General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

ka24e alternator ground?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:36 PM

ka24e alternator ground?

I bought my 240 with a newly rebuilt motor. I've been having the ebrake and battery lights problem so i had my battery and alt checked and everything was fine. I came across something that said to check your alternator ground. Turns out the guy I bought the car from did not ground the alternator, so I think thats the at least one problem. My question is where on the alternator do I attach the ground wire? Can't find it in my FSM. Sorry for the newb question, but I have searched. O yea it's a 1990.
Thanks

^my alt. thats what is already hooked up.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

on the housing there is an "E" next to the screw.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the response. Will this be the wire that i ground to the chassis? I've read there are two grounds coming off the alternator?

Also, could this be the reason my lights are flickering (brighter/dimmer) at higher rpm?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

i just took a closer look at you pics and it seems that the alt is conected to what should be a grounding wire.

you should ckeck to see if there is any ground coming to that wire

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 01-30-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 PM

Yea it does seem like all the wires that should be on there are on there. I thought maybe another wire might have to lay over top of one there already. It seems like that's not the case. I feel like a pretty big idiot asking this, but how do i check to see if there's ground coming to that wire? I have a multimeter already. Thanks for your patience.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by jramosthe1st!
ok that second pic helps beacuse i proves is was right there is a grounding wire on the alt already but it's not properly gounded.
you need to place the bolt on an unpainted surface. and yes that could be the reason why your lights flicker.
No my fault i should have specified. That second pic is not my car i think that might even be a ka24de, but i assume the alt grounding point would be in the same location just about. I just used that picture to ask if that's where i will end up grounding the wire from the alt. There is nothing grounded there on my car. When i talked to the previous owner (who rebuilt the motor) he said he was under the impression that as long as the alt is bolted to the block it is grounded and he did not ground it any other place. It must be grounded somewhere somehow though right? Otherwise my battery would be done a while ago because my alt wouldn't be working. Right?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

what you should do is find an unpainted and rust free surface on your chassis. place a wire going from there to your alt and that should take care of that.