General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

How to legalize my RHD silvia !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

tell the dmv people the truth, they aren't gunna bite and you aren't gunna get arrested for asking. just ask what the best way to legalize the car would be. we have a rhd british car (morgan) and it is perfectly legal... of course it is registered as a "horesless carrige" and was imported new 45 years ago. but im sure it is still possible
Old 07-26-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by silviaks2nr
tell the dmv people the truth, they aren't gunna bite and you aren't gunna get arrested for asking. just ask what the best way to legalize the car would be. we have a rhd british car (morgan) and it is perfectly legal... of course it is registered as a "horesless carrige" and was imported new 45 years ago. but im sure it is still possible
I really HOPE so !! I'm planning to visit DMV soon and talk to someone about my car. I have all the forms to register it as "KIT" car, PLUS I got my smog done already. It's a 14 years old car (1991)... give me some slack here ! LOL.

Buying another 240sx (U.S.SPec) and using its VIN # be easier sense, but let's say if I do change all the VIN # to my RHD car, what if I get pulled over and get a "refree" ticket? I have to bring my U.S.SPec car to the CHP shop, BUT with NO VIN ## showin ? Get it what I'm sayin ??

Maybe I stick with DMV for now !!

Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 10:10 AM

Re: How to legalize my RHD silvia !!!!

Originally posted by Jay C. Sagano
Hello everyone !! I need your input and sugg's !!!

I have a Silvia RHD S13, brought it from Japan. I'm planning to legalize this beast and drive it on the U.S. Soil ! (California to be exact). I have 2 options, at least that's what I know of posibilities sofar.

(1) Register as a "KIT" car.

OR

(2) Buy U.S.Spec Nissan 240sx and transfer or use its VIN number to use the RHD silvia. I have to hold on to U.S.Spec 240 jus incase I get "refree" ticket.

(3) Is there any other way ??

Thanks
Jay
cantch@aol.com
Not worth your time or the money. Last I heard some Billionaire had to pay $280,000 to get his Lamborgini Mercielago out of the Oakland Ports right here in Cali, had it shipped out with custom modifications directly from Europe. You can register any imported vehicle but it cost major scratch.
From what I understand unless you drive a U.S postal service mail truck, the approval process is almost impossible on right side drive vehicles, you should see how long that process took for Motorex to legalize the JDM Skyline. Took about 2 years for approval, and custom modifications.
Honestly when it comes to a a s13 that has a U.S resale value of $2500.00 I defenitely wouldn't wan't to waste my time or effort to spend that kind of money to get the car approved with a legal registered VIN.
Hell look at the idiots trying to sell the s15 on ebay for over $30,000, it is a worthless car because it cost to much to legalize, there are 0 bids on those type of vehicles.

Besides I wouldn't swap with a U.S vin either, a buddy of mine did that and it gave him a felony offense and 2 years in jail. A state referee reported, arrested him.

If it does get registered as a kit car it has to go through inspection which probably wouldn't pass, your probably boosting on the car and thats not legal in Cali either. You still have to pass certain smog laws. Like I said look at the trouble motorex went through. Plus to have it registered as a kit car your insurance would cost you 3X the amount of a regular U.S registered vehicle.

It's not worth it in my opinion.
Welcome to Cali the politics here suck ***. If you want to cheat the system P.M me I can show you how to build a beastly N/A KA, and have it smog legal.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 07-26-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

VIN swapping is a BIG no-no, like Vinnie said.... and driving around on the wrong side of the car will surely raise the eyebrows of johnny law eventually and make them look into things. If they look deep enough, you'll be holding tight to the soap if you know what I mean.

As for this kit car option, it sounds great! Well, except for one teeny, tiny detail... your car is a production vehicle. You can fill out the forms and start the process, but it won't take them too long to find out what your car is. At that point they will probably take the car, and possibly fine you for customs violations for bringing it in to the US (not sure if there are affiliated criminal charges).

In short, there really is no reasonable way for a private citizen to do this legitimately. I looked up the laws on bringing a complete car to the US. It involves posting a big bond while the car is held in customs... a step which you have already skipped.

Since your car is, at this point, smuggled contraband, your best bet is to strip it for parts and get rid of it before homeland security starts wondering what else you're sneaking through customs undeclared (yes, if you got a complete silvia through customs, it was undeclared).

-Justin
Old 07-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

cant you just make it a track car? you wouldnt need a title or any kind of leagalization. But you wouldnt be able to drive it in the street.

you can make it a track car or do what JustinB. sed and strip it.

BTW i want sum pics!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:38 PM

Yeah.. i know what you mean !! DMV representative was pretty coo with me when I visited. They were considering my car as "specially Constructive Vehicle". Sofar, I did (1) a Smog cert. (2) REG 256 Official brake and light adj certificates. (3) REG 5036 Statement of construction and (4) Ownership title.
BUT like you said... I need to go thru CHP BAR refree aka Vehicle Verification. I'm worry about that !!!
If doesn't work, then doesn't work... off road it ONLY !!

All good... worth of tryin, right ?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

yeh just dont give up, might have to spend money/time but its worth if your gonna be pimpin in a RHD Silvia!

NOW PICS!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Slidin240
yeh just dont give up, might have to spend money/time but its worth if your gonna be pimpin in a RHD Silvia!

NOW PICS!!!
'Pimpin?'

I see nothing but disadvantages to an actual Silvia. The RHD is going to suck ***** for drive throughs and toll booths. Insurance is going to be hit-or-miss if someone will even cover it, it will likely be as a limited use vehicle with either restricted hours of use or a mileage cap per year. Headlights are also aimed into oncoming traffic and will not light the right side of the road properly - no adjustment will fix the beam pattern.

It will have limited 'wow... jdm tyte' appeal to those who even know what it is, and the rhd is likely to attract unwanted attention from law enforcement.

I'll be prepared to eat my words if this thing actually makes it legally on the road in Cali, but I suspect the clerk at the registry may be overruled by someone with actual power to decide what's allowed.

Good Luck.

-Justin
Old 07-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

let him do what he wants. who says he is going 2 use the car fo drive thru's? if he wants a RHD Slivia let em have a RHD Silvia. I kno that your just looking out for him by "warning" him but let it be.

IMO i bet no matter what we say, he is still going to try and get the Silvia legalized. If i had one, id use it only for drifting.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:40 PM

I FREAKIN HATE RHD.
Just for the fact that here in the U.S people have been trained to drive on the left side of the car. That means my right hand is trained to use the stick shift, while my left controls the wheel. Saw a guy at Infineon Raceway runnin in one of the RHD Skylines "A mortorex purchase", he sucked *** in his QMT, just due to the fact that his shifting was horrible and awkward.
RHD is like a retarded child here in the U.S, it is no fun at all to drive.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

its not that bad... rhd is fun you get lots of looks from other drivers. you guys really make it seem like its an *** to get the car registered (motorex has brainwashed u with the $40k crap). shifting with the left is different but u get used to it. i learned stick on a rhd. the car is a '60 morgan +4 as i said before, and we recently re-registered it and got a new plate. dmv will work with you. keep with your plan.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:15 PM

can i see some pics of your silvia?..
Old 07-27-2005, 09:52 AM

I will post some pics asap !!

Thanks for all your help guyz.

j
Old 07-27-2005, 05:00 PM

Hey,

Can you PLEASE tell me how much you got the car for, and who shipped it, and how much shipping was???

PLEASE...I'm begging you!!!

Did you have to dissasemble the entire car to get it through, or what?

If you don't mind sharing, could you tell me the entire story??!! I'm very interested, if you have the time

thanks
mike at Busy20yo@yahoo.com
Old 07-27-2005, 05:05 PM

buy shell vin swap it delete the thread and any other you have made
throw shell in a lake
done theres your car with a title
pm me if you have any qustions

Quick Reply: How to legalize my RHD silvia !!!!