General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

need you opinion on a bad subject

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 06:50 AM

need you opinion on a bad subject

well.... let me tell you about my 240sx experiences so far.... ive owned my 240 for a little over a month now and its been disabled more than drivable.. first i couldn't drive it cause it wasn't registered than 4 days after i got it registered the slave cylinder went which threw off my whole system and the clutch also went as well..... that was fixed ($811.90) and then my car was making a noise... i fixed that... and now last night i was driving my car and the cable connected to the gas pedal disconnected as i was driving.... now i got the cable connected again, but the pedal is a little loose still... like theres a gap between when i start to push it down and when it actually starts to pull on the cable.... (if any one knows how to fix this i would appreciate the info...) so to sum it up i have had NOTHING but PROBLEMS... not to mention im waiting for my tie rods to break... they are on their last leg...

so here is the question....

apparently whoever had the car before me didn't treat it like it should have been treated.... im thinking about changing basically EVERYTHING in my car.. from engine to suspension to anything else that could have possibly been mistreated... the first thing i am going to do (if i decide to rebuild the car) is drop a newer better engine in... the engine is running ok but i cant tell if theres any other problems im going to run into... im thinking about throwing a KA24DE in (i don't have the money to dream about sr20s or rb25s and all those goodies) now i live in NJ and i don't have the facilities to do the swap myself.... does any one know of a shop around here to do the swap? how much do they charge? and should i even worry about it?

thanks for listening to my sob stories and i hope some one out there can help me haha ^-^
Old 02-06-2004, 08:00 AM

That seems to be a growing problem with 240's kids getting one and thinking its a mean a$$ drifting machine. And bassically running it into the grownd. It is very hard to find one in my area thats adult driven or taken care of.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:19 AM

Yeah, most kids with 240sxs look in their import tuner or superstreet magazine and see all those 180sx, silvias, and 240sxs drifting around like it's nothing. They think that they can just go out and do it and not have anything go wrong with it. I was lucky to get my coupe from a 65-70 year old man. I was expecting to see grim and gunk under the hood when i popped it at his house, it was spotless. He said he clean the car twice a week top to bottom. It was his pride and joy. Within the first week of having my hatchback the radiator, headgasket, clutch, and tierod went out. It actually motivated me to get some cool new stuff haha!

I don't know really about the pedal problem, because i have not came across it yet. all i have to say is good luck
Old 02-06-2004, 09:16 AM

yeah you just never know.... if i wasn't a high schooler going to college i might save up for an sr but its just not reallistic..... but i could probably get a KA with the money i got now... and then i can build that up any way i want peice by peice.... and yeah my pedal.... haven't gotten to look at it again b/c of the rain.... damn rain.....
Old 02-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

it sounds like the poor beast was beat half to death. as for the pedal thing, i'm clueless. i know that u can adjust the clutch pedal, but i'm not sure about the accelerator. however, i do know that u can adjust the slack in the throttle cable (which i'm sure u already knew).

while it seems like u have a lotta problems w/the car, it also presents an awesome opportunity for upgrades. provided that the body and frame aren't rusted to death or badly damaged, u can put all brand-spankin-new parts in her and have a righteous ride. i would only say that it wouldn't be worth it if the cost of just getting it driveable was outrageous. in that case, u'd do better just getting another car. i hope that somehow made sense.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:33 PM

there has to be a tightening bolt somewhere either in the engine bay or on the pedal?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:46 PM

Adjust the cable at the throttle body. I have had it stick a couple of times, the idle would be @ 2000 rpms. I adjusted the cable, got it unstuck, then have slack in the pedal. then take more slack out of the throttle cable until it is tight.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:56 PM

I believe the correct way to adjust it is to tighten it until it moves the throttle drum, then loosen it 2 turns.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:50 AM

i tried tightening it and the engine started to rev up before it got tight on the pedal... i'll try again later and i'll see what i can do.. and as for the body and frame..... the only thing wrong with the body is it has a quarter size dent on the passengers side door and a couple little scratches here and there.... im not going to junk it just b/c the times i have driven the car have been fun as hell.... no i just gotta make it so i don't have to worry about it when i drive away to college
Old 02-07-2004, 04:05 PM

I've had problems with my 240 since i got it too!!! I havent drove it since I bought it a year and a half ago. Well, what I did was replace everything!!! rebuild motor, got everything new in the engine bay and now the final deal, putting in a tranny (after the one I had was destroyed by a towing truck towing my 240 from the front).

you gotta also understand that it might not be some kid drifting it since 1989, but just that wear and tear and its time to change things.

I feel you on spending more money then expected. I also feel you on the car sitting around (1.5 years since I got it).

Good luck man.

http://members.fortunecity.com/driftkaztik
Old 02-08-2004, 07:36 AM

yeah thanks..... im guessing since no one said any thing they don't know of any places in NJ to get the engine at or any thing... ha ha