General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

rattle from under the valve cover...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 PM

rattle from under the valve cover...

ok I just got my 240 today and I have been driving all day and this evening when me and my friend where comparing out cars (he has a base dodge stealth) and listening to the difference in sound we head a rattle coming from under the valve cover but not valve rattle/tic is this common or has anybody had the same rattle and fixed it?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:05 PM

i would think it is your timing chain, 90% of the time it is, go to this website Timing Chain and it tells you how to fix it....read it....i just fixed my timing chain a few months ago, and thats the website that told my how to step by step to do it.....good luck you Newbie .............
Old 09-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

damn newbies! it's most likely the timing chain, it's a common problem on 240's
Old 09-09-2005, 08:35 AM

how soon should a timingchain be replaced?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

sooner the better... not a huge rush though
Old 09-09-2005, 11:13 AM

the rattling is not the timing chain itself but the upper timing chain guide, it's not going to destroy the engine if you leave it, but the rattling may drive you nuts so just take it out when you have free time on the weekend or something
Old 09-12-2005, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by s13 240
the rattling is not the timing chain itself but the upper timing chain guide, it's not going to destroy the engine if you leave it, but the rattling may drive you nuts so just take it out when you have free time on the weekend or something
^^^^^Yes, thats what i was trying to say....sorry, i forgot he was a newbie......
Old 10-12-2005, 01:01 AM

Location: In a dumpster next to a internet cafe.So im here all day folks from 8am to 12pm
I would assume you have a squirrel underneath your engine.... possibly in your turbo.... Do you hear any loud squeaks when your turbo spools? Have you noticed any acorns being discharged at high rates of speed from your exhaust? It happened to me once i just sprayed a bunch of raid in the engine bay... it caught on fire but it killed that ****ing squirrel good
Old 10-12-2005, 02:23 AM

I'm just curious as to WHY nobody posted this link up when I was asking my questions?? I mentioned the rattling several times, but I guess that got ignored. Or I don't have ****.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Purple240
I'm just curious as to WHY nobody posted this link up when I was asking my questions?? I mentioned the rattling several times, but I guess that got ignored. Or I don't have ****.

And how do we know you don't have manboobs? NO we do NOT want proof! LOL jk
Old 10-12-2005, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by Purple240
I believe this was posted in your thread about the rattling.

Originally posted by re037
hmm, rattling noise might be timing chain guides. hopefully it hasnt broken off. if not valve tap perhaps?

you might have dirty/clogged injectors, so try some seafoam in the gas tank if you havent done so already. not sure how to test if injectors are capable of flowing good.

any other clues/symptoms?
and since this thread was posted about a month before the thread where you asked about the rattling, a simple search should have brought this thread up.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:26 PM

Sorry, not trying to be an *** and all... but nobody posted that piticular link. I would not have asked more questions about it if it was posted. It's a great source.

BTW, ewwww manboobs. None on me.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

like s13 240 had said, if you had done a little searching, this thread would've came up and you would have seen the link. Look at the dates of the posts on this thread and look at the date on the thread you have. First post on this was 9-08-2005. You posted your question on 10-11-2005.
A little bit of searching got me those answers.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by MR240^_^doriftU
I would assume you have a squirrel underneath your engine.... possibly in your turbo.... Do you hear any loud squeaks when your turbo spools? Have you noticed any acorns being discharged at high rates of speed from your exhaust? It happened to me once i just sprayed a bunch of raid in the engine bay... it caught on fire but it killed that ****ing squirrel good
LOL your assumption (not to mention that pointless post) just made you look like an *** hahaha!

I was gonna do the "go to my url" thing but driftingjdm240 already did it for me.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:18 PM

Cool Rattle under the valve cover

I had the same thing last week. 1991 240SX, 169K+. Removed the valve cover and found that the top chain guide was sheered off at the bolts. Now, I'm in the middle of replacing the complete timing set, and the dealer informed me that the top guide has been obsoleted.

My primary question relates to the lower cover and its removal. I've got everything out of the way, all of the bolts removed and it still feels like it's bolted in at the bottom. The FSM shows an illustration of the oil pump bolted to the inside of the bottom cover driven by the crankshaft, indicating that removal of the oil pan is mandatory. Am I correct? BTW, you can remove the damper bolt without pneumatics, but it requires someone standing on the wrench handle and hopping on it. :-D

I've done many timing sets on other vehicles, and this is the first requiring complete removal of the oil pan. Just let me know if this is in fact the case, so I can proceed on the correct course of action.

Quick Reply: rattle from under the valve cover...