General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

S13 v. S14

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by BigVinnie
What ever.... Atleast I'm not throwing a tempure tantrum....... I think I have seen the light.......J/K
Look how much was accomplished without my name calling and vicous attacks.....LOL

I will make a note though those front and rear crunch zones really fuc$ up the s14 in slow a$$ colisions.....
I'm not the one throwing not throwing a temper tantrum. I do recall you making a smart *** comment towards me in an earlier post:

First I am assumming that you are a sarcastic *****.... I'm just going to ignore that comment. You just made my post 1805...LOL
In any case Raine just pointed out a PRESS RELEASE stating that the s14 is in fact stiffer than the s13 so you just got PWNED.

If he didn't point that FACT out I have a strong feeling that you wouldn't have stopped this "discussion."

Anyways, no big deal.

Last edited by doriftomodachi; 12-09-2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

LOL no big deal, yet you had to type that response hahaha
Old 12-09-2005, 06:25 PM

Just adding to my aggrevated ill tempured fire.....
I am taking anger management i guess it is somewhat working.....
Oh well, I'de rather have a lighter car than a heavier car......
Who gives a shiat, 240love........
Old 12-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
stock for stock the S14 chassis is an evolved version of the S14 chassis
Originally posted by l2aine

No offense to S13 drivers, because I own an S14 but I like the S13 - but anyone trading in their S13 for an S14 is downgrading.
???
Old 12-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Corrected the first one... but the second one isn't a typo - let me reword it:

I own an S14, but I like the S13 - but no offense to S13 drivers: trading an S14 to get an S13 is downgrading

better? =P
Old 12-10-2005, 09:01 AM
aay

In a modest attempt to keep this post focused on the thread title, I think I'd rather have an S14 if I could - they would be newer, hopefully in better shape (how many completely trashed and abused S13s have you seen out there?), and be a little more comfortable to ride in. On the other hand, if I bumped into a a pristine example of an S13...

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
aay definitely gets an award for most knowledgeable new-person-to-the-forum (LoL) hope you stick around and preach on some more.
Thank you, but I'm not really knowledgeable. I just know how to act it . I'll lurk for as long as I have a 240SX...

What ever.... Atleast I'm not throwing a tempure tantrum....... I think I have seen the light.......J/K
Look how much was accomplished without my name calling and vicous attacks.....LOL
I looked back and it struck me that I was being a bit harsh in my posts to you. I apologise - I'm down with the flu, the weather here's lousy and my car was away from me for almost a whole week. I'll try to be nicer in the future .
Old 12-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by dak2007
13s are better because there is nothing sexxxier then a fastback.
Agreed, and that settles it IMO..

Also, the s13 was just pimp. My choices for 240s would go like this

1) Black kouki s14
2) black or white s13 fastback
3) red s13 convertible (cuz ladies love the convertibles)
4) black s13 coupe
5) never an s14 zenki... they are too girly lookin... sorry to say, but yeah, they look like toyota camry's, which are grandma cars
Old 12-11-2005, 06:38 PM

[i] never an s14 zenki... they are too girly lookin... sorry to say, but yeah, they look like toyota camry's, which are grandma cars [/B]
looks are not everything...........but to some people it is.......i guess ill just smile at you rice people when i boost past you.....but thats just my thought's.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:32 AM

s14 Zenki IMO has the best "flow" of the 240s. I think the kouki lights just don't follow the subtle curves of the body. the just kind of ...drop.

s14 Zenki
s13 Coupe
s14 Kouki
hatch-no thanks
Old 12-12-2005, 06:18 AM

My question to you guys is how is ADDING weight to a sports coupe chassis any advantage in motox, or drifting, just to strengthen an already strong chassis?
I mean really why do people buy datsun 510's? There over 30 year old cars that people still drive to this day for there super light chassis.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

1. Fastbacks look like Probes~ or fat versions of the old eclipse

2. The backs of the coupes look like Stanza's

3. and Kouki's look like... something else.

ZenkiOwns
damn straight...

My question to you guys is how is ADDING weight to a sports coupe chassis any advantage in motox, or drifting, just to strengthen an already strong chassis?
I mean really why do people buy datsun 510's? There over 30 year old cars that people still drive to this day for there super light chassis.
I don't know exactly but I've always wondered about this myself. My thinking is that the extra weight in a close to two ton Skyline helps to keep it more stable at speed as compared to a Lotus Elise. Now this is with the absence of highly tuned suspension and aerodynamics. Nobody's going to argue that a F1 car with less than a third of the weight of the Skyline is going to be less stable at speed, but I don't know if an Elise would fair well in comparison on a road course with fast curves and straights.

In autoX and drifting I would think light-weight would be better~ but to a degree. I also think it would depend a lot on the car's setup. Wouldn't it make sense that a car that is a lot lighter be prone to oversteer at lower limits of adhesion? [think miata versus a mustang] But wouldn't that also require driver inputs to be even faster and more sensitive to the car's handling? So it would be harder, require more skill to drive the lighter car... My best guess would be that a better balanced chassis from the get go will give you the best platform to build upon. As for 510's, I'd pick one up in a minute if I could find one in good condition with about as much effort as it would take to find a S14 in good condition. Availability of parts and information would kind of have to weigh in to the whole equation too though...

umm... yeah, that's just what I think. Somebody else more knowledgeable can come enlighten me if I'm just wrong.

Last edited by CowboyTurbo; 12-12-2005 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie My question to you guys is how is ADDING weight to a sports coupe chassis any advantage in motox, or drifting, just to strengthen an already strong chassis?
Have you ever been in a situation where you had to actually add ballast in a car to get more stability at speed? That's the same as adding weight, and it helped us when we had to do it.

Bringing up the 510 is going off the subject and is pointless in this thread. People who run 510's usually drop in a KA24 and get the advantage by upping motor size. That's power-to-weight they are utilizing. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with chassis stiffness.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:54 PM
aay

The addition of weight to the car is likely a consequence of adding strength. How can one say that the S13 is strong enough? Many have reported handling improvements with the addition of strut bars, braces (i.e. the Nismo power brace) and the like; isn't that a sign that the base design of the S13 is not stiff enough?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:38 PM

An example of a heavyweight good handling car would be the e46 m3 or new m6. they are both heavy (especially the m6) but stock for stock they will both outhandle any 240sx.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by LA_phantom_240
Agreed, and that settles it IMO..

Also, the s13 was just pimp. My choices for 240s would go like this

1) Black kouki s14
2) black or white s13 fastback
3) red s13 convertible (cuz ladies love the convertibles)
4) black s13 coupe
5) never an s14 zenki... they are too girly lookin... sorry to say, but yeah, they look like toyota camry's, which are grandma cars
S13's aren't pimp. They are a dime a dozen these days. Well, a clean s13 might be. S14's are definitely pimp because they are rare. A clean zenki is a very rare thing these days. A clean kouki even more so. BTW my s14 doesn't look like a grandma car. It sure doesn't handle like one either.

Quick Reply: S13 v. S14