General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

camshaft replacement ka24e

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:00 AM

camshaft replacement ka24e

So last week I was looking for help diagnosing why my car decided to stop working with no indication of any trouble...

Well, it wasn't what I expected at all...I was glaring at my timing chain trying to find out if there was any way it could've jumped, but the tensioner was fine and it looked lined up, and then I noticed something odd as i looked up - one intake valve for cyl 2 was open and the other was closed.
"That can't be right..."
So I climb up above the engine and look down, and sure enough, right by the exhaust valve lobe for the second cylinder, the camshaft is snapped in two. That explains pretty much everything, including how it would run on one cylinder as the timing was fine and it still worked for cylinder 1.

So, I have to find a new camshaft. I'll start looking around junkyards for one...Is there anything else I need for this swap? never done one before. I figure the rocker arms and cam gear should be fine and i'll just need to take everything apart and put in the new one. I can't find any tutorials on this though - so any advice is appreciated.

And I have to hope and pray that the one valve thats stuck open didn't get bent by the piston. Anyone have experience with SOHC KA's losing timing? Is the clearance on the intake valves so tight that they get hit or should I be alright?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

if you can't find one in a junk yard i have one for sale.

if you'd like a performance cam you can try http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/cam_corner.html.
as long as your lifters aren't ticking right now you should be fine with the c.406 or tri-flow cam. if you want something more aggressive you'll need to replace the lifters with adjustable ones or have the cam tower milled. if you decide to get one from pdm just a little fyi, there prices are going up so get one quick. a few months ago the C.406 was $190, and $170 about a year ago.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Contributing Member

get aftermarket cams, without tuning you wont get much power gain, but itll sound cool. haha.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:38 AM

I would switch to a solid lifter assembly no matter what ever condition the lifters are in already. A solid lifter assembly usually comes with adjustable valve lash.
The tri flow cam would be your best investment and I hear it is a well made cam profile wit a lot of lowend torque as well as HP.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 AM

I'm interested, jramos, i msgd you with my email addy.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aradapilot
I'm interested, jramos, i msgd you with my email addy.
received and replied.

i'd just like to add that if you decide to go with a regrind you'll want to have a core cam or you'll have to pay $200-$250 depending where you get it from.

or an unground cam from nissan for about $300
Old 07-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Junkyard cam 20 bucks!

Want my sohc cam, ill sell it to you this fall lol.