General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

brand new to 240sx...and to japanese cars all together

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 04:00 AM

brand new to 240sx...and to japanese cars all together

hey....yesterday i noticed a 240sx for sale...and i took it for a ride and fell in love with it instantly. its lowered and has an exhaust already...which doesnt matter because i would prefer to do that myself but anyways...

i am brand new here...i know nothing about them....i've driven japanese cars before but i've never owned one...i'm going from a ford tempo to this (hopefully)..

anyways...i cant remember the model..but i'll describe it and maybe someone can tell fromt he description...its a 1995...it's AUTO ( so sad ) and no sunroof...it has power locks...power windows...power mirrors....it has leather bucket seats....thats about all i can think of.

its in canada....i dont know if there is a difference between canadian and american models..and i know its either an se or le...i cant remember.

anyways again..

i wanna know what i can do with this car. what is a popular engine swap for it...i was reading and saw an engine code...(sr...something...dat) could someone give me an explanation of it?

also...i'd like to eventually bolt on a turbo as well.

if there are any links you guys have to info or anything please post them up. i wanna get that auto tranny out of there. is a transmission swap expensive? i am getting a really good deal on the car....and maybe i'll just buy it...clean it...and sell it for more... but after driving it yesterday its all i've thought about...

oh and please dont just tell me to search...if thats all you are going to say dont waste your time posting. i would search but i dont know what to search for...for one...and two...i'd rather be taken under one of the peoples wings because if i get this car i am gonna want someone with experience with it to talk to.

sorry for such a long post
Old 10-12-2003, 04:21 AM

oh...another thing....let me know anything i might not know...

such as clip...wtf is a clip...lol..

all info is greatly appreciated...

i'm thinkin of an engine swap after this engine is dead...or when i have the spare money...and around the same time i'd do the tranny.

as of now and before winter i might do an intake and bring my stereo system over from my tempo

i have an alpine cda 7876....if anyone is interested leave a post. its BRAND NEW...works perfectly...i just want one that can play mp3's...who knows...maybe i'll change my mind and not sell it.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:32 AM

1) for what model it is, i think its an se(i dont think they had le in 95)

2) a popular engine swap is the sr20det: 2.0 litre engine, turboed, with about 200 hp. or you can put a rb20(25 or 26)det(t) which are popular too but require much more work than the sr20det swap. the rb26dett is the skyline engine, and if you know what a skyline is, then you know exactly what kind of crazy hp these cars have had in the past.

3)as for the auto to manual, go to the drivetrain section of the forum and search "auto to manual" or "transmission swap". i know ive seen one just pop up not too long ago. ill see if i can find it and post a link but im sure you can find it yourself.

edit: yup found it in about 3 seconds, it was on the first page http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...&threadid=5717

edit: here is another one although this is for an s13(94 and earlier) while your car would be an s14(95-98) but at least it has some prices listed http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...&threadid=5876

Last edited by polishmafia4u; 10-12-2003 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

first off

"oh and please dont just tell me to search...if thats all you are going to say dont waste your time posting. i would search but i dont know what to search for...for one...and two...i'd rather be taken under one of the peoples wings because if i get this car i am gonna want someone with experience with it to talk to"

The reason we say to search is because someone's already said it, and said it well. with some basic research you could have found half of the answers to your questions, the search is there to help, not to be rude.

1. A clip is litterally the whole front end of a car, it includes everything you'll need for a swap, the ecu, tranny, wiring harness, radiator, etc. You can also just buy a motor and tranny(for cheaper), but then you'll be searching for everything needed to do the swap, the clip is much easier.

2. depending on your miles and expierence, you can turbo your KA24DE for much cheaper than a SR if you have a friend that knows how. the popular swap is the SR20DET, it's the engine that came in our cars stock in Japon but they came with KA24DE's in America to torture us.

3. the swap is pretty easy, only a few hard parts involved. there is a pretty easy walkthrough under installs on **********. (the forums their however aren't known for being usefull, lol)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Look around, and soak up all the knowledge you can. thats how you'll learn, through reading everything you can and doing everything on your car yourself. Then you'll be able that experinced person you seek and you can take newbies under your wing!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dr.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:56 PM

novascotia...the please dont say to search was directed specifically at you...every post i seen by you starts off with "do a search"

if i knew something specific i wanted to search for i wouldnt bother asking a newbie question.

heh..also...i know someone has probably said it well..and posting links to the proper threads is very helpful

i am still deciding to get the car or not...but it was so great to drive..and i read about it in a lemon aid book...and it got pretty good ratings...

is there anything i should specifically know about the 1995 model?? certain problems? i read loud breaks....exhaust...over heats...any problems like that...

polish mafia thanks for the links and thanks novascotia for the info on the engine swap..

i'm wondering if its something i should try to do myself or if i should just get it done at a shop...

does the sr20det come with a turbo?? or am i looking to buy a turbo as well as the engine??
Old 10-12-2003, 04:03 PM

The SR20DET comes turbo stock, hence the 'T' at the end. SR is the engine code, 20 is 2.0 liter, DE is DOHC and the T is for turbo. I've heard the SR swap isn't all that hard as long as you have everything you need, which is why most get a front clip.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:08 PM

wow...ya learn alot here eh..

this is what i WANT to do..if i feel like dropping all the money into it...

i want the sr20det swapped in...
maybe a 6 speed gearbox (does a front clip come with the tranny??)
s14 front end conversion

i think that would look pretty sick...

what are some popular makers of bodykits for these cars?

if i do get it...i am gonna start up a webpage and take lots of pics of it like it is now...and i'll have install pics for you too.

would the tranny thats on it now be able to handle the sr20det??
incase i decide not to change to a manual right away...

the only thing i am worried about is fitment...if i convert it to a manual gearbox i want the interior to look as if it came from the factory with a manual....is that possible?
Old 10-12-2003, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

the front clip comes with a 5 speed, there's no need to really make it a six speed unless you have the desire to be unique.
Changing the interior from an auto to manual is pretty easy overall i'm told, and it's no problem making it look stock, many peope have done it, and have write-ups. If you did the sr20 designing a webpage would be a wonderful resource for others trying to do so.

And I only tell someone to search if I know the question has been answered and fully, because as you'll see 90% of posts if searched can be found. Not being rude, but you'll see what I am talking about.
HOWEVER, that being said I do try and contribute as much as I can, such as for you.

there are several places you can get the swap. The convienence of the SR is it's already turbo'd and ready to roar! In my humble opinion KAT or Sr20 are both great paths.

Dr.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:24 PM

yeah...its rare that a question is ever asked that has never been asked before...

and thats the good thing about you post ******

instead of taking the time to ***** about us not searching...take the time and hook us up with a couple links!
Old 10-12-2003, 05:44 PM

Well, I 'stumbled' upon the import scence some years ago, but got into actually this summer. I know it is just a short time and I am not gonna act like I know everything, but I know my share. Welcome again.
Oh, and if you get altezza's...I'll hunt you down.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by fist

what are some popular makers of bodykits for these cars?

bomex, do-luck, vertex, and some others. bomex seems to be a real popular one. here is a link where i posted a good one(imho) and another one that we have yet to identify.
http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...&threadid=6490
Old 10-12-2003, 09:16 PM

yeah my friend also mentioned bomex...hes always on car forums....

and dont worry....altezzas are the enemy! i'm not stupid...i am just not educated in the 240sx world...or nissans all together..i know vw's pretty well..
Old 10-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Re: brand new to 240sx...and to japanese cars all together

Originally posted by fist
hey....yesterday i noticed a 240sx for sale...and i took it for a ride and fell in love with it instantly. its lowered and has an exhaust already...which doesnt matter because i would prefer to do that myself but anyways...

i am brand new here...i know nothing about them....i've driven japanese cars before but i've never owned one...i'm going from a ford tempo to this (hopefully)..

anyways...i cant remember the model..but i'll describe it and maybe someone can tell fromt he description...its a 1995...it's AUTO ( so sad ) and no sunroof...it has power locks...power windows...power mirrors....it has leather bucket seats....thats about all i can think of.

its in canada....i dont know if there is a difference between canadian and american models..and i know its either an se or le...i cant remember.

anyways again..

i wanna know what i can do with this car. what is a popular engine swap for it...i was reading and saw an engine code...(sr...something...dat) could someone give me an explanation of it?

also...i'd like to eventually bolt on a turbo as well.

if there are any links you guys have to info or anything please post them up. i wanna get that auto tranny out of there. is a transmission swap expensive? i am getting a really good deal on the car....and maybe i'll just buy it...clean it...and sell it for more... but after driving it yesterday its all i've thought about...

oh and please dont just tell me to search...if thats all you are going to say dont waste your time posting. i would search but i dont know what to search for...for one...and two...i'd rather be taken under one of the peoples wings because if i get this car i am gonna want someone with experience with it to talk to.

sorry for such a long post
first and foremost, welcome. hopefully, u've already found this site and it's members helpful (i know i have and still am). as far as ur desires and aspirations about ur car, i have a few questions:

1. what is the ultimate goal for ur car?

a. daily driver
b. daily driver w/some kick
c. track racer
d. autocross
e. drag
f. drift
g. highway battle (top speed)
h. show
i. just the way it is, but faster
j. just the way it is, but handle better
k. a combination of some of the aforementioned
l. other

2. how much are u looking to spend on this project?

a. just the price of the car + upkeep
b. price of the car + $500-$2000
c. price of the car + $2000-$5000
d. price of the car + $5000-$10000
e. price of the car + $10000 and beyond

3. how serious are u about any of the above?

a. dead serious
b. semi serious
c. i dunno/kinda
d. just a thought
e. i'm just joking, i'd never do any of that

basically, i'm just trying to get a feel for what u wanna do, and what ur willing to commit to. also, i'm trying to get u to ask urself the questions what will help narrow down ur focus on what u want, and then, u'll be better able to specifically find the info u seek. that's like walking up to a high school athletics director and saying "i wanna play sports". which one? indoor/outdoor? team/individual? contact or non contact? running involved? throwing things? u get the picture...

when searching for things here, it helps to have the proper syntax. if i wanted to know about a 5 lug conversion, i'd search the following:

5 AND lug AND conversion

u'd be surprised at how well that works. if i wanted tips on where to buy SR20DET's:

where AND buy AND sr20det

what i want u to understand is that there is a lot more to doing certain things w/ur car than just saying "i wanna do X". once u know what u wanna do, u can then find out how much (time, money, resources, etc) it will take to get u there. also, no one here says "search" because they're too good to answer questions or help others. if anything, we like helping people to help themselves. u can still be taken under someone's wing AND still search for things urself. promise. also, the idea of searching is so that once some actually does that, they won't find a million threads about the same thing. makes everyone's life easier. anyway, if u've got questions about my questions or whatever, feel free to pm me.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:12 AM

well thanks for your welcome

and thanks for the tips on how to search...they will definitely come in handy.

as for your questions..

for 1.....it will be my only personal car. so it will be a daily driver...BUT i wont be driving it daily and losing fuel milage isnt much of a problem as long as its not like...100 miles then i gotta fill up again (im canadian...i dunno miles i just guessed) the reason why i wouldnt be driving it every day is because i am a taxi driver. i'm WHITE too. no stereotyping! anyways...after driving 12 hours a day in the taxi soemtimes i just go home and sleep. this is a long answer for just 1 simple multiple choice question...but im still not done. i want it to have SHOW...and nice clean show...not crazy stickers and gigantic wings...but a decent kit all around...maybe a different wing...front end conversion to s14...and me i have a thing for buying good name brand parts. i bought a 700 dollar cd player to use in a FORD TEMPO.

ok...so i want it to be a semi daily driver...i want it to have LOTS of kick..(somewhere between 2 and 3 hundred after the sr20det swap)....track, drag, auto-x, and drift....i've never done...BUT i may try...i would definitely take it and try draggin at least once...and if i like it i'd probably get addicted. auto-x sounds fun too (they all sound fun...but i can't do none of that drift **** that you see them do on videos where they are all right on eachothers asses)....moving on...highway battle/top speed...yeah..works for me...i know whenever i'm on the highway i never go less than 110MPH and thats in my poor little tempo. and yes...show. not crazy amounts of show with like gullwing doors or anything like that.

ok finally...for the next question...for me...i would spend over 10k...but it wouldnt be all at once...i'd do it all over the course of a year or 2...you know what i mean? modding my car would be an addiction.

and about your last question...i am pretty damn serious. BUT i dont even have the car yet....once i get it and start driving it as is for a while i might find out things i didnt while taking it for the test drive.

the reason i dont have it right now is because i'm waiting for my dad to come home from his trip (he drives and owns a big rig 18-wheeler) and monday is a thanksgiving holiday....i wanna consult with him and have him look at it and see. i THINK i am getting an alright deal...i checked on autotrader.ca and didnt see any at this price...(4G canadian...which is what....30 bucks american????)

first my friend saw the car and pointed it out to me...and its like his dream car...but he doesnt want an auto...i dont really want one either but my tempo's alternator is dead and so is the battery. my stereo did it.

speaking of that...will i be able to bring my stereo over from the tempo without any problems? i dont have a cap or anything...i just run off the car...no extra battery or anything... i have an alpine 7876 deck...12' pheonix gold titanium sub and box...and an alpine 300 digital amp. i am just gonna put them over for now because its better than what its got...eventually i am gonna get a new deck...because this one doesnt play mp3s...

sorry again for such a long post. you guys are the only people i can dtalk to...my girlfriend gets mad and threatens to leave whenever i talk to her...i dont mean to i just keep going on and on...you can see that already i supposed..heh..
Old 10-13-2003, 08:15 AM

yeah..thnking about it now...i'd definitely go over 10 grande...lol i wouldnt even count...i'd sert my sights on one thing...save up...do it...enjoy it and while enjoying it plan onthe next thing.

Quick Reply: brand new to 240sx...and to japanese cars all together