Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

sr20det rebuild burns oil... Please HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:40 PM

Angry sr20det rebuild burns oil... Please HELP!!!!

Well, I finally get my engine back together and in the car and now when I went to go break it in it started smoking oil out the exhaust. It doesn't do this that much when I'm giving it gas but when I let off the throttle the car gives off quite a bit of oil, it also smokes quite a bit when idling. Heres my build up list, JE pistons and rings, cometic headgasket, arp headstuds, nismo main bolts, eagle rods with arp bolts, new oem bearings, new oil pump/front cover, new rear main seal, etc... also the block was honed and was milled with the head. Now I didn't touch the head as far as replacing parts, though it ran fine before with that head on it. Well, after I noticed it was burning oil I took it back to my house and took out the plugs, and sure enough there was a good sized puddle of oil in each cylinder. Now the car still had decent power, its not like it didn't have compression. Needless to say I'm extremely pissed off right now, I put a ton of money and work into this engine and now this... If anyone has any ideas of what could be causing the oil to get into the cylinders on this fresh rebuild id appreciate any ideas before I haul it outa state and dish out even more money have a pro fix it. So far I think its either the rings or valve seals, but I'm sure there are other things that might cause it that I am unaware of. Thanks in advance... Also I was using 10w30 mobil drive clean 5000, which is a non synthetic motor oil.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

stock turbo?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:37 PM

Yes, it is a stock turbo, but I picked up a rebuilt turbo only a few months back and the oil seals on it were fine before. Not to mention if the oil seals on the turbo were gone I don't think it would cause oil to build up in the cylinders, would it? Any more ideas guys?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

well i would give it a compression test first off to make sure the rings have seated correctly, if that comes out good then its narrowed down to the head/turbo...i would say valve stem seals but if it never smoked before hand and your using the same ones, its should be fine, unless they were damaged somehow in the downtime. when my turbo seals were fried i was having some oil on my sparkplugs as well as in the turbo and hotpipe...check your hotpipe/BOV for any sight of oil, maybe even look inside the compressor inlet pipe, if it looks like oils in there then its most likely the turbo...maybe the turbo rebuild wasnt done correctly