General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Failed Emissions With A Vengance

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Failed Emissions With A Vengance

I just got back from emissions testing and all I can say is holy **** batman! My car failed miserably. The car failed both Hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxide by over 300%. The limit on HC is 0.8 and my car tested at 2.97, and the limit for CO is 15.00, and my car came in at 64.00. NOx passed with flying colors. To add insult to injury, a bee flew into my window on the way home. I stopped to open the hatch and let it out, and when I started driving my car again it was REALLY loud. I looked under the car and the exhaust broke off (rusted through) at the cat flange. Theres no fixing that.
---I have a theory that my car failed so badly because of a bad MAFS. I have had a hunch that it has been going bad for a while now. Could this possibly be a culprit? I havent checked anything yet. Looks like I have some work ahead of me- emissions work, new exhaust, installing coilovers.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

a bad mafs would cause the car to run poorly as well as throwing off the emissions readings. i suspect it is just a bad cat though, so just get a new one. In my state only cars 96 and up have to pass emissions, sorry this is not the case for you
Old 05-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

lol im scared to even take an emissions test. it would probably be so bad they they will crush my car b4 they even hook up the emissions equipment to test it lol...

1.) running rich so when i get on it i see a cloud of gas come out my exhaust

2.) i spit fire when i down shift...

3.) it just smells like gas... @.@

im hoping a wideband and a nismo fpr help lol
Old 05-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

I guess worst case scenario I could just tune down the SAFC to inject less gas.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

^
that might help but so would running something like seafoam to get rid of any carbon build up and then doing a tune up to make sure fuel is being burnt at it's best. a new o2 sensor and cat would also help.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 05-22-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:21 PM

BAD CAT, BAD O2 sensor, and bad distributor timing. New electrical sounds like a plan too....
Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 AM

haha im from Laport indiana i dont have the sniffer tests here
Old 05-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

WOW, I am so gonna fail too. They are just gonna look at my car and go...."get the **** out of here champ". I wish I lived in WI or something lawlz
Old 05-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Lol ruiz its okay, the car that was in front of me was a 90s caprice that was like 3 different colors and caked with dirt. He passed. Its not all in how a car looks.
It sucks, I think my county is the only county in Indiana that smogs their cars. Silentvoice lives 20 minutes away from me in the same state and they don't have emissions testng there.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

would you be able to drive over to were he lives n get it done?
As long as it it same state
Old 05-22-2007, 12:58 PM

if he registers it in my county then hes fine
Old 05-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

oh ok I see how it works
Old 05-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Yes but to register in his county I would have to know somebody whos address I could use in that county. I think I'll just fix the car lol. O2 sensors arent that expensive.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

I re-tested today and failed just as bad as last time.

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
BAD CAT, BAD O2 sensor, and bad distributor timing. New electrical sounds like a plan too....
I had put in new NGK platinum plugs, new cap and rotor, new O2 sensor, new fuel filter, and adjusted the timing to 20 degrees BTDC. NOx passed even a little better than last time.

I checked the EGR and it seems not to be working. It won't hold a vaccuum. I have researched this though and if I understand correctly the EGR only works to lower Nitrogen, so I don't think this is my problem. If the cat is bad, it will cause numbers in hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide to be very high, correct? Before I go spending a hundred dollars on either the EGR or the cat, I kinda want some more poinions.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ryguy

I checked the EGR and it seems not to be working. It won't hold a vaccuum. I have researched this though and if I understand correctly the EGR only works to lower Nitrogen, so I don't think this is my problem. If the cat is bad, it will cause numbers in hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide to be very high, correct? Before I go spending a hundred dollars on either the EGR or the cat, I kinda want some more poinions.

Exhaust gas is used to recirculate emissions to drop NOX. When exhaust gas fills into the intake manifold it allows less air to enter into the cylinder chamber dropping NOX emissions levels.

HC's usually deal with ignition timing and or CAM timing. Could be the possibility that the timing chain is stretched and throwing cam timing off.
We can check off distributor/ignition timing since you have it at 20BTDC.
You may want to check your speed sensor by checking the ecu diagnostics. The check engine light doesn't come on when those sensors are disconnected. Any of those sensors that are disconnected can make the car run richer than normal this can increase HC's and CO's.....
Final thing to check is to pressurize the intake manifold system and check for vacuum leaks (egr/BPT, and PCV system, could be a bad canister as well).
If your AIV is disconnected it will raise HC's since the CAT isn't functioning as HOT as it could be since the AIV isn't injecting oxygen into the exhaust system....
OHHH failed to mention it could be as simple as a leaky injector.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 06-29-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions With A Vengance