General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

s14 240sx header issue leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:21 AM

s14 240sx header issue leak?

I have an s14 and recently i was fixing the sticky throttle with some carb cleaner spraying it in the intake manifold. it fixed the problem but as i was doing it something bad happened...

smoke started comming from the lower part of the header. below the o2 sensor.

it is proportional to how much throttle i give it. and usually starts after the engine is somewhat warm. not completely cold.
there is a hose going into what appears to be the lower back engine side of the header and i wasnt sure what that was. it looks like something is just dripping constantly on the header and evaporating but i dont see anything dripping i just see smoke (smoke not steam)

it is not burning coolant, oil im not sure but i dont believe it is burning oil either, very very very minor oil leaks to the point where it doesnt drip when i park it a few days.

there is no overheating at all, and very slight dripage of water *not coolant* (i tasted it... its water) comming out of the exaust pipes.

if anyone has seen anything like this plz share cuz im really scratching my head... my first instinct was the head gasket but im not loosing any coolant from what i see... i idled the car for about 3 hours this weekend and all temps and fluids all checked out good and there is no loss of power either.

when smoke comes from under the hood... it worries me very much so...
Old 01-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

maybe the AC evap coil drain blocked and draining elsewhere?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:22 PM

im not too farmiliar with ac units. but i can see that possibly causing it. its not a strong smoke smell its more of a mix of smoke and steam smelling... i dunno it smells like exaust a little. ill lookup what the ac units look like on 240's and see if that could cause the prob
Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

hmm try cleaning out the drain from the ac under the car.
and btw not a good idea to taste any car liquid it can make you go or worse lol. btw u can tell if its coolant because of the strong coolant smell water dosnt smell the same
Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 PM

where is the drain for the ac? and is it anywhere near the lower part of the headers?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:43 PM

naw

Originally posted by battosaii930
hmm try cleaning out the drain from the ac under the car.
and btw not a good idea to taste any car liquid it can make you go or worse lol. btw u can tell if its coolant because of the strong coolant smell water dosnt smell the same
the drain is on the opposite side of the headers
Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 PM

hm. ill take a look at it but i dont see how it could be dripping on the headers making smoke come out... there is no smoke comming from the intake manifold side just comming off the exaust side area. i dunno im not too worried about it. im going to do an engine swap over the summer i just need to make sure nothing serious is wrong for about 3 months