 6 single turbo. Its got more power than the RB20 cheking in at 250ps ( again somthing like 246hp). Stepping up your swap skills is on the to-do list for this one. As far as install goes, you do not need custom mounts, the stock crossmember bolts up fine, if you re-drill it about 1" back for the motor mounts, their are no clearance problems except the hood, and the shifter is centered. A mount kit is still the best way to go if you are willing to pay up. www.mckinneymotorsports.com their site is goofy right now but you can get their number there.

Another good site www.rb25det.org

RB26DETT aka the godzilla motor

This RB26 is far from stock i just had to use this pic because its the sexiest engine bay ive ever seen.

This is the god motor. Its used in the old Skyline JGTC cars for a reason. The RB26 is basically a detuned race engine. It was actually designed for race use more than street use. It is the most cabable RB motor that rolled out of the nissan line up. Although this all sounds great, its also the most expensive. You need an RB25 transmission to use with the RB26 if you don't want to hammer away at your trans tunnel. Installation is also the most difficult of the RB motors so you better know your ****. The swap has some very invoved work: modding an RB25 oil pan or making a custom one, mounts, drive shaft, crazy wiring, clearance issues with twin turbo setup ( many people switch to single), and many other things, i have seen quite a few people on this forum and others who have attemped the swap and simply gave up. this swap is still the ****

And for all the good stuff about specs and whatnot...
http://www.meggala.com/nissanrb3css.htm
http://www.gt-skyline.net/

A great new forum for all the RB motors is here: www.racebread.com

KA24DE-T

Turbo KA24s can make very reliable power with little effort and some know how. This isn't going to be for the novice 240sx enthusiast unless you buy a bolt-on kit and take it somewhere.

Parts for a KA24 DIY Kit
Turbo Manifold (matched to your turbos flange)
Turbo, of course :gaylaugh
Custom downpipe or possibly sr20 downpipes
Custom hot and cold pipes
Intercooler
BOV
Wastegate(unless your turbo is internally gated)
Upgraded Fuel pump
Upgraded Injectors
Some type of Fuel Controller
EGT Gauge (recommended)
WIDEBAND o2 (recommended)
New Clutch (recommended)

So there you have the basic parts you need to boost your KA. The biggest downside in my opinion is the lack of boost the KA can take in its stock form, but if your just looking for some fun 7psi on a SR20 t25 will make more than enough "fun" for you. There are a few comapnies that make BOLT ON kits for our cars (Edit: I dont even think Boost designs is still in busness. There was so many issues involving them, incomplete parts, **** aprts, poor designs, scams etc...). GREDDY makes a bolt-on kit for OBII or s14 KA24DE so that is an option for you s14 KA owners out there. NOW, if you want to go big power on your KA you have some options but all require a rebuild of the bottom end with some forged internals and a headgasket upgrade. Some of the SR parts are also with KA-T's. There are alot of companies that make good parts for your KA and all that info is just 1 search on GOOGLE away but ill help you get started.

Resourceful Websites
www.ka24de.com
www.KA-T.org
www.turbo240.com
Jimmy
KA-T Write-up courtesy of the user: TwoFortySx

So, What To Get-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you have some idea what the hell your getting into, you should have a better base to make the decision on what you want to get. For all you people that ask questions like what motor is better for drifting, shut up and do your suspension first before you crash your new pretty motor swap. Set up your suspension right and any of the motors are game. But, the logical choice would be one of the 4 bangers for weight and weight distribution reasons. If the name of your game is purly power, the RB25 and 26 are for you, but then again you can make alot of power with any of them, but thats a different story, so go bug zilvia or somthing about that. Now I can guarentee you any question you have has been answered so dont be lazy, use the search button.

Where to get your motor, clip or motorset----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the most important step of a swap, if you get some peice of junk off ebay because its cheap, nobody is going to feel sorry for you if it goes boom, or cant even run to go boom. In the car world, yes there are deals out there but for the most part YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! Whether you get a clip or a motorset is really up to you. A Clip is obviously going to be more expensive but your going to get absolutly everything you need and somtimes some extra goodies. Getting a complete motorset is more practical and is just as good while costing less. Projecting prices for motors swaps is really kind of useless. There are way to many variables. Where you get the motor from, its condition, miles, what you get with it, cost of replacing any parts, if you have it installed etc... rather than just throw some figure out in the open, check out the links. You can find the cost of the motors any just about any aftermarket parts you want. Use your kindergarden addition skills and you have your self a number. A couple good, reliable names in the business to get motors from...
www.jarcoinc.com
www.srswap.com
www.phase2motortend.com
www.jhotexports.com
www.jspec.com

KA-T section courtesy of TwoFortySX

Last edited by Bryan; 06-19-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:58 PM

jsut go with the sr20 blacktop
Old 06-20-2006, 03:36 PM

ya know, thats a lot of info....sumone should trim the useless posts, change the subject, and sticky this....
Old 06-20-2006, 04:06 PM

I'll do it after work unless another mod comes along and does it first.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by s13 240
Let me start off by saying that, if your looking into making a street legal racecar, then stop looking for a Silvia s14. A real Silvia is not street legal in the United States ANYWHERE! Even if you would import one, you can not drive it on public roads.
I know your a moderator, but I could care less. I'm tired of people saying you cant do this and you cant do that when you CAN. I have numerous friends that drive JDM S14's and JDM S15's and JDM Skylines from R32-R34 and JDM Soarers on US SOIL! Sure they get pulled over all the time because curiousity killed the cop, but hey, they have all papers and insurance, so they are set free and most of the time complimented to by the cop that pulls them over. I've been with them on the highway and been with them when they've gotten pulled over. I may be buying one of their S14's soon enough. Dont go discouraging people when you dont know what can and can't be done, your not the law. Where there's a will, there's a way, and not to mention numerous backdoors and loopholes to go through. Just like the news, dont believe everything you here. If someone can afford it, dont discourage them when you dont know the facts or maybe your just jealous. Tired of this garbage...
Old 07-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by S14Dorikin
I know your a moderator, but I could care less. I'm tired of people saying you cant do this and you cant do that when you CAN. I have numerous friends that drive JDM S14's and JDM S15's and JDM Skylines from R32-R34 and JDM Soarers on US SOIL! Sure they get pulled over all the time because curiousity killed the cop, but hey, they have all papers and insurance, so they are set free and most of the time complimented to by the cop that pulls them over. I've been with them on the highway and been with them when they've gotten pulled over. I may be buying one of their S14's soon enough. Dont go discouraging people when you dont know what can and can't be done, your not the law. Where there's a will, there's a way, and not to mention numerous backdoors and loopholes to go through. Just like the news, dont believe everything you here. If someone can afford it, dont discourage them when you dont know the facts or maybe your just jealous. Tired of this garbage...
well if you can do it then do it more power to you. until then quit talking about it and go raise your self esteem by actually doing it. prove whoever you want wrong
Old 07-02-2006, 01:38 PM

Suuuuure, whatever you say man. It is illegal in the US to import those cars due to them not meeting safety and emission requirements. You CAN get away with it, but in the end it is not legal. Some places may not care, but if your driving something like that in Cali and it is not legal, your car is getting crushed.

Also, why import an s14 or s13 when you can get a 240sx and do a swap and it will be cheaper than importing the stock JDM car. So have fun driving your JDM dorifto vehicle that I can buy an american equivalent of for half of what you would pay, so I'm definitely not jealous. Have a great day.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:19 PM

Well if my state doesn't care thats their problem. We've been pulled over and got nothing on us, thats all I'm saying. If you live somewhere they dont allow it, oh well, sux for you. But I see S15's, I see skylines, I see all these cars on the street and no, these cars legalized not much more expensive than a modded usdm 240, sumtimes cheaper. Come down to miami or west palm beach or orlando and check them out.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 AM

um i thought sumone was gonna sticky this? useful info ya know
Old 07-12-2006, 12:26 AM

o and i have another question... did Nissan not produce a Skyline GTS with a 6-spd tranny? idk whos heard of em but Ride Revolutions will be doing my swap when i get the money, found out they have an ex-Signal guy heading the shop stuff....helped on the signal skyline .... sweeet lol. but yea im either gonna have to go with the S15 motor with the 6 spd tranny, or find a RWD six spd tranny. Would a 6-spd tranny out of a 350Z fit in a 96 240? I dont understand why a GTR tranny wouldnt work, seeing as how they disabled the front driveshaft for the skyline in 2 Fast 2 Furious so they could drift it. so I dont get it? wouldnt not having the front driveshaft be the exact same thing?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 AM

my bad , i just saw where it was reposted in the FAQ section, hadn't been over there in a while. lol
Old 07-12-2006, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by NismoSX
um i thought sumone was gonna sticky this? useful info ya know
Hey, I may be a little slow at getting it stickied but I got it up
Old 07-12-2006, 08:43 PM

lol. so could neone answer this for me? why cant you use a GTR tranny in a 240 swap? same engine.... and dont give me the no front driveshaft B/S, the skyline from 2F2F had its front driveshaft removed and it had no problem keeping the GTR tranny....so please, if neone knows, do tell.