General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

drifting in parking lots??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 09:10 AM

drifting in parking lots??

i've ben reading on a lot of threads and seems like a lot of people practice on a parking lot... is this legal? can i just go to a parking lot late at night and practice drifting? school parking lots are pretty big... please let me know if this is legal in California.. thanks in advance...
Old 12-11-2003, 09:31 AM

I belive this isn't very legal! I do it every once and awhile. I mainly do it about 3:00 in the morning during weekdayz at the most for 15 min. I don't want to chance a ticket, I got 3 points left!Best place would be a fair ground parking lot where theres not alot of houses around!
Old 12-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

methinks the only time it's legal is if it's an official and organized event. what could possibly be illegal about parking lot drifting (as it's not on the streets putting people and property in danger)? most likely trespassing and possibly something to do with disturbing the peace? u got me...
Old 12-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

100% illegal..most of the time they will tell you to just get of the property, but if he is a dick he will give ya a ticket. Just make sure not to be at the lot for more then 15 minutes..bring a couple friends just in case and keep in touch if its a huge parking lot. Oh and make sure there arent lots of or any islands or light poles or trees you can hit.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:02 AM

can anyone of you guys teach me how to do a reverse J turn, and a 360... not donuts but the 360's that even FF layout can do..i saw it on a commercial a while back i think it was a camry.. 180's are really easy, i figured that one out myself.. but the 360 and the J turn is getting on my nerves cuz i can't get it.. i don't quite understand it..please explain..
Old 12-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

by J turn do you mean 90 degree turn? i dont have any first hand experience so im not ganna really say anything but the e-brake will help a lil.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:59 PM

Has anyone got caught practicing drift in parking lots? Were you charged with reckless driving. How much did the ticket cost?
Old 12-11-2003, 03:21 PM

well, i know hot to make fast U turns... which i think is a 180... the E brake is my friend then... but i'm talking about driving in reverse and then do a quick 180... would i use my front brakes then?? like slam on the brake pedal to lock up the front wheel?? i'm sooo lost, i don't understand how they do J turns in reverse... or the 360... errr.. any help would be truly appreciated..
Old 12-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

its just a fast revurse with the steering wheel lock all the way... i thought
Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 PM

To do a J-Turn just floor it in reverse. Then shift into first and drop the clutch (while moving in reverse) to get the wheels spinning, and turn the wheel all the way to the side. Back off on the gas a bit and let the front wheels slide around. Then when you're about 150-160 degrees around, nail the accelerator again and motor away.

The toughest part is shifting in to first when backing up without grinding the gears. Once you get it though, it's easy. You just need to make the wheels spin instead of putting stress on the tranny. Just takes time to master.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:02 AM

I was practicing in a parking lot then after a while i thought i'd go grab some Mcdonalds and head home. I skidded around a turn comin up to the exit and was sitting at the lights and I saw a cop goin straight then pull a u-turn and he sat there facing me on the other side of the lights.

I went straight and pulled into the Mcdonalds parking lot and sure enough he followed me so i stopped and he pulled beside me. He asked what was with the skid and i said i wasnt even goin 20km i gave it a bit too much gas and my tires just slipped when i turned. So he told me I could get charged for reckless or whatever (he was actually nice by the way, he made a few jokes).

My guess is if some cop sees u drifting in a parking lot he'll be a lot harder. This guy followed me and all he heard was my tires squel, if only he woulda seen me earlier lol

Just be careful if ur practicing in parking lots for other cars, cops, people, or abandoned shopping carts
Old 12-12-2003, 06:55 AM

i think parking lots are private property and
they cant give you a ticket thats what somebody told dont really know!
but sheet i dont care i do it anyways its fun
Old 12-12-2003, 09:19 AM

Jorilad... thanks man.. now i understand how they do that stuff... i shall try that this weekend... hopefully all goes well.. =)
Old 12-12-2003, 10:04 AM

NP man. Lemme know how it goes!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by GUNLINE
i think parking lots are private property and
they cant give you a ticket thats what somebody told dont really know!
but sheet i dont care i do it anyways its fun
True, most parkign lots are private property and cant give you a ticket on that property...but once you drive off they will ticket ur ***. Simple as that haha

Quick Reply: drifting in parking lots??