Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

what parts can hold off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 06:40 PM

what parts can hold off?

so i bought my 240 that has the bolown motor, and im planning on doing an sr swap. i know prety much what parts ill need to get it done, but im wondering what, if any parts can hold off until the engine is in and running. like could i get the motor in and running, with out many other modifications? do i need to get a clutch kit and radiator/fans, and catback, and the whole shibang at one time, or can i hold off on some things so i can save up money and buy at a later time?
Old 10-20-2003, 08:21 PM

You can wait for some stuff. I'm waiting on a radiator since it's getting colder and I've read that some people use their stock radiators if they're in good condition. You could probably wait on the clutch, especially if you doing the swap yourself. If the clutch gets too worn, you can drop the transmission and replace it. I'm not doing my swap and I don't have the space to change it, so I'd have to pay $300 in labor for a clutch change. I went ahead and got the clutch right away. Front mount intercooler can wait but I got one right away because I'd have to pay for custom intercooler piping for a side mount, so I put that money towards a front mount that came with the piping. Exhaust can wait from what I've been told. I have an aftermarket exhaust system but it's for N/A. So I'll probably keep the boost down until I can afford a new one. The only thing I would definitely get is an electric fan for the radiator.