Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

would this make an SR20DET or RB20DET legal in our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 01:44 PM

Or Air Intake Valve
Old 09-26-2003, 04:34 PM

inspection

i have a smog inspection sheet from my 240 here and it has the check list for the visual inspection
this is what the check for:
Emission Control Systems Visual Inspection/Functional check results.
PCV - Pass
Catalytic Converter - Pass
Exhaust Gas Recirculation - Pass
Wiring to Sensors - Pass
Fillpipe Restrictor - Pass
Fuel Cap Integrity Test - Pass
Thermostatic Air Cleaner - N/A
Air Injection - Pass
Spark Controls - Pass
Vacuum Lines to Sensors/Switches - Pass
Ignition Timing: 12 BTDC - Pass
Fuel Evaporative Controls - Pass
System Malfunction Light - Pass
Carb./Fuel Injection - Pass
Other Emissions Related Components - Pass
Oxygen Sensor - Pass

so thats the visual part so i dont se why you couldnt pass smog in cali with an sr20et. but yea i never thought about it not being dot and thats a very good point. personaly i think you should be able to do the swap legaly as long as it will pass emissions but oh well screw cali i will be doing my swap anyways! lol
Old 09-26-2003, 05:01 PM

I just found out somthing today that THRILLS me...I live in GA and emissiona are only in Metro ATL and my county is considered metro ATL....however my family has land NOT IN METRO ATL WOOO HOOO....NO EMMISIONS FOR ME so when i do get my SR or RB It will be legal...
Old 09-28-2003, 11:01 PM
Contributing Member

keepin it fresh... bump... if this is true, ill buy an sr next paycheck
Old 09-30-2003, 01:07 PM

http://www.arb.ca.gov/MSPROG/MACMAIL/Importat.htm

Most of the relevant information for a legal imported engine in California. If it passes here than it will probably pass anywhere.

Other than CA legal emissions equipment you need to qualify under one of two categories.

a) Parts list showing identical part numbers used for both the California-certified engine and the used imported engine, or

b) A comparative emissions test using Cold Start CVS-75 Federal Test Procedures (FTP) in accordance with Title 40, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 86. The test vehicle's original catalytic converter must be retained and properly functioning. Testing will be performed on the test vehicle in the original as-built configuration (baseline) and then with the imported used engine installed (modified). The baseline emissions of the test vehicle should be typical for that particular make, model and model-year. Typical baseline emissions will be supplied by the ARB upon request. Emissions from the modified test must not exceed the baseline emissions to show that the imported used engine is functionally identical to the original engine.

Edit: I hear passing FTP is rough.

Last edited by Baba; 09-30-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:06 PM

Lightbulb Thanx for the good info.

its always good to hear some positive info!
Old 10-18-2003, 03:37 AM

man try to do it legit...make sure your engine is hot and use high octane gas and do anything you can to reduce emissions that way...and if it passes good...if not...take it to someone that will accept bribes....i mean...you are out 100 bucks...but at least you can drive your car and as far as anyone knows its legal

all they do is put your info into the computer and then run the test on another vehicle.

i go thru cars like mad......emission tests and safety's (certification) are the easiest things....i can get certifications without bribing....my dad is best friends with a mechanic...

on the other hand...the car that i am buying right now i am gonna be there for the safety (another mechanic friend) and make sure he checks EVERYTHING.

i'm getting the 1995 240sx LE for 4,200 (ballpark) emission tested and certified. thats in canadian dollars.