General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Build up a 240sx with 8k. Win 10$! :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 02:13 AM

Build up a 240sx with 8k. Win 10$! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, Ive decided to sell my current car, a 2003 MSP. I want something i can drift in, and not have a car payment so high.

Ive decided on a 240sx. Ill be getting a 95-96 since i want to do a s15 front end conversion. I can find one for about 6,000 in great condition locally. That leaves me with about 7-8k to drop into the car right away. Problem is, I know nothing about this car or really my options. I could spend the next 4 years researching these forums looking at what i should get but i figure this will get me where i want to be faster.

What I am asking of you is to build up a 240sx using 7-8k. I will change parts out to meet my preferences but I want to get a good idea of some prices and see all my options.

The response that is the most in-depth I will paypal 10$. (maybe more if its worth it). I know its not a lot of money, but if you know your **** it shouldn’t take you much time at all.

These are my requirements. Please post prices and links to everything!

Aesthetics:
-s15 Full front end conversion with OEM headlights and prefer OEM fenders(if possible)
- side skirts and bumpers (please factor in a guess on paint and body work)
- Rims – something black/gunmetal w/ polish lip and dish

Performance:
- Full turbo kit, or swap.
- Coilovers or springs/struts
- clutch? Will I need a new one with a turbo kit? (stock one just put in, under 200m)
- Sway bars
- Any bushings need replaced
- Short throw shifter

I’m not sure if 7-8k is enough to meet those requests, but do what you can. Left over money is a bonus as I can put it elsewhere in the car. I

O and I really want things done right, I don’t want things that don’t fit right or are low quality. I want to build up this car right from the get. I want this car to be VERY clean.

Thanks everyone, i cant wait to get this underway!

PS. I am going to post this on a few forums.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:57 AM

well, i can't really help you out with parts, but i can tell you ... you can get a good condition 240 for less than 6 grand. and i say this so you can spend more money on mods!

when i bought mine off ebay, i paid 4200, and 400 of that was shipping from PA to MI. everything is in GREAT shape (minor dings here and there, but fixable).
Old 09-03-2004, 05:17 AM

Aesthetics:
-s15 Full front end conversion with OEM headlights and prefer OEM fenders(if possible)

The headlights will be OEM but for the fenders you will have to use conversion fenders, preferably a good brand (Masa) and not cheap ones (GTP) as they are what make the conversion work.

The s15 conversion will set you back a few grand (I'm guessing around $4000 give or take for problems that may come up), you may see them online for around $2000 but again factor in that the fenders they use will more than likely have horrible fitment and will end up costing you more in the long run. Check out Jspec.com for the masa fenders and pretty much everything else you would need for the conversion.

- side skirts and bumpers (please factor in a guess on paint and body work)

Front bumper, side skirts, and a rear valance can run near $1500 (again thats for quality parts). Depending on if your painting just those parts or the whole car the price will vary, if just those pieces I would give a rough estimate of around $300-500 (maybe more, maybe less, I'm not really too knowledgable on paint prices), if the whole car is getting a new paint job, a good one can run $2000 or more, give or take. Also don't forget you will need a hood, which for a good one will probably set you back around $600

- Rims – something black/gunmetal w/ polish lip and dish

Pricing depends on what brand and size you want. You could spend anywhere from $100 to over a grand for wheels. Also be sure to look into wheels with the correct offset.

- Full turbo kit, or swap.

The greddy turbo kit for the KA runs about $2900. Not much more to say, jspec.com has this on their site with the specifics of it. An s13 SR clip usually runs about $2500, most shops charge about $1500 to swap it in the car. If you want to swap in an RB series engine, I would say expect to pay about $7000, have money set aside though for any complications that you may encounter, the swap could run near $10,000(clip and installation)

- Coilovers or springs/struts

A set of Coilovers will probably set you back about $1300 (again this is for a good brand not the ebay coilover sleeves ****s)

- clutch? Will I need a new one with a turbo kit? (stock one just put in, under 200m)

If your going the turbo or swap route you will probably want to put in a better clutch, they can run from $300 to around $1300

- Sway bars

If you want go for it, cost around $200 or more

shifter

B&M is probably one of the best short shifters, priced at about $250

So will $7000-8000 get everything you want...chances are no unless you plan on stealing half the stuff. I would say do some research on your own, as most of the prices I stated are estimates and are not guaranteed to be right. Check out phase2motortend,jspec.com, and these forums for more info. I ask that next time take some time to search for yourself as pretty much all of your questions have been answered on here before and can be found with a simple click of the search button.

Oh, before you get a 240 and throw all your money into it right away and start trying to drift, I would suggest getting the 240 and get some serious seat time in the car while in stock form. Learn as much as you can about how the car handles and feels stock.

Thats pretty much all I got to say for now, I just got off work and I'm really tired, so again, please search next time, and good luck
Old 09-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

You're forgetting the LSD. Sure you can drift w/o one, but an LSD is crucial to holding stable drifts for a period of time. That'll be like what, another grand?
Old 09-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

I'll do my best...

1. Get everything(for the S15 conversion) from jspec.com, it will cost you a little below 3k, or just around. This will be some good quality stuff, not the GTP crap.
2. Side skirts and rear valence...about 900(could be lower or higher), for paint and body work...I'd say a good 700, minimum.
3. To many wheels to list...but I would guess around 1500 with tires.
4. Go with turboing the KA, around 4.5k for a nice set up.
5. Coilovers will be 1k, minimum. 2k, max(look into Tein, JIC and Cusco)
6. Anywhere from 300-700(Exedy, ACT, blitz and etc)
7. ST sway bars, aroound 200
8. I would suggest doing all of them(poly urethene bushings) around 500 or 600
9. B&M all the way, around 250

Everything in total, just around 13k. Yep you heard that right, 13k. Now if you had a good hook up on a lot of these parts, Id say around 11k or 10k.

What are you looking to do with this car? Sounds like a show car to me
Old 09-03-2004, 12:56 PM

i dont know much about suspension, and bodywork.. but i can give ya some ideas on how to make a beast out of an SR20.

*MOTOR*
-SR20DET front clip.

*TURBO*
-upgrade the stock T25/T28 to a Garrett T3.

*EXHAUST*
-buy the custom exhaust manifold for SR20 which places the turbo on top.
-5zigen downpipe
-hiflow cat
-3" full catback exhaust

*COOLING*
-greddy front mount intercooler
-all the piping (test pipe.. hot pipe)
-koyo aluminum radiator
-flex-a-lie dual electric fan

*ENGINE INTERNALS*
-Greddy pulleykit
-Unorthodox crank pulley
-555cc Injectors w/Walbro fuel pump
-JWT S3 cams

*ELECTRONICS*
-GReddy Boost conroller
-AFC
-JWT upgraded ECU

its not much but its gonna be a beast. approx hp ~ 350-400rwhp
Old 09-03-2004, 01:29 PM

you can do an S15 front an an 89-94 240... I mean, if you didnt know. and they are cheaper than a 95 and up. then you'd have more left over for parts