General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

My engine codes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 03:14 AM

My engine codes...

Ok, so I was tooling around at the parts store the other day, picking up parts for one of my Mustangs, and decided to have them pull my ECU codes, and tell me if for 100% I have OBDII.

I have OBDII.

My codes...

DTC (Codes):

P0400 - EGR Flow Malfunction

P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction, bank 1 or 1 sensor
Help me with this one guys?

P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency Below threshold Bank 1
Can this be because of the knock sensor? Or is the first cat just shot?

P0705 - Trans Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)
Uh.. WTF... btw, car is a oem 5-speed.

DTC Pending (Codes)

None - No Faults Detected

This car is the first experience I've really got with OBD, so anyone who can tell me exactly how to fix these specific problems, feel free to chime in.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:37 PM

uhh...i would just reset the ecu, then see which ones come back on and go from there
Old 01-24-2006, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by barcode
uhh...i would just reset the ecu, then see which ones come back on and go from there
You ****ing idiot. I want to FIX the engine codes, not just turn the light off and wait for it to come back on.

You have about as much sense as a creek rock. Nothing informative to say, don't even reply. I know and understand how to work on a cars, as I have been doing this for around 15 years. This although is the only Nissan I have ever owned, and want to fix the job correctly.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Purple240
You ****ing idiot. I want to FIX the engine codes, not just turn the light off and wait for it to come back on.

You have about as much sense as a creek rock. Nothing informative to say, don't even reply. I know and understand how to work on a cars, as I have been doing this for around 15 years. This although is the only Nissan I have ever owned, and want to fix the job correctly.
you've been fixing cars for 15 years and you dont know how to get a new egr valve or get a new cat? damn, who's the ****ing idiot now?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:39 AM

I am a Ford guy. This is the second Import I've ever owned. I have always owned domestic cars, and none of them have ever been OBD cars either. All of my cars have been SD or EEC-IV cars, with twice as many cylinders.

And the two imports I own, I bought last year.

This Nissan is a total work in progress. I know where everything is located and how to change it all out. But more of what I am looking for are tips/tricks as to easy and fast installs of new parts. Cause with a lot of imports, some parts bolts are quite difficult to get to.

k. thx. bye.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:30 PM

Calm down guys. As far as your problems go.. the codes look like they're from an OBDII Ecu. I would first go to a dealer and see if a Drive Cycle reset would clear all the codes. I believe the dealer also does free diagnosis. I know this didn't help much, but my CEL is on, and a lot of my emissions equipment arent working, so i'm going into my Nissan Dealer tomorrow morning to have my Drive Cycle reset. I installed an intake, and for some reason, I guess this throws the ECU off.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:43 PM

P0705 on a manual trans car is actually for the neutral position switch on the trans. According to the FSM that code is set when the ECU doesn't detect a signal from it occasionally.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:57 AM

Ah hah. Might have to just swap out the NSS to see if that stops.

Yea, the car is 100% obdII.

The knock sensor, a friend has a spare one and a very skinny arm so hes going to swap it out for me.

The catalyst I'm still not 100% sure on what is causing that. Could be injector, could be my cat.

The EGR flow, I have determined that its just old and shot. Any way to get the EGR off w/o pulling the intake off? It looks like its a double diaphram setup, and one of the bolts is under one of the intake runners
Old 01-29-2006, 11:10 AM

What I was saying you jackass, is to reset the ECU and see which codes come back on because sometimes codes can be triggered without anything actually being wrong, Some one that has been working on cars for that long should know that, then after you drive it for a while see what codes come back on, so you dont waste your money fixing stuff that isnt really wrong with your car.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:19 PM
KFL

Originally posted by Purple240
Ah hah. Might have to just swap out the NSS to see if that stops.

Yea, the car is 100% obdII.

The knock sensor, a friend has a spare one and a very skinny arm so hes going to swap it out for me.

The catalyst I'm still not 100% sure on what is causing that. Could be injector, could be my cat.

The EGR flow, I have determined that its just old and shot. Any way to get the EGR off w/o pulling the intake off? It looks like its a double diaphram setup, and one of the bolts is under one of the intake runners
Have you seen the location of the knock sensor? It is burried underneath the intake manifold runners, on the side of the block.
Have to get a swivel joint for a socket and hope for the best. It's a PITA to remove..also that may be also causing the cat code. Knock sensor will retard timing if its malfunctioning. I would also check the spark plugs to see the condition if run for a while they will foul.
EGR malfunction could just either be a hose with a tear,clogged up.I would first trouble shoot the others EGR won't cause as much trouble.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by barcode
What I was saying you jackass, is to reset the ECU and see which codes come back on because sometimes codes can be triggered without anything actually being wrong, Some one that has been working on cars for that long should know that, then after you drive it for a while see what codes come back on, so you dont waste your money fixing stuff that isnt really wrong with your car.
You think I haven't done this already? 5 times infact by using the ecu screw to check and clear the codes. I did this several times to make sure I'm getting the same codes. Very first time I threw three codes, all were corrected. Reset, threw more codes. Cleared them, same ones came back up 3 other times.

I do know how to CHECK and CLEAR the codes, as well as trouble shooting stuff like this. But as far as this Nissan (being the first Nissan I have owned and worked on), I wanted some elder help with this car, so its done right the first time.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:16 PM

Well that is all i was suggesting, you didnt say that you had already dont that. Well good luck fixing it then.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:41 AM

While reading this post I noticed a warning light on my computers ECU... when I checked the codes it said STDACDA....

after researching it I found out this meant:

Switch To Decaf And Calm Down Already...

haha..
Old 02-04-2006, 01:17 PM

Coffee is nasty..