General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

rattle from under the valve cover...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Rattle under the valve cover

Originally posted by ironb12s
I had the same thing last week. 1991 240SX, 169K+. Removed the valve cover and found that the top chain guide was sheered off at the bolts. Now, I'm in the middle of replacing the complete timing set, and the dealer informed me that the top guide has been obsoleted.

My primary question relates to the lower cover and its removal. I've got everything out of the way, all of the bolts removed and it still feels like it's bolted in at the bottom. The FSM shows an illustration of the oil pump bolted to the inside of the bottom cover driven by the crankshaft, indicating that removal of the oil pan is mandatory. Am I correct? BTW, you can remove the damper bolt without pneumatics, but it requires someone standing on the wrench handle and hopping on it. :-D

I've done many timing sets on other vehicles, and this is the first requiring complete removal of the oil pan. Just let me know if this is in fact the case, so I can proceed on the correct course of action.
To do the whole timing set you do have to unbolt the oilpan to get the lower cover off... but at 169k I can't see why you'd have to do the whole thing (not just the guide removal) since I"m on 192k but I guess it depends on each engine.

The upper guide is obsolete and also the upper right side guide can be removed. Although the upper guide is usually the cause of the rattling noise, the right side guide will do it to in time. You can eliminate both upper guides, as the upper tensioner will hold the chain in place as it's meant to.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:04 AM

Wish I'd found this site before I started the job. I've already broken the seal of the lower cover, so I'm up for the full monty, I suppose. Off to get the jack and stands, then... Other jobs with timing sets were in the low 100's, you see. THX for the confirmation, be back once my MOFW is roadable again.