General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Lighting question for electrical gurus.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:08 PM

Lighting question for electrical gurus.

I've got this headlight issue with my S13 that I can't seem to resolve. My passenger headlight is out about 95% of the time, but sometimes comes on after the headlights have been on for more than 30 mins (much like the HUD issue). The high beam comes on without any issues, its just the low beam. I bought a new bulb and came up with the same result.

Here are some of the variables:

The car used to have driving lights that the previous owner installed (rather poorly) and I removed them.

Headlight fuses are intact.

I traced the wires coming from the headlight back as far as I could to the main harness and didn't find any cut or damaged wires.

Sometimes even if the light comes on, it goes back off while driving.

It seems as though this is a wiring issue rather than the headlight switch itself, as the driver side headlight still works. I am planning to remove the bumper and see if there is something I'm missing...but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:17 PM

I would start by checking all the grounds, Then make sure the harness that plugs into the head light is clean and not corroded (?) Hope this helps

Josh.B
Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by jbask
I would start by checking all the grounds, Then make sure the harness that plugs into the head light is clean and not corroded (?) Hope this helps

Josh.B
I was kinda thinking along the same lines regarding the grounds. I really haven't gotten a chance to dig into it very deep as of yet, but since it still comes on sporadically it might be one of the two things you suggested.

Thanks .
Old 10-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

I'd guess grounds too... then again, If you want to save headaches you could do a simple rewire with a pair of relays and your lights will also shine brighter... post up if you're interested
Old 10-19-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by jbask

Josh.B
Don't think it's a ground since your high beam works and the share the same ground wire. There are three wires at your headlight, correct? One is for high, one for low, and one for ground which is used to complete both circuits. If one of the circuits works fine everytime (high beam), then it's obvious that the ground isn't bad. I bank on it being your low beam positive signal.

If you can't trace it down, I'd consider tapping into your drivers side headlamp. Do this only if there is one fuse for both headlights.

Edited for a typo.

Last edited by TWong1200; 10-21-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by TWong1200
Don't think it's a ground since your high beam works and the share the same ground wire. There are three wires at your headlight, correct? One is for high, one for low, and one for ground which is used to complete both circuits. If one of the circuits works fine everytime (high beam), then it's obvious that the ground is bad. I bank on it being your low beam positive signal.

If you can't trace it down, I'd consider tapping into your drivers side headlamp. Do this only if there is one fuse for both headlights.
Now that you mention it, I think you're right. I did some poking around on the net and checked out my shop manual, I'm starting to think its the headlight/turn signal switch itself.

Tapping into the driver's side light probably wouldn't work out since they each have their own fuses.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
I'd guess grounds too... then again, If you want to save headaches you could do a simple rewire with a pair of relays and your lights will also shine brighter... post up if you're interested

Sounds interesting, can you post or PM me details?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
Old 10-22-2005, 03:33 PM

oops thats supposed to say me too
Old 10-22-2005, 05:18 PM

dont double post..... thats what the edit button is for....

anyway..... are you 100% sure that there are no spots where the wire has been damaged and is touching metal?....... i had this same problem with my maxima and i ended up having to rewire the headlights...

edit: well now that i think about my wording, i didnt " have to " rewire the headlights, but it seemed easier at the time