General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Replacing Valve Stem Seals?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:06 PM

Replacing Valve Stem Seals?!?!

Hi, I think I need to replace my valve stem seals and this is why. When I let my car idle for a few seconds and then give it gas a puff of smoke comes out of my exhaust. Well it started as a puff and now I guess you could call it a plume. Anyways, there is no smoke while driving or at WOT. So I do not think it is rings. Smoke looks just like burned oil but has a 'gassy' smell. Does this sound like valve stem seals? And if so, has anyone here changed them before. I was thinking that i will problably need a special tool to keep the valves from falling in the cylinders. And is there any other tips you might have?

Any advice would be appreciated. Or maybe i would be better off taking it to a shop, but i would much much rather do it myself, considering I could probably buy a good working head for the same price a shop would charge me to fix it.

Anyways, thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:04 PM

well first off if you think it is your valve stem seals then you would basically have to take off the head to do any work to it such as that cause you have to remove the valve springs... and last i checked there isn't such a tool to hold the valves in place... but in order to use the tool to compress the valve springs you have to have the head off so unless you have these tools you would have to take it to a shop .... or try and find another motor with maybe less miles... swap then rebuild your orginal motor for the future.... as far as the rings go it could be your rings but like you already said at wot and etc it doesn't smoke so your rings should be okay for now.... hope my 2 cents helps good luck
Erik