General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

brand new to 240sx...and to japanese cars all together

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 08:19 AM

oh and yesterday...on one of my trips to go look at it...i checked it it's a 240sx LE

someone said that they didnt think 1995 had le...well mine is...unless someone switched the badge...which i doubt...

maybe the LE is just the canadian version of the SE?

like for honda civics...you guys honda SI's...we have SiR's...it's stupid but SiR sounds better

whats the difference between an SE and a base model...i guess you would call it that
Old 10-13-2003, 09:59 AM

'95 240sx is the s14 chassis isnt it???

i'm looking at srswap.com...they look like they are sending good clean engines.

"Black-Top S14 SR20DET Silvia 95-98"

thats the one i want right??

and it says it will fit with no modifications? that means i can take what they ship and my car to an auto shop and they will be able to remove my engine and put that one in with no problems what-so-ever? no having to go buy a different alternator or anything?
Old 10-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

that all sounds reasonable. looks like ur going for a variety of things to do in ur car. my advice to u for any racing related activities would be to get some lessons/seat time at a local track and improve ur high performance driving abilities before u start modding for power and handling. 560hp won't save u in a spin out, dig? other than that, if ur not gonna go hardcore in any particular aspect, then spending money on paint and body kits shouldn't be that bad. if ur looking for auto to manual swap info, i think that there is a write up on **********. if ur looking for parts, i dunno, search our for sale forums i guess. anyway, good luck w/everything.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by fist
'95 240sx is the s14 chassis isnt it???
yep. S14's range from 95-98. the only differences (that i know of) between the 95-96s and the 97-98s being the headlights and tail lights.
i'm looking at srswap.com...they look like they are sending good clean engines.
i think so. they r one of the most reputable shops out there, so i doubt u'll get junk from them.
"Black-Top S14 SR20DET Silvia 95-98"

thats the one i want right??
why do u think u need that one in particular? if u didn't know, u can put pretty much any engine in ur car that they sell (except, of course, the FWD motors ).
and it says it will fit with no modifications? that means i can take what they ship and my car to an auto shop and they will be able to remove my engine and put that one in with no problems what-so-ever? no having to go buy a different alternator or anything?
that's the way it looks. remember, the SR20DET came in the exact same chassis as our usdm cars (with the exception of the location of the steering wheel and pedals).
Old 10-13-2003, 10:49 AM

well i figure any of them you can put in cept for the fwd...but i mean...which is the one that will fit with no mods and is the popular one...or instead of using popular...i should say..the one that has special features on it...like say variabel valve timing or something.

s15 engine comes with a 6 speed close ratio....that would be nice...but that engine is pretty expensive and they rarely get one i read...
Old 10-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

well i figure any of them you can put in cept for the fwd...but i mean...which is the one that will fit with no mods and is the popular one...or instead of using popular...i should say..the one that has special features on it...like say variabel valve timing or something.

s15 engine comes with a 6 speed close ratio....that would be nice...but that engine is pretty expensive and they rarely get one i read...
to be honest, i really can't tell ya. it's like one of those "taste great/less filling" things. it depends on what u want. ease of installation? CA18DET or SR20DET. price? CA18DET, S13 SR20DET, RB20DET. (starting) power? S15 SR20DET, RB25DET, or RB26DETT. most hp capable from stock internals? RBXXDET(T). most bang for the buck? see "price". uniqueness? see "starting power" and any VQ/VG. don't forget about turbocharging the KA24(D)E (again, to be different, for ease of finding replacement parts, or for emissions/inspection purposes).

that's just a basic guideline. there r tons of discussions/full-blown arguments about which one is better and whatnot. again, it all depends on ur preference, budget, and timetable. all i can tell u is to research each motor (pros/cons) and find out what's right for u. don't take it the wrong way, but i don't think spending $4000-$9000+ (u.s.) on a motor just because XXXXXX said it was the best would be a good idea. i think u'd feel better about making an informed purchase when u've done so for ur own reasons...
Old 10-13-2003, 11:38 AM

well i want ease of installation..

and i pretty much want a sr20det...but isnt there a few different versions of it??? i meant which version of the sr20det is good.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

well i want ease of installation..

and i pretty much want a sr20det...but isnt there a few different versions of it??? i meant which version of the sr20det is good.
yes, there are different versions. however, ur second question is a good way to get the living ish flamed outta u. too broad, vague, and general a question. what do u mean good? define good. good for what? what do u need it to be good for? u have to try to be more specific about what ur asking. especially here. not too many nissan enthusiasts r gonna say that a nissan engine is crap (with some exceptions). the answer (non flamatory) that ur most likely to get is "they're ALL good". anyway, for some specs, please check out the following site:

http://www.sr20detinfo.com

hopefully, that will help you form a better opinion of what ur after.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Redtop sr's are the most popular, the blacktop's are a bit more expensive and i'm told better, although i'm not sure how. in my mind there isn't a better one. I don't know much about the CA18 though. The sr's pop in your bay without different motor mounts, and everything lines up pretty well. but i've only seen pics and writeups, so I could be lying, lol.

if you're looking 200-300rwhp, i'd say go for your sr20 and with a few mods it'll be upper 200's and running high 13's at the track. Because of the recent explosion of 240's being so popular now, the support for sr20's is great, you can find just about anything possible for that engine. the clip should come with the starter and alternator on it.

Just remember, some assembley required! lol

Dr.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:04 PM

yeah i know what you mean...i wasnt very specific....i just want it to be reliable..i know for sure if i do a swap it would be a sr20det. no question..

and by installation i meant....little or no chassis modifications...

i wanna pull one out and put one in...that would be perfect.

like upgrading a videocard on a computer. or ram...for example.

anyways i just talked to my dad and its pretty certain i am gonna get it...thanks again for the warm and fuzzy welcomes

i'm so ****ing excited!

i wont change the engine until after winter...unless i get a problem with it.

does the alternator and all that stuff (power steering water pump..etc) fit from the engine it's coming with directly onto the sr20det? or will the det come with everything (as long as i get it from a reputable place..like srswap.com i'm told..)
Old 10-13-2003, 01:07 PM

i think i would get the sr20det from an s14...

is there a certain way of determining the different versions of the sr20det?

like...do i say "s14 sr20det" or "redtop" or something like that?
Old 10-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

u asked if the SR20 would go in w/little or no chassis mods, right? didn't i tell u already?:

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
remember, the SR20DET came in the exact same chassis as our usdm cars (with the exception of the location of the steering wheel and pedals).
stock motor mounts, stock tranny mounts.
does the alternator and all that stuff (power steering water pump..etc) fit from the engine it's coming with directly onto the sr20det? or will the det come with everything (as long as i get it from a reputable place..like srswap.com i'm told..)
if u get a front clip (read: entire front half of the car), u will get EVERYTHING and intact. pretty much, if the car was in perfect running order, and somebody lopped it off at the windshield, that's what u get.
i think i would get the sr20det from an s14...

is there a certain way of determining the different versions of the sr20det?

like...do i say "s14 sr20det" or "redtop" or something like that?
my man, did u even look at the website i posted for u? let's make it simple:

S13 SR20DET: redtop/blacktop
S14 SR20DET: only one kind; just what it is
S15 SR20DET: again, only one kind

not being an *** or anything, it's just that 2/3 of what u asked in the last two posts have already been covered in this thread alone. it's almost like ur not paying any attention...
Old 10-13-2003, 05:18 PM

Old 10-13-2003, 05:23 PM

no no no...i KNOW that its not a red top or whatever i was just naming those for example.

so i take it i would be saying to a friend when i am naming off mods.."i dropped in an s14 sr20det."

or would i say..."i dropped in an sr20det from an s14" or do you have another name for it?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

no no no...i KNOW that its not a red top or whatever i was just naming those for example.

so i take it i would be saying to a friend when i am naming off mods.."i dropped in an s14 sr20det."

or would i say..."i dropped in an sr20det from an s14" or do you have another name for it?
either way is fine. the only time u would need to designate 'redtop' or 'blacktop' is w/the S13 SR. the terms 'S14 SR' or 'S15 SR' should be self-explanatory.

Quick Reply: brand new to 240sx...and to japanese cars all together