Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

SR20DET Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 01:15 PM

does n e one know if the SR will pass emissions? I dont really know the emission laws here in AZ?
Old 01-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ridesnowx4
does n e one know if the SR will pass emissions? I dont really know the emission laws here in AZ?
try search. However, I heard before I bought my car (from AZ) that the smog laws in AZ were pretty close to CA... which means if that's true, then the SR passing smog? probably not...
Old 01-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

it doesnt pass smog anywhere in the US...
Old 01-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
that's a pretty good explanation
Yeah 3k walked out of my house today in cash and check.

My stuff will be here soon though. I can't wait to drive this car.

The most fun I had driving a SR was in my AZ boy Blair's S14 with the same motor I got.

He needed suspension back then but the car was fast as ****.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:20 AM
Contributing Member

Now I'm wondering, just how bad does an SR20DET not pass smog? I keep tossing ideas around in my brain...

- say an SR20DET tuned stock, with 2 cats and a super stockish muffler?

- or couldn't an ECU be setup to run the engine at specs that would pass smog (albeit with less power or hp)? For example, on my old SE-R I had the JWT ECU w+NOS module. What about reversing the roles on a DET-spec ECU? Instead of regular and NOS mode, technically isn't it possible to make one with turbo mode and "pass the stupid CA smog laws" mode?

- I know some people will bring up not even passing visual inspection, but that doesn't make sense if your car does pass the required minimum levels for smog - chrome air filter or not, you know what I mean?

- 2 downpipes, 2 ECUs. one would be DET ecu and normal turbo downpipe; the other, a downpipe that connects to the tuebo manifold (and a plate to cap the manifold since you'd TAKE THE ACTUAL TURBO OFF) with a stock, non-turbo ECU?

sorry.. still figuring out how to get a daily-driven DET in my engine bay.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

i thought i heard something about turning the boost down really low, leaning out the fuel mixture, and making sure the motor is good and warm before testing?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
i thought i heard something about turning the boost down really low, leaning out the fuel mixture, and making sure the motor is good and warm before testing?
hearsay, i wont believe it till i see it. And the visual test is the biggest one, isnt that the first test that they do? If they see a bright red engine in your car, I/C piping and a turbo....on a non turbo cars(if they know) then they SHOULD automatically fail you on the spot. Not give you a try at all. Is it really worth all that hassele raine? And btw...just go to a crooked smogger, it would be way easier.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
hearsay, i wont believe it till i see it. And the visual test is the biggest one, isnt that the first test that they do? If they see a bright red engine in your car, I/C piping and a turbo....on a non turbo cars(if they know) then they SHOULD automatically fail you on the spot. Not give you a try at all. Is it really worth all that hassele raine? And btw...just go to a crooked smogger, it would be way easier.
exactly, but that of course was based on smog w/non-visual inspections (supposedly). i dunno, each state is different w/their procedures so... at any rate, the crooked smogger thing would probably be the best way to go.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, each state is different. so it could only be in california and a few other states. But since raine lives in so cal, i thought I would just add that in
Old 01-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

unless I haven't "looked" in the right places, the lowest I got quoted for a passing smog check is $300...
Old 01-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

omg dude, where are u looking!? Unless prices have skyrocketed in the past 2 months, i had a hook up of 75-100 dollars to pass smog.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:21 PM

well another regret might be speeding tickets
Old 01-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NcTwOfOuRtY
well another regret might be speeding tickets
but that can be said also for any mods you do to a car
Old 01-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
omg dude, where are u looking!? Unless prices have skyrocketed in the past 2 months, i had a hook up of 75-100 dollars to pass smog.
I guess I will be seeing you if I swap
Old 01-10-2004, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by l2aine
try search. However, I heard before I bought my car (from AZ) that the smog laws in AZ were pretty close to CA... which means if that's true, then the SR passing smog? probably not...
Hey man, just wandering. Who's that chick on the side of your message? I know i feel like a total knucklehead for asking but was just curious coz she looks pretty hot.

Quick Reply: SR20DET Regrets?